LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
So today we found out we don't actually have an up to date habitation certificate. We thought the previous owners said they had it done and with all the paperwork we never checked. Now we have and its 16 month old.

How often should it be done. Is it like an MOT? We will get it done soon but do we get fined or anything if we happen to get stopped beforehand?

Thx

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I would add that having a regular habitation check can help when you come to sell your m/h.

However most of the jobs are quite simple and could be DIY but it's particularly worth keeping a check on damp ingress.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
do we get fined or anything if we happen to get stopped beforehand?

Thx

Nothing terrible. Fixed penalty offence so just £100 and 3 points. That's if you get caught and anyway you can take the Motorhome Awareness Course instead of the points and come away with a clean licence.

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Nothing terrible. Fixed penalty offence so just £100 and 3 points. That's if you get caught and anyway you can take the Motorhome Awareness Course instead of the points and come away with a clean licence.

Ignore Brian, hes forgotten to take his pill :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hab service is not manadatory but it may affect any converters warranty on the conversion, not mechanical

Peter

Upvote 0

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
Thanks for posting this, my sister bought a new motorhome and has mentioned Habitation Checks to me but I forgot all about it when we bought our new-to-us-RV :Doh: so it was question I never even thought to ask about.

Good to know :thumb:

Upvote 0

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
There isn't a hard and fast rule about annual habitation checks but if you want the manufacturer to honour any warranty work then it must be done or it will be invalidated. Once the warranty period has expired then you can please yourself if or when you have one done. You need to ask yourself if you want to risk driving a sponge on wheels around through neglect. We have a local body repair shop and I've seen the results of complacency and the cost to put them right, it's an eye opener.

Upvote 0

robi49

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Beith
Funster No
MH
low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hab Test

its just another way the caravan industry has devised to take some hard earned cash off you :hardhat: stan
Biggest worry is dampness and gas leaks (silent Killer)

I got a loan of a damp meter from a caravan retailer friend but my van is a dethleffs so it does not do damp according to a dealer.

Any way the 3 points and fine that Brian mentioned does not apply in Irn-Bru land as it is a dissolved issue:ROFLMAO:

robi.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
You need to ask yourself if you want to risk driving a sponge on wheels around through neglect. We have a local body repair shop and I've seen the results of complacency and the cost to put them right, it's an eye opener.

Sound advice, this explains why my sister buying a brand new MH had the Habitation Check in hand, our RV is 14 years old and (seems) to be in good shape from what we've been able to see so far but that's from layman's eyes.

If you could recommend anyone locally who could conduct a HC for us, would be grateful to know :thumb: I see you're in Lancashire, so am I.

Thanks

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
my van is a dethleffs so it does not do damp according to a dealer.
robi.

If it's got a timber frame ( not sure if it has, but most do ) then there is the potential for water ingress.

Ours got damp in the back due to the original owner backing into something and cracking the damp course. The sealing method was ridiculous, back bumper/panel glued down to habitation floor so crack that glue seal and "floor, here comes water". All so they didn't have to show a bead of sealant between the bumper and rear wall.

This rot was under and behind the toilet, very difficult to get at.

I removed the floor under the toilet with my fingernails.

It certainly has the fillet of sealant now !!

Yes, habitation checks are essential, where by dealer or DIY.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Sound advice, this explains why my sister buying a brand new MH had the Habitation Check in hand, our RV is 14 years old and (seems) to be in good shape from what we've been able to see so far but that's from layman's eyes.

If you could [HI]recommend anyone locally [/HI]who could conduct a HC for us, would be grateful to know :thumb: I see you're in Lancashire, so am I.

Thanks

We use the plumber that services our Boiler, he pressurises the gas system and leaves it hooked up to this thingee that looks like a Brickees Spirit Level with a Ladder Gauge on the front, for an Hour, to check for any leakage.
The rest is fairly basic checking for leaks .damp etc etc. I check ours over at least once a week in Winter. and in Summer after heavy Rain in all the usual places, lockers, under windows around vents etc
You'll soon get into it, and after a while can easily spot anything unusual.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
We use the plumber that services our Boiler, he pressurises the gas system and leaves it hooked up to this thingee that looks like a Brickees Spirit Level with a Ladder Gauge on the front, for an Hour, to check for any leakage.
The rest is fairly basic checking for leaks .damp etc etc. I check ours over at least once a week in Winter. and in Summer after heavy Rain in all the usual places, lockers, under windows around vents etc
You'll soon get into it, and after a while can easily spot anything unusual.

Thanks for the tips re plumber services :thumb: if they have a thingee that works well that I dont understand, that sounds good to me :Smile:. My fella lives in the RV so I think constant use helps to keep the place aired and damp at bay but we haven't had anything formally checked out yet, sounds like a sensible step :thumb:

Upvote 0

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Hi Sharon L, you can contact Rossendale Mobile Caravan Services who are NCC approved on 01706 222414 mobile 07935 762822, a guy called Kevin and someone quite close to you is Emmbee Motorhomes at Bury 0161 797 2988. I have used Todds, Baldwins and Leisure Tech at Clitheroe who also carry out habitation checks. Any coach built bodywork that is glued and screwed together is prone to damp and water ingress no matter who has manufactured it. Van conversions can suffer as well because of all the roof lights and side windows but not from floor delamination unless it has been lined with timber. There will be other members on here who could also recommend companies that carry out habitation and damp checks. As a back up I have my own damp meter which is similar if not the same as the ones that dealers use, it cost just short of £150 but I'm not qualified or authorised to issue damp certificates.
Just because a coach built motorhome might be brand new doesn't always exclude it from water ingress.

