Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
Derby
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi, me again
As our B654 (aka 'Priscilla') is quite a large vehicle, with limited rear visibility, I was considering fitting a reversing / rear view camera.
What is the current thinking on these

I can probably power a bumper mounted camera off the reversing lights, but then again a higher mounted camera could make a useful rear view mirror, but powered from what - rear lights ?

Does vibration make these cameras useless ?
There seem to be a plethora on fleabay around £100, are all cameras created equal ? Or are there minimum specifications I should look out for ?

Has this topic been exhaustively discussed elsewhere ?

Thanks in advance

Garlicmonster

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Yes this topic has been raised many times and will be raised many more times and why not.

I fitted the twin camera system, switchable from the drivers seat simply by selecting reverse or a manual overide.

One camera looks down and when driving forward we switch to the "rear view mirror" mode which itself is switchable into mirror or not mirror.

The power to my cameras is from the dash unit so there is no need for additional wiring.

I purchased it from flea-bay and fitted it myself and it works very well except that in rain it isn't such a good picture.

Hope this helps..............Griff:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You are right to be confused, I fit these often and with all the chinese copies around it is getting more difficult to source decent systems, if you don't know what you are looking for.

You need a kit with SONY cameras. These last well, and give a good quality picture. Cheaper cameras will leak, huff up and break in WEEKS!

You need a hard wired system - Wireless are fine for shorter vehicles, but get a little iffy on longer ones. It is useable, but suffers interferance - you don't want screen freeze or lost of picture/fuzzing when reversing up to a wall!

Power supply depends on age of vehicle and what is fitted to it, and also on the camera. Some cameras just have a power supply running to the rear lights which just turns the camera on when you are reversing - some have a seperate supply with a reverse lead for the lights. The letter will need a permanent power supply.

I would recommend a twin camera for the rear - one pointing down for reversing close, and another look back to see what is behind you as it is handy as a rear view.

Monitors come in different shapes and sizes, you can have one mounted on the dash, or you can have a rear view mirror type. Many like the rear view mirror type permanently wired so they have a view of what is behind them.

Lots of choices, but the main thing is camera quality!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi, me again
As our B654 (aka 'Priscilla') is quite a large vehicle, with limited rear visibility, I was considering fitting a reversing / rear view camera.
What is the current thinking on these

I can probably power a bumper mounted camera off the reversing lights, but then again a higher mounted camera could make a useful rear view mirror, but powered from what - rear lights ?

Does vibration make these cameras useless ?
There seem to be a plethora on fleabay around £100, are all cameras created equal ? Or are there minimum specifications I should look out for ?

Has this topic been exhaustively discussed elsewhere ?

Thanks in advance

Garlicmonster

First of all you need to be aware that you have to run a video cable from your camera to the monitor in the cab, yes the power to the monitor comes from whatever source you choose from the fuse box and this in most cases powers the camera via the video harness...believe me, if its done right this is no job for the faint hearted.. most professional installers will run the video cable through the interior of the vehicle, this alone requires a lot of thought as to how your going to get this cable to the front of the vehicle.. there are many cheap cameras on the market... my advice is to buy a CCD camera, 120 degree, a wider angle will distort your display which is not good for reversing.. you should also beware that if you have a Fiamma type bike rack fitted fairly high up on your vehicle and if the thought is too fit the camera below the roof line the camera's view could be partially blocked by the bikes on the rack.. I have in the last twelve months fitted three camera systems and from my experience I would fit the best CCD camera I could afford mounted as high as possible (even on the roof ) and use this camera as a 'rear view' device and then fit a set of quality reversing sensors.. this is what I did on the last install and in my opinion far better than a revering camera system:thumb: ps Next install I will use a camera with a moving lens.. one camera, one lens:Cool:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We've got a Chinese one off ebay - think it was £46ish, 3 years ago.
7" monitor.
Connected via fag-lighter.
Camera is mounted on the roofrack rear bar - gives clear vision when reversing and used permanently as rear-view mirror when driving.
Has facility to take 2 cameras - so could fit a 2nd camera at bumper level if needed...
Infra-red camera gives perfect night vision.
No problems at all with it yet.
Recommended it to a friend who has laso used his extensively for the last 2 years.

