Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
hi

I am picking up Irish TV here in North Wales on my freeview but my TV says video format not supported. I have sound just no picture. I assume this means i when I go to Ireland then my British TV will not display Irish TV. does anyone know a work around for this? and does an Irish Tele display both UK and British channels or just Irish?

cheers

Steve

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
hi

I am picking up Irish TV here in North Wales on my freeview but my TV says video format not supported. I have sound just no picture. I assume this means i when I go to Ireland then my British TV will not display Irish TV. does anyone know a work around for this? and does an Irish Tele display both UK and British channels or just Irish?

cheers

Steve

Irish TV uses a more recent codec. The workaround is to buy a Freeview HD set top box or PVR. Freeview HD uses the more recent codec also. As well as Irish standard definition, this will also enable you to receive high definition DVB-T2 transmissions in the UK.

I would guess that an Irish TV will support the older codec and would work in the UK, but that is only a guess. It might not support DVB-T2, so might not get High Definition in the UK.

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
My post on this.

I posted recently on this and experienced exactly the same, sound but no vision. The quoted text below was lifted off a website selling Avtex TVs

If you need TV in southern Ireland you will need an Irish set top box for Irish programmes or a satellite set up to view UK TV. See below for explanation.

" Republic of Ireland Digital TV Switch Over

In October 2012 the R.O.I. turned off Analogue Terrestrial TV Broadcasts and therefore now only have a Digital TV service. The Broadcast Standard chosen by the Irish Authorities is different to the rest of Europe and as such any Standard Definition TV's bought in the UK or else where in Europe will not work in Ireland.

You can watch British and European programmes via satellite whilst in R.O.I. but not RTE.

If you have a normal TV and want to watch Irish Broadcasters such as RTE then you will need to purchase an Irish set top box in Ireland. Their equivalent to Freeview is called Saorview."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I posted recently on this and experienced exactly the same, [HI]sound but no vision[/HI]. The quoted text below was lifted off a website selling Avtex TVs

If you need TV in southern Ireland you will need an Irish set top box for Irish programmes or a satellite set up to view UK TV. See below for explanation.

" Republic of Ireland Digital TV Switch Over

In October 2012 the R.O.I. turned off Analogue Terrestrial TV Broadcasts and therefore now only have a Digital TV service. The Broadcast Standard chosen by the Irish Authorities is different to the rest of Europe and as such any Standard Definition TV's bought in the UK or else where in Europe will not work in Ireland.

You can watch British and European programmes via satellite whilst in R.O.I. but not RTE.
If you have a normal TV and want to watch Irish Broadcasters such as RTE then you will need to purchase an Irish set top box in Ireland. Their equivalent to Freeview is called Saorview."

Sounds like getting back to the 'Irish Jokes' scenario, i.e.

What do you call an Irish TV that you can't see.? A Radio:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back