Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
When we moved house I joined BT Vision for my Phone, broadband and TV but since joining I have had continual problems getting the I player programmes with them continuously buffering making it impossible to watch a programme all the way through.

I wonder if any other Funsters are experiencing or have experienced similar problems with BT Vision.

Norman

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
When we moved house I joined BT Vision for my Phone, broadband and TV but since joining I have had continual problems getting the I player programmes with them continuously buffering making it impossible to watch a programme all the way through.

I wonder if any other Funsters are experiencing or have experienced similar problems with BT Vision.

Norman

I have BT Vision with BT Sport HD and its fantastic :)

I am connected with BT Infinity... pretty quick like

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Have you done a BT Speedtest?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
BT for myself at the moment is appauling and spends most of the time buffering .I have had them dealing with my problem on and off for 3 months and four times failed to report back to me,after admitting its there fault .I am at the moment looking into getting rid of them and demanding 3 months money back .but not sure what system i can use.:Angry:

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
I've had the full package for about 8yrs. Until a month ago, my max speed was 3megs. Although we still managed to use iplayer etc. Then I noticed the advert for BTinfinty...So we signed up, we now get around 28megs and bizarrely pay a couple of quid less per month.

If your speed is low and your on non-infinity broadband and you have the old connection type phone socket, you can remove the legal part of the panel and connect directly into the internal socket, which normally increases your speed.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

Last edited:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
When mine works,i have had 150 pings DL .46mbps UP.26mbps in the last 12 years the most i have had is .5 of a gig.Needless to say i`m pi--ed off with them.:Angry:

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
BT for myself at the moment is appauling and spends most of the time buffering .I have had them dealing with my problem on and off for 3 months and four times failed to report back to me,after admitting its there fault .I am at the moment looking into getting rid of them and demanding 3 months money back .but not sure what system i can use.:Angry:

This is exactly where I am at the moment. Virgin seems to be OK but is not available where I live.

If you fond an alternative please let me know.

Thde tried to sell me BT infinity telling me I had to pay £30 for the engineer to come and install the box. I said no way - I have to pay £0 for you to fix a system that is not working?
They then passed me back to our Asian friends who have all gthe tech skills but do not know how to reset the youview box.
Pants does not come near to it.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I've had the full package for about 8yrs. Until a month ago, my max speed was 3megs. Although we still managed to use iplayer etc. Then I noticed the advert for BTinfinty...So we signed up, we now get around 28megs and bizarrely pay a couple of quid less per month.

If your speed is low and your on non-infinity broadband and you have the old connection type phone socket, you can remove the legal part of the panel and connect directly into the internal socket, which normally increases your speed.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

Just re plugged into test socket and got improved downlaod speed and no change in upload speed.

Download speed 3.13
Upload speed 0.36

Will try and see if this cures the buffering on iplayer on TV

Thanks

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Regret to say even with the improved download speed the i player is still buffering every few minutes.

pffffft

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Bt infinity and all speeds fast, bt homehub3. Everything else fine but 2 issues. Buffering on i players as you have, and should get but can't get BT sport.

I have been sent a set of instructions to DIY re- boot the you view box but that as not worked. I am now 3 weeks without contact from their help desk unit that deals with it. We can't get virgin and I won't have sky so am stuck with BT.

As soon as anything else comes along BT will be losing a life long customer, I have had enough of appalling customer service.

keithcdb

Free Member
May 31, 2013
scotland
Funster No
MH
Iveco
Exp
Its disgusting how these massive companies get away with offer x but can only supply b-! My mother is going through the same with SKY after she wanted to leave but they offer their super fibre BB which is so bad its not funny!

Some of the results are going back to dial up speeds! but they want BIG ££££'s :Eeek:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Regret to say even with the improved download speed the i player is still buffering every few minutes.

pffffft

You could try an email to the head honcho

ian.livingston@bt.com ceo

Worked for me not quite the same problem
but he replied and got a minion
To cure my problem

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Nov 30, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt autoroller 700
Exp
on and off 20 years
Gavin Patterson has replaced Ian Livingstone who has gone York for David Cameron as a trade minister.

One other thought re your issue is the TV set top box hard wired or is it wireless as you may find a cable helps.. On my youview box it recommends this.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Gavin Patterson has replaced Ian Livingstone who has gone York for David Cameron as a trade minister.

One other thought re your issue is the TV set top box hard wired or is it wireless as you may find a cable helps.. On my youview box it recommends this.

Thanks for the news and the information - my youview box is wired.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
HI AS TOFO SAID CONTACT ceo -I GOT A REPLY WITHIN 3 HRS --not that long ago and all was sorted quickly by the lady who the boss told to deal with my problem :thumb:I had alsorts of probs but mainly with TALK TALK which caused probs for me to go to BT -nightmare but all sorted
TTT probs here Broken Link Removed
terry

-

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
bt infinity

Have to say we are really surprised to read some of the comments here saying BT are not giving a good service.

We were lucky in that we were in amongst the first in the country to have access to the Fibre Optic internet, only had one problem with the hub and they were out to fix the problem the same day we reported it.

Our speed test gives us 73.00Mbps on downloads and 16.83 on uploads.
4Gb films download in 10 mins depending on time of day of course, books download in seconds.