:thumb:

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
We're in the process of getting our first motorhome :Smile: it is getting a few extras fitted, when I asked about a reversing camera it was said that they're ok but can be effected by the weather like rain and bright sunlight may dazzle the camera! So we opted for parking sensors and may get a camera as a secondary source at a later date :Smile:

OP
OP
G

garlicmonster

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
Derby
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hmmmm

So it's true then. Ask a question of a forum and get ten conflicting replies :Confused:

But seriously, thanks to all for your thoughts

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We're in the process of getting our first motorhome :Smile: it is getting a few extras fitted, when I asked about a reversing camera it was said that they're ok but can be effected by the weather like rain and bright sunlight may dazzle the camera! So we opted for parking sensors and may get a camera as a secondary source at a later date :Smile:

I was thinking along the same lines as you when I fitted reversing sensors - until, despite sensors, I managed to reverse into a car which had pulled up behind me unseen! That convinced me to get a camera and I now find it amazing what can be invisible in the mirrors but only seen in the camera (eg a Transit sized van :Eeek: and more!)
So not only useful for reversing but seeing what is behind as you drive. Well worth having.

Had mine done by Dave Newell who did an excellent job. While he works on your van you can visit many attractions in Telford. Blists Hill alone will keep you occupied all day.:thumb:

Wyn

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I had one fitted by Dave Newell a few years ago and recommend him. I would not want to do it myself although I know others have. Mine is a hard-wired Camos unit and all the power comes from the monitor 12V feed. I don't use it for rear-view (mirrors for that) but I would not want to be without it for reversing. Get the camera mounted as high as possible to be most efFective.

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
I was thinking along the same lines as you when I fitted reversing sensors - until, despite sensors, I managed to reverse into a car which had pulled up behind me unseen! That convinced me to get a camera and I now find it amazing what can be invisible in the mirrors but only seen in the camera (eg a Transit sized van :Eeek: and more!)
So not only useful for reversing but seeing what is behind as you drive. Well worth having.

Had mine done by Dave Newell who did an excellent job. While he works on your van you can visit many attractions in Telford. Blists Hill alone will keep you occupied all day.:thumb:

Wyn

Thanks for the info, so don't completely trust the parking sensors! I've been thinking and reading up on one of those Kenwood double din multimedia units which has the input for a camera also Kenwood do a camera for it which has space guide's comes up on the screen. So will definitely look to put the camera a bit higher up on the shopping list :)

OP
OP
G

garlicmonster

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
Derby
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My feeling is that if I'm going to mount something to help me park, it might as well be a camera, as sensors still require power & cabling. Sensors only report on what they detect -they can't anticipate, so a kid on a bike or an off lead dog may not be 'seen' in good time.

Garlicmonster

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Sensors only report on what they detect -they can't anticipate, so a kid on a bike or an off lead dog may not be 'seen' in good time.

Garlicmonster
If you choose the right camera setup, you can get one with a microphone. I can hear what is going on behind me when the camera is switched on. Useful for hearing any children playing around the back, or to hear the copilot shout "stop" if I need guidance getting onto levelling ramps. I would suggest you consider Camos or Waeco as preferred brands. Also, I believe Brigade are a decent brand but don't know anything about them. The solution is unlikely to be cheap but well worth having in my opinion.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
And i notice with interest that most insurance companies ask if you have one so I assume there is a discount if the answer is yes, unfortunately my answer is no:roflmto:

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Reversing Camera

I fitted a hard wired kit with 5 or 6 inch screen (can't remember offhand). I scoured ebay for weeks agonising over cheap & cheerful Chinese stuff all in for around £50 or a £200 plus top notch setup.
In the end I took a risk on the Chinese stuff as our van is already 14 years old. I also bought a 15 metre video cable from another eBay supplier as I wanted a continuous feed without any joints which could be prone to failure.
It took a little care to route the cable from front to rear via various cupboards etc but we've been using it now for just under a year and I've found it indispensable for reverse parking/getting the rear overhang over the grass without quite touching that bollard etc.
As has been said, in wet weather the camera is not so sharp but it's mounted high looking down so I can see the back panel getting closer to stuff so a crystal clear image is not always critical. I've got a back window so it's never on until I need to reverse.:thumb:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I have the twin cameras system with a 7" rear view mirror monitor, I find it brilliant wouldn`t like to be without it, in bright sunshine depends whether the sun is in front or behind, if I close the side window blinds and Heiki 2 roof blind there isn`t a problem, also keeps the MH cooler for my dog.

I didn`t have it wired up to the reverse as it is touch screen I have the choice given the circumstances required. Couldn`t see much out the rear window before. definitely not the idiots who insist on driving practically on your bumper.

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
We have two reversing cameras. The screen is on the internal mirror. So glad we have them as our drivers wing mirror was shattered. I altered one of them to give me a view of the traffic behind us. This allowed us to drive home, also We could see any one overtaking us. Swear by them now. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Got a twin camera setup from DRW Electronics at one of the shows. Cost about £110 with a 15m cable and monitor. The guy did say the camera brackets had been known to rust, so to give it a good wax polish, I resprayed mine instead. I was moving some stuff around the van and banged into the monitor and cracked the mounting bracket, a phone call at 7.30 that night had a second hand bracket in the post to me f.o.c. the next day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back