LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Apologies if this has been covered but I am unable to search the forum.

We are looking to buy heavy duty levelling up ramps for our new Sprinter van. Our old van's ramps may not be strong enough and are not as high as we would like. They are, however, wedged and allow fine adjustments to be made to get perfect levelling.

Most of the new and bigger ramps appear to be stepped rather than wedged. Is there any advantage to stepped ramps over wedges? We can only see that they would be less likely to allow the van to slip down the ramp but on the downside, they would not allow the fine adjustments that wedges permit.

Your thoughts please.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Apologies if this has been covered but I am unable to search the forum.

We are looking to buy heavy duty levelling up ramps for our new Sprinter van. Our old van's ramps may not be strong enough and are not as high as we would like. They are, however, wedged and allow fine adjustments to be made to get perfect levelling.

Most of the new and bigger ramps appear to be stepped rather than wedged. Is there any advantage to stepped ramps over wedges? We can only see that they would be less likely to allow the van to slip down the ramp but on the downside, they would not allow the fine adjustments that wedges permit.

Your thoughts please.
Hi Matty,

Although I do like the Millenco levelling ramps, I feel that there are A, heavy, and B, too bulky for storage. We have a pair of strong ribbed platic ramps capable of taking the weight a 7.5 tonner, but they are not as high as the Millencos.
If the pitch slopes downwards, I reverse on. If it slopes upwards, I drive on, then use our ramps (if needed).

There are plenty of different models and sizes to view >>Here<<

Cheers,

Jock.

P.S. If wild camping, always consided reversing on to your ramps. That way, (in an emergency for example) you can make a quick exit, leaving the ramps behind. :winky:

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks Jock.

We have 2 pairs of wedged ramps and have used them successfully but have, on occasion, needed more height than they can provide - hence wanting to get higher ones. However, we are not clear as to the advantages of what appear to be the most popular design - the type with 3 or 4 steps. I can't see that they are more flexible with height adjustment but is that less critical as vans get bigger?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , I personally use and recommend Milenco Quattros , as said big and bulky, but do the job v.well I also take 1 yellow fiamma for the third wheel just for perfection , bit of over kill, but on some 5 van sites the pitches slope both ways.
:sin: Terry:sin:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We have 2 pairs of wedged ramps and have used them successfully but have, on occasion, needed more height than they can provide - hence wanting to get higher ones. However, we are not clear as to the advantages of what appear to be the most popular design - the type with 3 or 4 steps. I can't see that they are more flexible with height adjustment but is that less critical as vans get bigger?

Ok.the main advantage,as I see it,of stepped ramps is that I can count the steps as I drive up them ::bigsmile: With sloped ramps I would need someone to indicate where I am on the ramp.

'Level' is subjective,and not something I would spend a lot of time getting absolutely correct.
For example-we have a cross level mounted on our kitchen work surface,it was there when we bought the van,and we level up using that.But,is the work surface level when the van is level? where is the optimum place to measure ? Bed ? dining table ? kitchen work surface?
top of fridge or boiler maybe ?

As already posted some pitches tilt both ways ::bigsmile: So-3 steps up on one side,2steps on other.
I'm afraid there's lots more to do than spend time getting van absolutely level :thumb:
So long as things work and we 'feel' level,then that's ok for us.

Mike

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I would personally go for the Quattros as they offer a good selection of levels.
If the ground slopes two ways I set the ramps up so that the MH goes onto one step on one side, then the second step on that side plus the first step on the other side and so on. Usually find that this cures it. Off-set them, I think is the term. With a little practice you will soon get the hang of it.

We use the kitchen worktop too. Some people use the shower floor so that the water runs away down the plug hole, but you have to allow for the fall of the shower floor. To much faffing about for me, so the kitchen worktop it is.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Ramping up

Like Knockingonabit and Fidget, we use Millenco Quattros. Even allowing for the front wheel compression, they give a good lift and like others have said, you can reverse on when the slope is extreme and you can set one further away if the slope varies each side. Yes they are bulky, but they are much better than any we have owned before.

Cheers, Gary

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
But can you reverse on them with a JUDDERER (new shape Fiat,Peugeot Citroen) BUSBY:roflmto:

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Ramps

If you put the ramp in front of the rear wheel, you can drive up it and even the judderers won't judder running back down.......might need to get the boss to stand behind though, if the slope is really steep!:ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Matty,

Although I do like the Millenco levelling ramps, I feel that there are A, heavy, and B, too bulky for storage. We have a pair of strong ribbed platic ramps capable of taking the weight a 7.5 tonner, but they are not as high as the Millencos.
If the pitch slopes downwards, I reverse on. If it slopes upwards, I drive on, then use our ramps (if needed).

