pete c

Free Member
Aug 13, 2013
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
well we took the plunge at the weekend and bought our first motorhome a rather nice autotrail scout SE with less than 9000 miles on the clock,yummy:Smile:

she will need a few bits replacing, a window catch is buggered and the electric cover flap on the incoming mains power is too.

question is where are the spares available from,I've looked at autotrail on line and they don't appear to stock any great depth of spares. cant find much on tinternet either.

cant wait to pick it up in a couple of weeks time and get stuck in to the fixing,cleaning,learning and finally using it for a "shakedown cruise"

any help on the spares appreciated please. peter.c::bigsmile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Jobs a goodun !!

Electric cover flap available at most caravan shops about a fiver, as to the window catch, there are so many different types ! Johns Cross Motors can help out probably !...:thumb:

Reminded me that whilst I was at Jims, my lockable water cap stayed locked ! Just googled it....around £15 should cover it !!

Last edited:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hi & welcome aboard!

Are you buying the MH privately or from a dealer? :Smile:

OP
OP
P

pete c

Free Member
Aug 13, 2013
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
spares

its on a 55 plate and very little used so needs a good recommissioning and clean up before we set out.

The roof in particular is very dirty and in need of TLC. Is is OK to walk on the roof as it looks to be a 1 piece construction and there is an access ladder. I used to clean the caravan roof off every other year, a real pain in the bum trying to do it from the sides:Smile:

peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Auto-Trail have a dedicated spares department and are very efficient, they despatch parts on a daily basis direct to your home, subject to a delivery charge. Sargent Electrics do something similar as well. You will have to ring them direct. They will ask you for the Model and Build Number.

OP
OP
P

pete c

Free Member
Aug 13, 2013
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
spares

OK many thanks for the info guys, not sure exactly what type the window catch is but it lives in the sleeping area above the cab and has a broken arm apparently (didn't pay allot of attention to it as too busy drooling over the rest of it):Blush:

peter

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Walking on the roof?

its on a 55 plate and very little used so needs a good recommissioning and clean up before we set out.

The roof in particular is very dirty and in need of TLC. Is is OK to walk on the roof as it looks to be a 1 piece construction and there is an access ladder. I used to clean the caravan roof off every other year, a real pain in the bum trying to do it from the sides:Smile:

peter

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the Fun...... of all the expenditure you may or may not have with your new adventure-maker, the £10 subscription to MotorhomeFun would be the best value tenner you could spend.

Re roof walking..... my Scout had a huge roof-box fitted on the roof, between the overcab bulge and the central roof-light and the only way to get to it was to walk over the roof from the rear ladder, so I would say it is safe to walk up there. Me being a cowardy-custard however and old and out of shape (well, not in the shape I'd like to be in...... round is a shape isn't it?) I only went up there a couple of times, to investigate taking the roof-box off!!

Mine's an 06 Scout and had done only 16000 miles, which I thought was well low, so yours is even better.

Check your tyres mate.... at that mileage they're probably still the original ones with plenty of tread b ut having mostly stood round for possibly eight years the sidewalls are probably not their best and changing would be the safe bet.

Simon

OP
OP
P

pete c

Free Member
Aug 13, 2013
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
spares

thanks Simon, I will be subscribing this week. Tyres not too bad and last service/MOT did mention very slight cracks on 2 of them,I had a look and couldn't spot them but will do a thorough check when I've got the beast.

think I will venture onto the roof with a crawling pad to spread the weight a bit ( hope swimbo doesn't see that or she'll take the p**s)

I run a classic car and know about the deterioration of the tyres, even though the tread was like new I had to change two last year due to their age (14 years!) and the dreaded wall cracks:Sad:

peter

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
tyres on motorhomes are far worse than those on classic cars, its not the cracks you can see that are the true problem. its inside the casing with the layers separating. this is far worse because of the high load on them constantly and of course the constant 5 bar pressure. bad tyres on a motorhome is like sitting on 4 bombs that could go off at any time

its far cheaper to replace the tyres every 7 years regardless than to repair the damage caused by a blowout. its never cheap thats for certain:thumb:

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
We are an ex-scout owner, had two autotrails in fact, had no major problems with either. try looking online at Magnums in Grimsby, kenny is a very helpful guy and with it being in Gy he also gets alot of autotrail parts! :thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Just been reading all this helpful information on here, although I didn't post the original question it is all very relevant as we are heading down south to change the Elddis for an Autotrail Dakota on 28th.

