Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Talking to a motorhome dealer at Newbury that reckons 3000 is the average mileage per year for the second hand vehicles he part exchanges. I thought this was on the low side. Is it? I have done 12500 in the last 12 months.

How many miles do you do a year in your motorhome?

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Jim,

I can't speak for the UK, but that would appear low for the U.S. Heck, we did 10,000 miles on our maiden voyage (14 weeks, across the southern states, around the maritime provinces of eastern Canada, then back home via the northern states).

Last edited by a moderator:

geofliz

Free Member
Feb 3, 2008
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
L P Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years. 29 as a tugger
Hey Tom, you obviously do not pay the same for your fuel as we do!:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
On the M25 Tom you'll be lucky to do 14 Miles in 10,000 weeks:ROFLMAO:
Geo

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
.. you obviously do not pay the same for your fuel as we do!

Not yet, but we're fast catching up.

I'll let you into a secret ..... the motivation for the maiden voyage was that, by taking delivery out of state and keeping the coach out of state for 90 days, we didn't have to pay sales tax. That was a savings of $15,000. Since diesel was IIRC less than $2/gallon at that time, I figured we could use the tax savings to pay for the trip (fuel and campgrounds).

We had only 3 fixed waypoints:

1. A rally of my forum members in Moab, Utah.

2. See the kids in Kentucky.

3. Home at the end of the trip.

Everything else was unplanned. We'd get up in the morning and toss a coin to decide if we'd go or stay. If it came up heads, we'd stick a pin in the map and off we'd go.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
I've heard lots of stories of the M25. We have a few freeways like that here, but we also have hundreds of miles in between with little or not traffic.

geofliz

Free Member
Feb 3, 2008
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
L P Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years. 29 as a tugger
Sometimes if we are very lucky we can go a mile or so with no traffic.

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Will you stop it Tom!
You're making me jealous. I spent a few years working for companies based in Utah (Provo, Orem and Lindon) and then for one in the Bay area. Barbara and I drove down I-15 to Vegas visiting Bryce and Zion canyons but ran out of time before we got to Arches. Possibly some of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. We then flew onto our son's in Sacramento who was just flying home from a friends beach house at Pismo beach. Watching the video just about every type of motorised vehicle seemed to be blasting around in any direction. If it's really like that it must be one of the most insane places ever!

Regards
Doug
ps love the boat. What is it?

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I've heard lots of stories of the M25. We have a few freeways like that here, but we also have hundreds of miles in between with little or not traffic.

I left the bay area at 4pm on a Friday evening and finally arrived at Sacramento at 11pm! The first 25 miles took 3 hours. Think I'll keep to the M25!

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
We got ours three years ago and it had done 14,000miles in seven years.
We've since put another 16000 on it in those three years.
We met a couple at the weekend who've done 90,000 in the last five years, :Eeek: albeit
full time travelling :thumb:

regards...nige

sersol

Free Member
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
Hi Jim,

This sounds like yet another ploy to shaft people when trading in.That figure seems to be going down,last time I changed the salesman told me the average was 5500 per year.Still that will appeal to the "half gallon rally mob":roflmto::roflmto:
3000 miles a year,my motor has not warmed up at that :roflmto::roflmto:.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I reckon we will do 1500 miles on our trip to Franceext week. I hope in total we will manage arround 5000 mile this year.

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
I've done 3000 miles between September and April and will now probably knock up 8000 miles over the next 6 months which means my Van at 2.5 years old will have covered 13000 miles. As the Dealer who sells it to his next prospective customer will say not even run in yet.
It's nothing to do with the mileage i believe its down to how much use the Habitation area has had.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it all depends if we 'do' europe.

last trip to spain was a little over 2000mls but this year i'v done about 300mls.:thumb:

some of us just cant get away as often as we'd like.:Angry:
fuels not the issue, yet, its finding the time.
money spent on fuel = money spent on flights,accomodation, food ect so whats the difference, cost wise.:Doh:

john.

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Doug,

I worked for Bay Area companies for over 30 years, including while we lived in the UK. Bay Area traffic is definitely crazy, and was one reason we moved out of the south Bay (San Jose). When we did that, my commute (22 miles) went from 40 minutes to 20 minutes. Within 5 years it had gone to 2 hours. On the way to work I'd look around and see poeople eating their breakfast, shaving, reading the paper, brushing their teeth, putting on makeup, and these were the car drivers.

I jokingly tell people it was easier for me to go to Singapore than to the office; A limo would pick me up at the house, so I could relax and didn't need to worry about the driving. At the airport I'd be in a VIP lounge, and on the plane I'd be in business or first class. Nothing to do but relax, eat, drink and sleep while over the Pacific.

I left the bay area at 4pm on a Friday evening and finally arrived at Sacramento at 11pm! The first 25 miles took 3 hours.

Friday evening was the key; Everyone is rushing to get out of town for the weekend. En route to Sacramento you probably came within 20 miles of where we now live (a long way from Bay Area traffic).

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Mo and Dick with the Big Pitch Guide have done less than 2,000 in the last eighteen months - simply because the blasted book has taken over our lives and we spend all of our time telling other people where to go - in the nicest possible way :RollEyes::RollEyes:

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just had mine serviced at 12months old near enought to the day and its had done 5107. It will hopefully do more this year with a trip to France etc.

So I would say 6000>9000 for us and we work full time and only use the van in school holidays etc.

Richard...

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
I polled 3-6000.I have kids you see,and they do like to do these activitys at weekends,such as football and swimming:Angry: My boy trains on a saturday and plays on the sunday from August through to april,so not alot of chance to get away during this period.frustrating or what.:Doh:

steve

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Just finished our first year full timing in the van and it's done around 12,000 in that period! :Eeek:
Reckon we'll probably do at least the same in the next 12 months too! :Eeek

Our last van - a VW Autosleeper Trident - used for work and holidays as we were both working full time - did 130,000 in 7 years!!

Don't buy a used van off us!!!:Blush: It's bound to be well used!

Marie
:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back