Highland Minimeet 30th August - 2nd September 2013 (1 Viewer)

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Starting new thread for minimeet as the Highland Gathering is now full.
We will be restricting numbers - to ensure that it is "mini" and already have 6 vans booked - so let me know if you want a place kept for you.
Usual information applies - free, but donations accepted for local mountain rescue team, barbeques, trips to Dores Inn & Loch Ness etc. It is a formula that seems to work, so we're sticking to it
all the best and safe travels
Margaret

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Highland Minimeet 2013. 30th August – 2nd September

Only six weeks to go! Please could you confirm if you are still coming and when you expect to arrive. Please let me know if I have missed you out!

Booked
Magbrin
Littlebt
Steveboy
loulou
nightman
2cv
Bodgerndog
Guernsey Donkey
Passing places
susie
cowanhouse
squibby
Lindavid
mygrassisblue
rayb182
maacracing

Provisional bookings
roamingman
Tonybvi
Metblue
red ted
normanandsue
dingray
The wizend of OZ

The meet is free and will follow the tried and tested pattern, but remember it is an informal meet and you can join in as much or as little as you like. More details will follow later but in the mean time – for those who have not been before there will be BBQs, a trip to Dores Inn on Loch Ness, and plenty of time to relax, enjoy the sunshine, and meet old and new friends. We will accept donations for the Caringorm Mountain Rescue team, and at the Highland Gathering earlier in the year we raised over £200 – lets see if we can beat that.
Some requests:
We will need drivers for the minibus if you want to go to Dores. Please let me know asap if you would be happy to drive.
We will need some shelter – if you have safari room, pagoda or any other form of shelter (even just a windbreak!) you would be happy to share, please let me know.
We will need some food to cook on the BBQ, as well as some rolls, salad etc. Also charcoal, firelighters, kitchen paper, tools etc.
Just as an afterthought is anyone in Spain, or going before they come here? If so, would you be able to do me a small favour. I can assure you it is legal and just involves buying me a couple bars of soap and finding a small space to bring them back!
Look forward to seeing you all at the end of August
All the best and safe travels
Margaret​

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Margaret
Never haven been to any meets so far can you tell me if there is EHU or NOT ?? as we have never been anywhere that there is NO EHU.

Not sure if I'm working that weekend or not but is there still spaces available

thanks

Ron

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Margaret
Never haven been to any meets so far can you tell me if there is EHU or NOT ?? as we have never been anywhere that there is NO EHU.

Not sure if I'm working that weekend or not but is there still spaces available

thanks

Ron

No EHU on the field, but we may have space with EHU on CS. We only have 2 hook-ups and I know one is already booked. I will confirm if you are able to come, but you would have to pay the CS price, I'm afraid.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Margaret and Angus,
Yet again we will be unable to get to the mini-meet, Gel has an appointment at Papworth Hospital, sorry for any inconvenience this has caused, we was looking forward to this meet, :cry::cry:

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Typical, we're in Inverness tomorrow for a few days and on the date of the mini meet, we are three days into our Euro juant :Angry:

Maybe next year then. :thumb:

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Margaret and Angus,
Yet again we will be unable to get to the mini-meet, Gel has an appointment at Papworth Hospital, sorry for any inconvenience this has caused, we was looking forward to this meet, :cry::cry:

Not a problem, but sorry you won't be here. See you again soon and hope all is well following hospital visit.

Typical, we're in Inverness tomorrow for a few days and on the date of the mini meet, we are three days into our Euro juant :Angry:

Maybe next year then. :thumb:

You are welcome to call in, here, anytime. You will no doubt be passing on your way to euroland - why not stop off on your way? You could come this weekend (free stopover for 1 night or CS) although we may not be about - weather is too good to stay at home and we will be confined to barracks from early August as we will be on duty when our new grandbaby arrives:whatthe:

maacracing

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
dundee
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
mini meet

Hi Margret and Angus,

Anthea and myself will be there along with the boys, looking forward to it.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sorry but I cant see the location of the meet? All I can see its in the highlands. We may be interested for our first meet if you have room?

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Margret and Angus,

Anthea and myself will be there along with the boys, looking forward to it.

Good::bigsmile: I hope Bruce will be with you:Smile: Looking forward to seeing you again.

Sorry but I cant see the location of the meet? All I can see its in the highlands. We may be interested for our first meet if you have room?
Yes, there is room:Smile: We are South West of Inverness - see Broken Link Removed for more information of who and where we are.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
This may sound a silly question Margaret but

How bad are the Midges at that time of year
as I can be very susceptible to midge bites ?:Smile:

Roger & Sheila.

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
This may sound a silly question Margaret but

How bad are the Midges at that time of year
as I can be very susceptible to midge bites ?:Smile:

Roger & Sheila.

