Ajren

Free Member
May 18, 2008
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Toyota Hiace
Exp
I am importing a Toyota Hiace (1996) campervan and believe it has a 110v hookup,
has anyone done the same? How do I get the electrics changed and what is the cost involved?

Thanks Guys

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Welcome to the Fun Ajren!

Sorry I can't help with your question but hopefully someone on here can:winky:

Is it a self import? I recently trawled around the web looking at the 'Bongo' etc variants on offer... some dealers offer a conversion service... might be worth looking around and doing some picking of their brains...

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Ajren and welcome
All of us here with American RVs have experience of 110 volts and conversion
what we need to know to help you better is what equipment you have on board that MUST have 110 and cant be converted, the simplest stop gap solution is o put a site drop down transformer in line and run it all on the 110 intended ,this is purely a stop gap method and not recommended long term,get back to us with more info
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
That's exactly what I had to do when I imported a new Water heater with 110 volt and gas .

Works well but, as you stressed, not for fulltiming use.

I remember a long thread some time ago covering this subject.

I wired in a new 240 volt system myself with MCB / Rcb's and tested it ok.

The old 240 volt system had been in there for some years and needed to be replaced as a matter of electrical safety.:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Ajren

Free Member
May 18, 2008
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Toyota Hiace
Exp
Thanks Guys,

Looks like 2 options, Get a hookup lead for the campsite with the blue plug and plug it into a yellow site transformer then plug the output into the van, I guess I could then run something from Maplins to get a 240v plug socket in the van using a travel plug adaptor for the Japanese socket.

Or pay out to get sockets and electrics changed to give me UK sockets in the van
but still have the fridge, lights, battery charger running at 110v by some sort of inline transformer.

I think I'm getting an Idea of whats involved now!

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi again Yup I think your grasping it, the proper kit is a transformer that lets 240 straight thro to you new ring main ifyou put one in, and drops to 110v for you fridge etc its just a case of spliting the circuits you can after spliting use the Jap wiring and just change sockets after establishing the Jap cable is up to the job, normally 110 cable is heavier than 240 so should be ok, there's going to be somone who will contradict that statment I just know it,:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Just bear in mind the total load anticipated and double it for the transformer rating to be on the safe side.

normally 110 cable is heavier than 240 so should be ok, there's going to be somone who will contradict that statment I just know it,:ROFLMAO:

Needs to be as the current drawn is effectively doubled, as near as dammit, for a given wattage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just bear in mind the total load anticipated and double it for the transformer rating to be on the safe side.

Needs to be as the current drawn is effectively doubled, as near as dammit, for a given wattage.

You know that and I know that, BUT we're treading on electrical toes here:RollEyes:, I expected some one to get back quoting Part P of the electrical instalation regs:Doh::ROFLMAO:
GeO

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back