Quick release battery clamps (1 Viewer)

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I thought I would fit a pair of quick release battery clamps to my van to save the battery draining between trips, I keep in a secure compound about 12 miles from my house. I fitted the negative one without any problems, then remove the battery to get at the positive only to find that there appears to be two cables as well as another small lead connected to it. The smaller lead I believe might be the alarms positive cable, which I could connect to the quick release clamp with a screw, the problem I have is how do I connect the two positive cables ( one of which could be the leisure batteries live cable) to the quick release clam, as I'm not sure they will fit in the clamp bracket. Any suggestions ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
maybe need to change them for the type in the link...ignore the fact it states Mercedes, they are the same for many cars.

longer bolts could be used, if neccessary, to make the gap large enough for dual cables.

alternatively just fit the one that does fit to the neg terminal....you dont have to isolate both pos and neg as once the circuit is broken by one terminal the battery is no longer connected

Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
davidbaldam
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Thanks for that pappajohn, didn't think about only using one quick release clamp, thought you had to disconnect both, thanks again.

David :thumb: :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I thought I would fit a pair of quick release battery clamps to my van to save the battery draining between trips, I keep in a secure compound about 12 miles from my house. I fitted the negative one without any problems, then remove the battery to get at the positive only to find that there appears to be two cables as well as another small lead connected to it. The smaller lead I believe might be the alarms positive cable, which I could connect to the quick release clamp with a screw, the problem I have is how do I connect the two positive cables ( one of which could be the leisure batteries live cable) to the quick release clam, as I'm not sure they will fit in the clamp bracket. Any suggestions ?

Most quick releases are for the negative terminal only. The positive terminal is actually slightly bigger and normally it won't even fit.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Why 2 clips ? One will disconnect the battery.

Does your secure compound get sunlight ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
davidbaldam
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi Brian
Yes plenty of light, tried a small solar panel the type you stick on your windscreen, which I thought would do the trick but last winter my battery when flat. As I've fitted one clamp to the negative then I will go down that route. Can't afford a roof solar panel yet. David :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back