Generally there are still midges about at the end of August/early September - but it all depends on the weather conditions. Midges live in damp areas, mainly on the west and don't like strong sun, wind or cold. We are nearer the east coast, and nearly always have a breeze/wind so on the whole we don't get a lot of midges.
Obviously I cannot guarantee a midge free minimeet, but I can assure you that if there are midges here they will be even worse on the west:winky:

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Bump!

Still await some confirmations - please see message 2 on previous page.
Lunch at Dores Inn booked for Saturday (31st) - let me know if you want to book meal/space on minibus. Thanks
All the best and see you soon
Margaret

Dingray

Free Member
Dec 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
CB
Exp
Since 2000
Highland meet

Sorry about the late confirmation, will arrive Friday if space still available,
Ray

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
You''re booked in Ray - can we persuade you to join us at Dores this time??
Margaret

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
More information ............

Most participants have been here before, but as a reminder and for those who have not this is an outline of what will be happening, and what you can do/bring to help. Remember that you can join in as much or as little as you like. It is free but we do ask for donations for the Cairngorm Mountain Rescue team.
Lunch has been booked for Dores Inn on Saturday 31st. There are a few spaces left on the bus, but (as they say) book soon to avoid disappointment. There will be a small charge to cover the cost of the community minibus.
We will be having BBQs, weather permitting, and the Schoolroom Café and shop will be open for a few hours each day. For the BBQs – hopefully there will be 2 – bring enough food for yourselves and be prepared to share it. If everyone does the same we will have a good selection of interesting food. It would also be helpful if you could bring a contribution towards charcoal, Rolls, sauces salads, and bin bags, kitchen paper, tongs etc. Also remember any drink you may require.
Shelter – over a period of time we have borrowed various wind breaks, awnings, safari rooms, pagodas etc. but at the moment we have nothing to protect us against wind or rain. If you have some form of shelter you are prepared to share, could you please let me know.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,
Thanks for your e mail I think I have replied but can find no confirmation of my e mail being sent. Please would you confirm us both coming and reserve us a place for the meal at the Dores Inn.

Norman

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Hi,
Thanks for your e mail I think I have replied but can find no confirmation of my e mail being sent. Please would you confirm us both coming and reserve us a place for the meal at the Dores Inn.

Norman

Thanks for this and your PMs - all arrived safely. Sorry not to get back to you last night. You are booked in, and places reserved for you on the bus and at Dores for lunch on Saturday. Thanks also for the offer of driving but it will not be taken up as for once I have had more offers than I need.

Still some places available if there is anyone else out there, in the Inverness area at the end of next week

See you all soon and safe travels
Margaret

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi, Just been chatting to mum and she would like to come to the minimeet. This will be our first and probably the furthest travels for us so far. Please can you add us if there's still room. We don't have any proper shelter but we can bring a pop up gazebo if that helps.

Sandra

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks for your PMs, "wizened" (sorry you can't make it:cry:) and JohnM (I will PM this evening with more details, but we can certainly fit you in.)

Hi, Just been chatting to mum and she would like to come to the minimeet. This will be our first and probably the furthest travels for us so far. Please can you add us if there's still room. We don't have any proper shelter but we can bring a pop up gazebo if that helps.

Sandra

We would be delighted to see you and your pop up gazebo will be a great help. Is it just 2 of you?

Margaret

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi, Glad to hear we can come. I'm not sure yet if there's 2 or 3 of us coming. I will ask mum to check with her friend and get back to you.

I have a BC dog that will be coming too.

If any of the funsters that go to Europe please try and tell my mum how much fun you had as although we don't have a large motorhome I would still love to go to Europe next year so am gently trying to persuade her ::bigsmile:

I set her up with a funster ID so she's a lurker here sometimes.

Looking forward to the meet.

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks again for your PM, JohnM. Perhaps you could let me know your arrival time, nearer the time.

Hi, Glad to hear we can come. I'm not sure yet if there's 2 or 3 of us coming. I will ask mum to check with her friend and get back to you.

I have a BC dog that will be coming too.

If any of the funsters that go to Europe please try and tell my mum how much fun you had as although we don't have a large motorhome I would still love to go to Europe next year so am gently trying to persuade her ::bigsmile:

I set her up with a funster ID so she's a lurker here sometimes.

Looking forward to the meet.

It does not matter too much if there are two or three of you, unless you want to go on the bus to Dores Inn.

Dogs are very welcome, but forgive me, what is a "BC" dog? Perhaps a male Border Collie?

