Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Tealby, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Last time I was in Betws y Coed they had a jobsworth checking if all 4 wheels fitted into the parking spaces. I don't think my 4 wheels will fit anymore. Does anyone know if there is a warden safe area thereabouts, maybe on the outskirts, where I could park my 6.36 metre Rapido?
Thanks.

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
have you seen this...

Link Removed

I have also stayed here ... very windy >> On the A5 between Betws-y-Coed and Bethesda. Near the lake is a large layby on the right hand side. Mountains on either side of the road.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scallywag

Scallywag

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Tealby, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Looks nice from the air, for a cup of tea stop - but a bit of a hike into Betws y Coed - 8 miles? Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Was there in July and so nobody checking the large carpark past the railway station there was also 2 bays for MHs
If you turn off to the caravan club site you could probably park on the road side

OP
OP
Scallywag

Scallywag

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Tealby, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks,

I thought they looked like large spaces from the aerial google view - will give it a whirl, and keep cc site in mind, if I luck out. Also looks like there is a coach park/lorry park at the end of the station road - but doubt if motorhomes allowed.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Last time I was in Betws y Coed [HI]they had a jobsworth checking if all 4 wheels fitted into the parking spaces.[/HI] I don't think my 4 wheels will fit anymore. Does anyone know if there is a warden safe area thereabouts, maybe on the outskirts, where I could park my 6.36 metre Rapido?
Thanks.

Nothing personal but I find such terminology objectionable. A parking attendant checking compliance with regulations is nor more a "jobsworth" than is a shop assistant insisting on correct payment for goods.

That sort of language is also counter productive as regards attempts to obtain more parking facilities for motorhomes. If the initial approach to council officials is to be an insulting one, what sort of reaction can we expect? It is hardly likely to generate a sympathetic response is it?

OP
OP
Scallywag

Scallywag

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Tealby, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
While your point has merit, I was the one who met the man in question. A dictionary will tend to define a jobsworth along these lines: "A person in authority who insists on adhering to rules and regulations or bureaucratic procedures even at the expense of common sense" This was the case in this instance - the poor chap who was booked in his small transit based MH was merely on the lines, in a far from full car park, as best as I could ascertain. Common sense could, and should, have prevailed - a point I made to the warden at the time. Conversely, I think a shop assistant should expect correct payment for goods. My personal viewpoint - yours is fine too.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Having lived in LLanrwst, just down the road from Betws y Coed, the biggest single source of income is tourism. HSBC in Betws at one time was the busiest branch per member of staff in the UK, the Station café and shop was owned by a bloke called Frank (surname, I can’t remember).
The shopkeepers were always complaining about the number of car park slots and they were more than happy to turn most of them over to buses and coaches, sheer number of footfall. So thereof spaces were at a premium and as the season there is very short, IT RAINS as most of you will be aware.
So both of you are right, the man was carrying out his duties/job , I suppose his position was created as a result of some users abusing the system.

Heads you win etc..

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
This is common. A lot of councils say the wheels must fit within the bay. Others say the whole vehicle must fit in the bay. I have also come across regulations that say only 30cm overhang is permitted front and/or rear. The standard parking bay is 5m x 2.5m

The thinking behind these regulations is weight, If a vehicle does not fit in the bay it will, they calculate, exceed the permitted weight limit for the car park.

It is for this reason that a lot of height barriers are erected, restricting the car park use to cars only.

I have encountered one authority that has a 1 ton un-laden limit but said motorhomes could park. Others have a 1500kg limit. The lightest campervans come in at about 1800kg.

Campervans are picked out for PCNs and other heavier vehicles are not. Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
While your point has merit, I was the one who met the man in question. A dictionary will tend to define a jobsworth along these lines: "A person in authority who insists on adhering to rules and regulations or bureaucratic procedures even at the expense of common sense" This was the case in this instance - the poor chap who was booked in [HI]his small transit based MH was merely on the lines[/HI], in[HI] a far from full car park[/HI], as best as I could ascertain. [HI]Common sense could, and should, have prevailed[/HI] - a point I made to the warden at the time. Conversely, I think a shop assistant should expect correct payment for goods. My personal viewpoint - yours is fine too.
Perhaps common sense did prevail. Whilst the car park might have been far from full at the time, would it have been half an hour later (say)? MH parks on the lines, other vehicles budged over, leads to loss of one or more parking bays. Car driver arrives and can't park - "but I would have been able to if that ****** campervan was parked properly".

