A question about motorhome prices... (1 Viewer)

davcom1

Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Torquay
Funster No
MH
Drop down bed, rear w/r
Exp
6 months
First off, hello everyone! :Smile:

Forgive me if I'm going over well-trodden ground with this one but...

I'm looking at getting a not-too-old motorhome for myself and my other 'arf plus 2 dogs (Collies) to have breaks in. Could be a couple of nights or couple of weeks but UK to start with.

I'd also like to be able to take the mother-in-law with us sometimes (honest!) so would prefer at least 3 berth and 3 travelling seats - so many vans seem to only offer 2 belted seats!

Washroom and convenient bed setup are far more important than the kitchen to us. Would not expect to need a full oven.

3500kg licence.

Our budget will be up to around £30k.

Here's the questions: (apologies if I've gone mad with these!)

First off, why does there seem to be a huge difference between "entry level" and "top end" prices? Are the luxuries really worth twice the money or are they more for show?

I prefer the look of compacts but would an over-cab be more practical?

How much discount can I look to achieve from a mh dealer if paying without finance in terms of forecourt price?

Can anyone suggest a min. 3 passenger/berth motorhome secondhand that is likely to suit a 30k budget?

I've started a shortlist - Chausson Flash 08, Chausson Suite Mini / Maxi, Swift Escape 664, CI Carioca 694 and AutoTrail Excel 600S - any views on these?

I don't want to start a war here as I accept everyone has different tastes and these vans are likely to be your pride and joy. :active:

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

David

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
There will be loads of options at that budget for that number of berths. You'll have to make your own mind up on quality Vs price but yes, with some exceptions normally the higher price for a same age motorhome is because of the build quality (sometimes the perceived build quality).

Your best bet is to get yourself around a few dealers and go and sit in them (the motorhomes). Get a feel for what sort of internal layout you might prefer which also suits your sleeping/travelling needs. Once you've narrowed down your choices things get a little easier but everyone has an opinion on the best van so you need to make that choice yourself.

It's a shame you've missed some of the more local outdoor motorhome shows as they are a good place to see loads of vans in one go/weekend. There is one coming up in Lincoln but that's a bit of a trek for you (but may be worth it).

Good luck and let us know how you progress!
Bryan

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well, I was taking this post seriously.....until I read the bit about the mother in law :RollEyes:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
my 2 peneth would be ,, layout, build quality, storage. we have owned swift group, CI and now Adria. the CI was our previous van a Carioca 746 2008 we may have been unlucky but had a number of issues from new, Hab door twisted, interior roof de laminating, external locker hinges falling off, layout was great as was storage and payload.

no part ex is a better price reducer than cash ( dealers often get cash benefits from selling you HP ) i would haggle on no part ex and let the dealer come up with a price before mentioning no HP.

there are so many vans available at £30 ish so dont rush ( but that wont be easy ) and dont be bullied into the " this deal is only available if you buy today" line.

good luck. :thumb:

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
You are asking about an overcab bed. When we first looked at motorhomes we scoffed at the idea of climbing up there to sleep. We thought we'd try it just for a 'larf'::bigsmile: Well we were surprised at how good it was and with the recent addition of a topper we have a huge comfy bed which we don't have to unpack bedding for each night and no need to stow bedding each morning. Just lift the edge and it's all out of sight. Climbing a couple of steps is no problem (we have a full flight of stairs at home!) even after Jean's knee replacement. Don't dismiss it without trying it:thumb:

Wyn

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

davcom1

Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Torquay
Funster No
MH
Drop down bed, rear w/r
Exp
6 months
Thanks all for the knowledgeable hints and tips so far.

I must admit the overcabs seem more sensible inside and we are youthful 40-somethings so a ladder doesn't faze us. However, I was wondering about the extra weight and fuel that an overcab body would bring.

We have looked at a bunch of motorhomes already (Alan Kerr in Paignton) and they are all fantastic compared to the humble VW T25 camper we once owned. (and never ever slept in!!)