You don't need a large motorhome to travel in Europe. We spent 6 weeks last year in a converted Renault Master van, had been before and are off again in mid-September. It IS great fun, and you can do and see and go almost anywhere you like - particularly in a smaller van. I am sure you will get lots of tips at the Minimeet:thumb:

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Yes I have a border collie. I can now confirm there will be just mum, the dog and I attending.

We will probably start heading north on the Thursday night and wildcamp somewhere on the route. Still a novelty to us newbies:Smile:

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Yes I have a border collie. I can now confirm there will be just mum, the dog and I attending.

We will probably start heading north on the Thursday night and wildcamp somewhere on the route. Still a novelty to us newbies:Smile:

Thanks for letting me know.
If you want to arrive on Thursday that is fine, or if you want some suggestions for wild spots on the way up, I can let you know some possibilities by PM.

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Final (?) details/information

:thumb:We are really looking forward to the minimeet next weekend. We have 16 vans booked and a massive 10 have been before - we must be doing something right:thumb: It's a chill out weekend and you can do as much or as little as you like, and if you haven't already booked and would like to come - let me know as we do still have a few spaces left.

If anyone is in the area/wants to arrive early the field will be ready on Thursday, so, as long as you let me know, you are welcome to arrive the day before - Let the party begin ...............

Remember to bring lots of BBQ food (for 2 nights), and other requirements - charcoal, bin bags, tools, etc. and for those of you arriving later on Friday we will keep the BBQ hot for you as long as we can (9ish) - so remember your burgers!

We have now booked a (smaller) table for Dores Inn on Sunday as we are fully subscribed for Saturday. If you have booked for Saturday and are able to/would prefer to go on Sunday, please let me know, as this will mean less of a squash in our car on Saturday (currently 5 adults).

If there is demand we will be doing another "progressive" meal option on Sunday evening followed, weather permitting, by a bonfire. We have learnt some lessons from our first attempt at it ............. so whatever you have left in your cupboards should help to produce some interesting dishes.
Please remember your donations to the Cairngorm Rescue team. At the Gathering this year we raised over £200. can we beat it this time?

Looking forward to seeing you all
Margaret

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
Hi Mags

I may be bringing a friend to the minimeet. I think I am booked for Dores on Sat. Can you swop me to Sun & make the booking for 2 please.
thanks & see u there.
Steve & Sadie the Rapido!

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Noted!

I may be bringing a friend to the minimeet. I think I am booked for Dores on Sat. Can you swop me to Sun & make the booking for 2 please.
thanks & see u there.
Steve & Sadie the Rapido!

Hi, Steve, that's fine. I had actually asked if you would mind driving the minibus on Sunday (but you have confused me, as that was somewhere else:Doh:), so that would fit in well. If you can, and if you have the opportunity perhaps you could email/PM both bits of your driving licence. If not, we can scan/send it to the organiser when you arrive - assuming you will be here before the end of the working day on Friday.
Looking forward to seeing you
Margaret

PS Count to date: 17 vans & 36 peep :thumb:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Our first meet

This was our first ever meet so a big THANK YOU to Margaret and Angus for having us.

Having only had the MH 7 weeks or so we really didn't know what to expect at a meet, but we figured if it was anything like the friendly helpful people on the forums it might be fun to attend.

We loved it! BBQs , campfire, music, and some tongue and cheek from me got mum and I ( and a few others) in to see the FANCY MHs. Sorry if I seemed pushy but hey if you don't ask you don't get and it sure gave us a good insight to what luxury is. Thanks to you all...you know who you are!

Any other newbies, I would definitely recommend you go to a meet. Lots to learn! THANKS TO ALL

PS :thumb:You all done wonders, on the way home mum said after listening to you lot she will go overseas to France. A kind of compromise as she will fly back when she's had enough.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
This was our first ever meet so a big THANK YOU to Margaret and Angus for having us.

Having only had the MH 7 weeks or so we really didn't know what to expect at a meet, but we figured if it was anything like the friendly helpful people on the forums it might be fun to attend.

We loved it! BBQs , campfire, music, and some tongue and cheek from me got mum and I ( and a few others) in to see the FANCY MHs. Sorry if I seemed pushy but hey if you don't ask you don't get and it sure gave us a good insight to what luxury is. Thanks to you all...you know who you are!

Any other newbies, I would definitely recommend you go to a meet. Lots to learn! THANKS TO ALL

PS :thumb:You all done wonders, on the way home mum said after listening to you lot she will go overseas to France. A kind of compromise as she will fly back when she's had enough.

We enjoyed the meet too and had a great time. As you didn't visit my motorhome I must conclude it is not posh :ROFLMAO: but then I never thought I had a posh motorhome.
Hope to run into you both again sometime - maybe when you get ba ck from France :winky:

Norman

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
photos

Wasn't sure where to put the photos I took so they are now in my album if anyone wants a wee look.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back