We moved from Talk Talk to BT and there is no comparison to the better service we get from BT, we were often ofline with Talk Talk for 2 weeks at a time, obviously one size doesn`t fit all but todate we will be staying with BT.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
You could try an email to the head honcho

ian.livingston@bt.com ceo

Worked for me not quite the same problem
but he replied and got a minion
To cure my problem

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Well guys I got a rapid response to my e mail and a promise to phone when I get back from the Highland mini meet. I will let you know how I get on

Norman

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Have to say we are really surprised to read some of the comments here saying BT are not giving a good service.

We were lucky in that we were in amongst the first in the country to have access to the Fibre Optic internet, only had one problem with the hub and they were out to fix the problem the same day we reported it.

I've had BT Vision for about 10yrs. Just upgraded to Infinity a couple of months ago, which is excellent....But! Dropped a bullock! The Hub is in the bedroom which is where the master socket is located, the TV is downstairs. I've now realised if I want to upgrade to the new set top box and have BT Sport, they will have to connect an ether lead from the hub to that box...Looking at their site, they only do it internally..so that's a lengthy cable tacked through the house.....If I get the master socket moved it will be extremely expensive...Gutted :-(

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
As an add on. Just spoke to BT Vision £200 to move a master socket. I only pay £12.50 per month for BT Vision, so not worth it. Maybe time to make use of that BT Infinity....Bin BT Vision and stream in On-Demand from elsewhere.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Progress.

After sending a bit of a sarcastic email reply yesterday, today I receive what appeared to be an automated email asking me if the 2nd August help had resolved problem. I replied no, and within an hour a very nice lady from Technical support rang to say they did not have it registered as a fault. Strange, I have a fault number, but do not press this with her as I wanted a fast resolution.

Go through the usual re-booting of everything, and a test of line speeds from my end to no avail. She then did a network test from her end which showed I have a broadband network issue (despite good up and down speeds).

She has no reported this to Network Support and I will hear within 24 to 72 hours from them.

No contact from them yet, but re-booted the you view box and now receiving BT Sport channels, including the HD ones which I thought I would not get.

So far only one hang up of signal. I tried I players and still a problem there with judder and signal loss,

Lets see what happens next!

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that

Our speed test gives us 73.00Mbps on downloads and 16.83 on uploads.
4Gb films download in 10 mins depending on time of day of course, books download in seconds.

We moved from Talk Talk to BT and there is no comparison to the better service we get from BT, we were often ofline with Talk Talk for 2 weeks at a time, obviously one size doesn`t fit all but todate we will be staying with BT.

Strange ive been with aol which is now talk talk for at least 15 years and other than the early days of dial up ive not had any problems or loss of service i phone up telling them im changing to another service about every 18months to get the best deals

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
I've had BT Vision for about 10yrs. Just upgraded to Infinity a couple of months ago, which is excellent....But! Dropped a bullock! The Hub is in the bedroom which is where the master socket is located, the TV is downstairs. I've now realised if I want to upgrade to the new set top box and have BT Sport, they will have to connect an ether lead from the hub to that box...Looking at their site, they only do it internally..so that's a lengthy cable tacked through the house.....If I get the master socket moved it will be extremely expensive...Gutted :-(

I had a similar problem but having discussed it with the engineer installing infinity he suggested retaining the three pin socket transmitters and getting BT Sport on the aerial. It took a few days to set up and I had to get a new vision plus box and viewing card but is now working perfectly. His suggestion if it didn't work was to run a long Ethernet cable for infinity outside the house and back in through the wall behind the TV. So although I have infinity for iPad and PC for my main TV I am using the aerial in the same way as anyone who does not have infinity.

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012

I also had a similar issue. To resolve it I did some DIY cable bashing: I ran four Cat5e cables between my home hub location up inside the dry wall to the loft then down the outside through the wall behind the telly. I have Internet on the BT Vision box, Apple TV and one of those old fashioned BlueRay players PLUS one spare cable

Took me about two hours to run 15 metres x4 cable and complete 6x cat5e terminations

Cost nothing - I was given the cable and data jacks from a chap installing a new network at work :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Well guys I got a rapid response to my e mail and a promise to phone when I get back from the Highland mini meet. I will let you know how I get on

Norman

BT promised to phone back this evening and they did.
Asked me if my hub was connected to my youview box by a cable - Yes
Told them I had unscrewed the plate from my BT box and re plugged into the test socket that is hidden behind the plate and tested the result as recommended by an earlier post and noticed my Download speed had increased from 1.48 to 3.13 and at present have no problem with my i player.
He informs me by bypassing any connected sockets it reveals there is a wiring problem in my telephone wiring system. He suggests using a local engineer rather than BT to fix the problem as the cost would be in the region of £100 using BT.

Also mentioned I thought I had unlimited download but discovered I only have 10gb per month which I was greatly exceeding; he promised to phone me tomorrow after sorting another problem and arrange for me to get unlimited download £3 pcm cheaper than I am paying at present,

Have to admit my view of BT has changed considerably for the better after this service.

To those of you having difficulty with BT can I suggest you try this number in Newcastle and seek help from them

"We’re open Monday to Friday 8am until 8pm, Saturday 8am until 6pm Sunday and Bank Holidays 9am until 6pm you can reach us on 08000280619 ............"

Or by e mail at newcastle.technical.complaints@bt.com

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
If your exceeding your allowance they may be reducing your speed automatically....Think its called "Throttling"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back