Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
Hi
I have been thinking of going to France but not bothering to take out health insurance and just using the e 111 card. The premium has rocketed up because of my health problems (none of them are life threatening) any one got any expereance using e 111 or is it unwise to forgo health insurance.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Just a reminder that if you do relay on the 111 card that you must cary the card with you, on your person.

I too have been suprised at insurance premiums lately (for me). On our last visit abroad insurers now wanted to be made aware of any tests, positive or negative, that you have had in the last 5 years. I did this, declaring some tests I have had and even though they were negative; the premium rose by £15.00. Once this info is on file then it is shared amongst all and sundry. God bless technology and the internet

It's getting a little concerning the older I get.

I relise that this hasn't really answered your question but it's down to individual choice. Most European countries have good basic free medical cover but it would appear that there are issue in some. Insurance covers, in the main, private medical care.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Dont forget that in France they charge you 20% of the cost of any treatment and the rest is on E111. Plus they charge for food if you are in hospital. This applies to the French also. Cost a friend of mine £2500 for 10 days in hospital in 2009. Busby:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We have relied on EHIC and needed to use it in Germany (1 week in hospital) and France (GP appointment, prescriptions and lab tests) - no problems and relatively modest costs.
We have been able to recover excess costs above what the EHIC covers from DWP on return. You have to search hard on the website to find the form but once you have it the process is relatively easy.
Obviously, the EHIC does not cover things like repatriation which some insurance policies do.

n.b. E111 no longer exists - it was replaced by EHIC a few years ago - make sure yours is up to date.

Kevc

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Compact Leisure vehicle
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, I have a few medical conditions and find he cheapest way by far to get medical insurance is to use a premium bank account, a few quid extra a month but get medical insurance, including existing conditions, plus some other bits like RAC etc

Hope it helps

Kev

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Hi, I have a few medical conditions and find he cheapest way by far to get medical insurance is to use a premium bank account, a few quid extra a month but get medical insurance, including existing conditions, plus some other bits like RAC etc

Hope it helps

Kev

But how many weeks away do they cover. We usually are away at least 12 weeks two or three times a year. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004

Hope it helps

Kev

We tried that route but they wanted extra for 90 days away and Tez age and conditions,they ended up more than a separate travel insurance for us anyway.
Plus we already had breakdown cheaper through our insurance.
Maybe cheaper for others though.

Last edited:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Ahhh! You need to exercise a little lateral thinking here.

I shall share with you a little thing I discovered when an elderly friend was travelling abroad and had age/health issues that meant he couldn't get insurance.

Premium Bank Account. You may already have one. They cost around £15 a month, but when you are of a certain age, or have certain health conditions it actually works out very cheap indeed!

You get a better interest rate - 7% at the time, probably 2 now.
You get free travel insurance - no questions asked.
Health Insurance
You get breakdown cover
Card protection
and a few more extras to boot.

Working out the figures, the outlay of £180 a year, set against the cost of recovery (£80-£130) Card Protection (£40) Mobile Phone Insurance (£200) and Travel Insurance (£20-£300 plus) Health Insurance (£100 plus) and the interest on your account balance - you are seriously quids-in!

Have a look at the fgures, and what deals are currently available and seee if it works for you as a solution. At the time, Alliance/Leicester was the best deal - lots has happened since then, so do have a shop around!:thumb:

Kevc

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Compact Leisure vehicle
Exp
Since 2011
Yep, different accounts have different conditions, and I guess not one solution fits all.
Was just what I find cheapest for myself, think mine as standard covers upto 31 days at a time but can be extended, guessing for a cost.

Kev

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
We also were surprised how travel insurance was rocketing. We have now taken a a yearly policy with www.ehicplus.co.uk This is £109 for both of us for a full year and seems to cover the areas that concern us but does not cover things we can do without.
Cheers
Bernie

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
We also were surprised how travel insurance was rocketing. We have now taken a a yearly policy with www.ehicplus.co.uk This is £109 for both of us for a full year and seems to cover the areas that concern us but does not cover things we can do without.
Cheers
Bernie
We took out this cover yesterday and paid £95 25,you must also carry your ehic card,cover seems to cover what we need.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
We took out this cover yesterday and paid £95 25,you must also carry your ehic card,cover seems to cover what we need.

Typical, a Scot pays less than the English!:winky:

Bernie, a bitter Yorkie.:winky:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
ADAC premium plus policy includes medical cover and repatriation, plus other services, and breakdown cover for what ever vehicle you drive, all over Europe.

All for around €100 pa.

This coupled with EHIC works for us.

Its worth a look, and I have the terms and conditions in English, to large a file to upload, (tried before) so if anyone would like a copy, PM me with an e-mail address, and I will do the rest.

In the UK the breakdown service is contracted to the AA.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I recomend Insure and go ,We use them and they are cheap and a pal and his wife seem to have every illness known to man and for them both its still less than £120 pa.The pills they take must cost that a week.lol:thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I recomend Insure and go ,We use them and they are cheap and a pal and his wife seem to have every illness known to man and for them both its still less than £120 pa.The pills they take must cost that a week.lol:thumb:

Just had a look,,, 31 days max travel per trip. No good to us. BUSBY::Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back