Upvote 0

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
It's all well and good having the hab checks done BUT many of the dealers do not have a qualified gas technician and so merely complete a visual test on the appliances plus I have it on very good authority that some of the 'larger' groups charge and awful lot extra to service the fridge. Just make absolutely sure you are getting what you expect to be for your money

Upvote 0

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
habitation

its not illegal or law or anything. but have it done to be on the safe side.it is your life that could be at risk.also prospective buyers may want to see the certificate if you ever want to sell it. I have mine done every year and its booked in again for next Wednesday.the cost £150. but money well spent regards steve

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
£150:Sad: Our Fella did the Gas for £40, in my backyard ,and, explained what he was doing every step of the way:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have just been quoted £170 but since the MH isn't going to be used this winter we have decided just to wait until spring and have it carried out approx. same time as MOT.

Thanks for all the replies and input.

Sandra

Upvote 0

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
gas

£150:Sad: Our Fella did the Gas for £40, in my backyard ,and, explained what he was doing every step of the way:thumb:
what a shame I don't live in cornwall that's certainly a good price .did he also give you a certificate if so im going to have a good look round here in wakefield that's got my back up regards steve

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
We have just been quoted £170 but since the MH isn't going to be used this winter we have decided just to wait until spring and have it carried out approx. same time as MOT.

Thanks for all the replies and input.

Sandra

it might seem cash prudent to wait till spring, but if you have a leak somewere and it get worse over winter there could be tears by springtime, If you havnt had a damptest in 16 months I would advise getting oe befor winter (it rains a lot then, and nothing worse than snow for melting into cracks and crevises)

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Can anyone recommended someone around leeds wakefield area to carry out a full safety check service damp check
Must be approved by insurance company's approval as I have 2 years warranty that I don't want to invalidate
I really dont want to go back to dealers unless I have to do due to lack of trust and exhoberant price

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a cheap damp meter can be purchased for around £10 and can save a fortune in the long run. check round windows sky lights and aerials etc every trip out or once a month. if you catch damp quickly it doesnt have to be a major drama

the vast majority of a habitation check is just visualy seeing things work. the gas side, too many dealers just turn the bottle on, run it up to pressure, then switch off for 10 minutes. on switching back on listen for the pressure changing indicating a leak. to be done properly a drop test needs doing with a manometer. which is a rubber hose connected to a u shaped gauge containing fluid. this shows any drop in pressure

what they dont do at a hab check is take out the fridge and service the gas or anything more than taking off the fire front and hoovering the cobwebs/dust out. its a lot of money for very little work. I would rather have the gas appliances serviced yearly, which I do myself. when I put a van up for sale I have a corgi engineer certify the gas system for the buyers peace of mind

a piece of paper saying habitation check/service is only valuable if you dont know what work it needs to get one. one caravan service place I know books them in 1/2 hour slots, so 9.00 then 9:30 etc throughout the working day. at £150 a time thats £300 an hour:Eeek:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
a cheap damp meter can be purchased for around £10 and can save a fortune in the long run. check round windows sky lights and aerials etc every trip out or once a month. if you catch damp quickly it doesnt have to be a major drama:Eeek:

Don't forget the the floors around the perimeter. Classic "not sealed" fault.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Who sells damp meters...Maplin? B&Q? Think I will try and get one today. What would be acceptable readings from it?

Upvote 0

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
If anyone is interested in buying a damp meter then you will want one that can give you an accurate reading and one that can be calibrated on a regular basis. I have a Protimeter Mini Moisture Meter which is used by most repair places and dealers. It retails at £132 plus £10 delivery and can be bought from Survey Express Services, Unit 4a Adlington Business Park, London Road, Adlington, SK10 4NL. Tel. 01625 859533. I would never be without it. I once had a bad experience so if ever I would be interested in another glued and screwed coachbuilt motorhome I would go round it with this damp meter for piece of mind.
I know of a dealer who had agreed a part exchange price with a customer to go and use a damp meter at the point of changeover to turn round and tell him that he wanted more money off him to let the deal go through because he had found damp. The guy was dropped on and parted with a considerable amount of extra money. If he had had his own damp meter he could have contested it. Not a very pleasant experience for him.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
Hi Sharon L, you can contact Rossendale Mobile Caravan Services who are NCC approved on 01706 222414 mobile 07935 762822, a guy called Kevin and someone quite close to you is Emmbee Motorhomes at Bury 0161 797 2988. I have used Todds, Baldwins and Leisure Tech at Clitheroe who also carry out habitation checks. Any coach built bodywork that is glued and screwed together is prone to damp and water ingress no matter who has manufactured it. Van conversions can suffer as well because of all the roof lights and side windows but not from floor delamination unless it has been lined with timber. There will be other members on here who could also recommend companies that carry out habitation and damp checks. As a back up I have my own damp meter which is similar if not the same as the ones that dealers use, it cost just short of £150 but I'm not qualified or authorised to issue damp certificates.
Just because a coach built motorhome might be brand new doesn't always exclude it from water ingress.

Copy
Paste
Print :active: so I can pass these along to my other half :thumb:

Thanks very much for this, appreciate it :Smile:

Sharon

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
So having read this, when you see a MH with a habitation certificate, it doesn't mean it's been completed properly?

Being new to all of this, its getting more worrying the more I read.........:crying:

So are coach built more prone to damp then please?

cheers Jakki

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
So having read this, when you see a MH with a habitation certificate, it doesn't mean it's been completed properly?

Being new to all of this, its getting more worrying the more I read.........:crying:

So are coach built more prone to damp then please?

cheers Jakki
a hab certificate is just to show somebody was paid to do checks every owner should do regularly

coach built vans are far more likely to leak

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back