Thanks also for the info on the CI Carioca. I have already read a review where the brand new model on test had various issues so that worries me.

We will try to get to the Shepton Mallet show or failing that, perhaps the NEC in October although I understand that the NEC show will be new models only.

With regards to the dealers, thanks for the tips. Having only been to the one so far, it was clear that they were keen to sell their finance.

Well guys, you are living up to the claim of being a friendly and helpful bunch, that's for sure! :thumb:

Safe travels.

David

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome!

Don't rush into your purchase! Layout is a major consideration, are you a lounger or an outdoorsy type? Do you have loads of outdoor type kit? A garage would be useful for that! If you are a lounger, then there's nothing better than a rear lounge for putting your feet up!
However, that rear lounge won't provide you with belted seats for rear passengers!
Are you an all-year round user? If so, check out the winterisation. Many vans fall flat on their face in this aspect alone!
Are you going to wild camp or use sites exclusively? If you wild it, you'll need bigger tank capacities or you'll be forever searching for water rather than enjoying your new found freedom!
You'll have the Mother-in-Law along, does your prospective motorhome have a large enough washroom to get changed in comfortably?
How long is your drive? Will it fit? If your drive is short, then don't dismiss an overcab, it's a fantastic space multiplier!

Good luck in your search!:thumb:

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Oh, BTW, the Lincoln show is usually good for some attractive deals.

There'll be lots of Funsters there if you want someone to help you spend your cash!!:winky:

You won't go far wrong with a Chausson either. Good winterisation, excellent spec for the money and those all-important big water tanks!
Ours has taken us to the highest resort in the Alps and coped with -25 temperatures with no modification needed other than a bucket under the waste tap to catch our grey waste!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Hi,You should look at a 5/6 year old Knaus Sun-Ti and compare the build quality to those vans you have mentioned.We did and were convinced and now after owning for two years have no regrets.Great vans....easy to drive, great quality and very little goes wrong...(or at least nothing really has for us) Good luck with your search.:thumb:

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Take a look around Shepton Mallet Show, you don't have to buy, look at the lay outs, Forget the knick knacks, you can always add them later, and remember, YOU don't have to spend your 30k to get what you want, start by looking at the cheaper ones first ,THEN work up:thumb:

Not quite what you want? but the basics are there? YOUR winter project:thumb: making it how YOU want it:thumb:

There be Funsters there, if you are stuck I'm sure one will help and give advice if asked:thumb: That's what we are all about:Cool:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

davcom1

Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Torquay
Funster No
MH
Drop down bed, rear w/r
Exp
6 months
Oh, BTW, the Lincoln show is usually good for some attractive deals.

There'll be lots of Funsters there if you want someone to help you spend your cash!!:winky:

You won't go far wrong with a Chausson either. Good winterisation, excellent spec for the money and those all-important big water tanks!
Ours has taken us to the highest resort in the Alps and coped with -25 temperatures with no modification needed other than a bucket under the waste tap to catch our grey waste!

I bet there is better deals to be had at the Lincoln show - we had a year living in Spalding and everything is cheaper in Lincs, esp. the houses! The neighbours were lovely too, just a shame about the lack of green open spaces.

I have 3 Chaussons in my shortlist already and they do seem to be making more of an impression on me than the rest, especially in terms of meeting what we want/need. The M-in-law would only be on rare occasions and knowing her, she'll decline a trip away more often than not so it wont be a deal-breaker for us, just a nice option.

We're probably more outdoorsy than loungers although the chance to "put your feet up" on dark evenings, watching a bit of TV does appeal... lots to think about!

David

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

davcom1

Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Torquay
Funster No
MH
Drop down bed, rear w/r
Exp
6 months
Thanks again guys for the knowledge sharing.

To be honest, we're unlikely to have the cold, hard cash for a few months but wanted to do some homework first so that we can make the best choice when the time comes.

Our last 'holiday' was a 3 day break in West Wales, November 2007 so I'm keen to get away but will balance that with making the right choice.

David

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back