inverters (1 Viewer)

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Help please
Have just got my hands on a 2100 watt modified sine inverter and it has has in instructions that it may not be suitable for all equipment and states that a pure sine inverter may be more suitable

What the hell are they on about
We have in van
The usual power requirments of most people such as phone and laptop charging a 700 watt microwave
But what I want is a good quality hd 27 or 28 inch tv and cant find a good one on 12 volt I really do like samsung ones

And I am a little unsure about this issue with modified and pure

Due to fact that we very rarely use electric hook up and rely on 2 × 110 batterys with a solar panel on roof that will charge about 7 amp on a good day I want to get this right before I spend my hard earned dosh or worse blow some thing up

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
My understanding is that very 'sensitive' stuff like laptops etc require pure sine wave. Things like toasters and kettles etc will be fine.

Hopefully someone will be along who can help you more.

To be honest I'd be more worried about the sheer amount of amps you will get through :Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My understanding is that very 'sensitive' stuff like laptops etc require pure sine wave. Things like toasters and kettles etc will be fine.

Hopefully someone will be along who can help you more.

[HI]To be honest I'd be more worried about the sheer amount of amps you will get through :Eeek:[/HI]

Me too. You could well be looking at 30-40W once the inverter inefficiency is taken into account.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as already said Peter, most motors, lighting and all heating elements will work fine on mod sinewave but electronics COULD be terminally damaged.

you do realise that if you use the inverter to its full potential it will drain your battery bank in around 40 minutes...at 2100w it will draw 175amps per hour....and your solar at 7amps is going to take just under 16 hours to put back 110amps.

probably better to bite the bullet and buy one like this for tv and charging use.

OP
OP
Peter & Elaine
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Thanks pappa john I knew it would be no good when I opened box and saw power cables like bloody jump leads
Thanks for link
Anyone want a cheap invertor :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in almost 9 years of using an inverter in my trailer i havent found anything i couldnt use . mind my mate bob as a fridge that is choosey what inverter it requires works on some not others . i power tv . laptops fridge .washing machine . you name it . i used to have a ring 2kw . but that failes earlier this year lasted well though . i tend to use it all year round . at moment its powering the fridge in the house . come november it will power fridger freezer in the trailer and anything that requires 240v .
i,m not certain but i think its a waste getting the pure sign wave inverters .

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi check out
They are 12v so no need for inverters :thumb:
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just how many watts do you think a 32 ins tv should use ? Not many that size use less plus it's 12v with all the bells and whistles :Smile:
They do smaller versions just that OP said 32 ins so I assume they will be on HU or have a big battery bank from which to run it ::bigsmile:
Terry

Steve_UK

Free Member
May 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Clubman GL
Exp
Since May 2012
as already said Peter, most motors, lighting and all heating elements will work fine on mod sinewave but electronics COULD be terminally damaged.

you do realise that if you use the inverter to its full potential it will drain your battery bank in around 40 minutes...at 2100w it will draw 175amps
[HI]per hour[/HI]....and your solar at 7amps is going to take just under 16 hours to put back 110amps.

probably better to bite the bullet and buy one like this for tv and charging use.

Or per minute, or per day, or even per second!

:ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks terry its a good deal but I just measured up and as I thought its max 28 inch otherwise it juts out into passage way

They do smaller size tvs from about 16 ins upto 32 all work on 12v :thumb: .
Terry

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back