This is common. A lot of councils say the wheels must fit within the bay. Others say the whole vehicle must fit in the bay. I have also come across regulations that say only 30cm overhang is permitted front and/or rear. The standard parking bay is 5m x 2.5m

The thinking behind these regulations is weight, If a vehicle does not fit in the bay it will, they calculate, exceed the permitted weight limit for the car park.

It is for this reason that a lot of height barriers are erected, restricting the car park use to cars only.

I have encountered one authority that has a 1 ton un-laden limit but said motorhomes could park. Others have a 1500kg limit. The lightest campervans come in at about 1800kg.

Campervans are picked out for PCNs and other heavier vehicles are not. Broken Link Removed

The problem is that many of our car parks were designed/built decades ago when family cars were smaller, let alone motorhomes. The foundations of many of our car parks are designed for regular use by vehicles of under 2 tonnes, not motorhomes and the like.

It is perfectly true that many other vehicles these days are over 1.5 (even 2) tonnes - but motorhomes (and commercial vans) are only "picked out" because it is easy to identify them as overweight where that is rather more difficult with large saloons and 4x4 vehicles. Would anyone think it practical for a parking officer to demand that a 4x4 bonnet be lifted to enable inspection of a weight plate?

In cases where there is a weight restriction but the council involved allows motorhomes (but possibly not commercial vans) to park, it is because they recognise the tourist usage and decide to relax the enforcement of the legislation rather than go to the expense of bringing in another TRO (and, thereby, running the risk that objections might mean all large vehicles would end up being banned).

Overall, what might seem to be a simple matter where "common sense" (i.e. common sense as seen from a partisan perspective) is easy to apply is, in reality, often not the case.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Last time we were in Betwys we parked by the church building here with our back end overhanging the strip of grass next to the church. Our van is 7 metres with the bike rack down, and we fitted in the bay, but it has to be said the place is very busy in the tourist season.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
While your point has merit, I was the one who met the man in question. A dictionary will tend to define a jobsworth along these lines: "A person in authority who insists on adhering to rules and regulations or bureaucratic procedures even at the expense of common sense" This was the case in this instance - the poor chap who was booked in his small transit based MH was merely on the lines, in a far from full car park, as best as I could ascertain. Common sense could, and should, have prevailed - a point I made to the warden at the time. Conversely, I think a shop assistant should expect correct payment for goods. My personal viewpoint - yours is fine too.

It does rather seem to me that this warden was just doing his job. If the vehicle was parked on the line, that is with a tyre on the line, it follows that the bodywork might have been over or very nearly over it and encroaching on the next space. Even if the bodywork was on the line that would render the next space unusable or difficult to use. It does not mater how many cars were or were not in the car park at the time since neither the warden, the transit driver, or you would have known how busy it might become later with a shortage of spaces.

I expect the warden was delighted for your advice when you made your point to him, but your entreaties fell on stony ground as the warden obviously did not agree with you and issued he ticket. He was probably best placed to decide whether or not the manner of parking, which appears careless, deserved the ticket.

By the way I have parked our Rapido A class in the car parks at Betws y Coed and inside the lines without problem. I am particularly careful as I don't want someone in the next space banging their door against the motorhome.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
We parked in the car park by the Railway there are dedicated motorhome spaces at the bottom of the car park and overnighting is allowed.

If memory serves me right there were about 6 or 7 spaces they are clearly marked.

Sonja

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Confirming what Red Sonija says, the large car park by the station has several large bays down the very bottom of the car park specifically for motorhomes , we have stayed there many times, stayed 2 or 3 times this year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back