We will stay overnight on a CL close to the dealer just in case there are any problems/questions...........and I'm sure there will be plenty::bigsmile:

Will be going over the van with a fine tooth comb to check that everything is working:winky: Many thanks for all the useful information.

Bill

OP
OP
P

pete c

Free Member
Aug 13, 2013
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
home at last

fetched the scout home last Saturday and had a good drive home with no issues encountered,I'm off work this week so spent the last few days checking and cleaning(taken 3 days to clean,polish and wax the exterior !) both batteries were very low and taken 3 days to recondition the first one,the second one was dry so may not recover. Swopped the damaged dining table top with the free standing one and repaired and covered the damaged one with fablon!! looks good for an £8 repair. Need some more bits soon and will need the build number?? so where do I find this please,oh yeh any thoughts on winter covers,ebay have them for around £160 are they any good?

regards. peter ::bigsmile:

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Build number

On my Scout the most obvious place to find the build number is on a plate (more like stuck on notice really) stuck to the side of the habitation door footwell... below that little door that gives access to the back of the fire.

My build number is 10305 for an '06 van, so your '55 plate van should be something similar I would guess.

Simon

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
dont forget the cam belt?

welcome to the club:thumb:

OP
OP
P

pete c

Free Member
Aug 13, 2013
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
sorted,receipt for cam belt and water pump in history file in August.

peter:Smile::Smile:

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
I would have thought that Don Amot at Eggington would be your nearest Autotrail dealer

OP
OP
P

pete c

Free Member
Aug 13, 2013
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
battery

oh bugger, the second battery is a duffer and only chucking out 10 DCV after 5 days on the conditioner,I have a spare 75amp hour car battery in good order so may have to use this temporarily. How much do new leisure batteries run at ?:cry:

peter

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I have a old Autotrail, they stock parts for mine that were fitted on my model years ago.
Those parts would never be listed on line.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Walking on the roof is ok as I checked with Auto-Trail about our Comanche. Just stick to the flat bits and DON'T walk on the overcab part as that is not load bearing. As the man said, they wouldn't fit a ladder if you couldn't go up there.

Check that the control panel is calibrated. You can do this yourself by downloading the info from www.sargentshop.co.uk ,you can e-mail them at support@sargentltd.co.uk or phone them on 01482 881655.

The build number on our Comanche is printed on a label stuck next to the PSU housing. It is a five digit number on ours ie 12345.

Hope this helps and good luck and enjoy yourselves. :thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
oh bugger, the second battery is a duffer and only chucking out 10 DCV after 5 days on the conditioner,I have a spare 75amp hour car battery in good order so may have to use this temporarily. How much do new leisure batteries run at ?:cry:

peter

put two on mine a month or ago 85amp hour @ £59 each 3 year warranty local caravan shop. Dont mess about just changing one do them both :thumb:

fiat ducato

Free Member
Apr 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
autotrail dakota
I'm looking for n/s centre door lock for my 2006 Fiat Ducato AUTO TRAIL BUILT

fiat ducato

Free Member
Apr 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
autotrail dakota
Its a Autotrail dakota i cant enter the camper door from the outside so if you know for a working Lock i can buy please ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The door and lock are made by Hartal. The outside handle on them regularly fails because an aluminium lug snaps off, but they can be repaired with a small bolt

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back