There are plenty of different models and sizes to view >>Here<<

Cheers,

Jock.

P.S. If wild camping, always consided reversing on to your ramps. That way, (in an emergency for example) you can make a quick exit, leaving the ramps behind. :winky:

It should be noted Jock does frequent wild spots, frightening owners of good quality ramps into running off and leaving them behind.:winky:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
As many funsters have already said the Millenco Quattros are the sturdiest, even though they might be heavy, Margaret has got pulling them out of their bag and setting them in place, down to a fine art now:thumb:

Someone else said there was more to do than making sure you are level, however, this is necessary if you're nose down and need to be at the correct level to ensure your shower tray drains away properly.

Bill

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
As many funsters have already said the Millenco Quattros are the sturdiest, even though they might be heavy, Margaret has got pulling them out of their bag and setting them in place, down to a fine art now:thumb:

[HI]Someone else said there was more to do than making sure you are level, however, this is necessary if you're nose down and need to be at the correct level to ensure your shower tray drains away properly.
[/HI]
Bill

and it needs to be fairly level for the fridge to work properly. so many people seem to have no idea and just blame it on a crappy fridge:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
and it needs to be fairly level for the fridge to work properly. so many people seem to have no idea and just blame it on a crappy fridge:thumb:

Yes, of course it needs to be level for the fridge as well. But I hate the job of forcing all the water "uphill" towards the drain if it's not :cry:
Just a slight "nose up" is ideal for us, hope the next van will be more level::bigsmile:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, of course it needs to be level for the fridge as well. But I hate the job of forcing all the water "uphill" towards the drain if it's not :cry:
Just a slight "nose up" is ideal for us, hope the next van will be more level::bigsmile:

For us,a 'slight nose up' means that shower tray will not empty-it's all compromise and 'horses for courses'
It was me that said 'there's more to do than level the van' by which I meant that in the grand scheme of things being a degree or two out was not really a disaster.and. providing every thing worked ok I'd rather get on with enjoying the time at that location-I can roll the van back when we shower ::bigsmile: it has an engine and brakes :ROFLMAO:
Mike

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It should be noted Jock does frequent wild spots, frightening owners of good quality ramps into running off and leaving them behind.:winky:
That's why I've got a boot full of them now Geo, which I'm flogging off @ £25 a pair. A real bargain, eh? :ROFLMAO:

Cheers,

Jock.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Level van

Heck, pour a G&T, stick it on the table, look at the level, take a swig, top it up, take a swig - and then who cares if the van is level or not!

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks for the advice - we like the idea of the Milenco but need to check storage options - they certainly seem taller than our existing ones.

I'm not aiming for 100% level but would like to know that I'd have the flexibility to be flat enough to drain the shower, not roll out of bed and avoid any risk of my G&Ts / wine / whisky slipping off the table :winky:

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
I'm certainly happy with Quatros after trying and disliking many other types in the past. Watch out for some types which have a steep run onto the first step as your wheels will simply push them away or spin against them. Also the carry bags are not built to last so find a suitably sized canvas holdall to store them in. (also prevents a few nipped fingers)
Geoff.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The anti-slip plates with our current Fiamma ramps have been useful and have allowed us to use ramps when it has been so sandy that the ramps have slipped if the plates were not used.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Levelling ramps

Thanks for the advice - we like the idea of the Milenco but need to check storage options - they certainly seem taller than our existing ones.

I'm not aiming for 100% level but would like to know that I'd have the flexibility to be flat enough to drain the shower, not roll out of bed and avoid any risk of my G&Ts / wine / whisky slipping off the table :winky:

You must have a huge van if you can fit the bed in the shower with a table alongside for the g and t.........:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
You must have a [HI]huge [/HI]van if you can fit the bed in the shower with a table alongside for the g and t.........:ROFLMAO:

More like a very small one - almost a "studio van" - shower, bed and table all in one room! Oops - that is the camper that we have replaced with the new (to us) one.

Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
I just got a set of quattros, Holy sh!t they are huge, certainly look very strong and up to the task but I cant fit them in my tiny garage! thinking of changing them to the triples which seem a good compromise

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I was concerned about the size but fortunately we can accommodate them and expect that we will need the height gain that they provide - we used them last weekend on the only remaining space on a site - without the huge levellers, we would have rolled out of bed or had to find another site.

I would, however, like some chocs to go with them as I have to take the hand break off in order to turn the seats around. Rolling down the chocs every time we got ready for bed was not fun.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back