LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thinking about making a backbox and fitting onto the back of the van (where else::bigsmile:) problem is I have both water filling and fridge vents on the back:Sad:
Idea is to make a couple of ali brackets out of 3mm angle iron that can fold down and sit the box onto them leaving around a 4 or 5 ins gap for the fridge vents and fit above the water filling inlet.This should then allow another fixing to be made around 3/4s way up the box/brackets :thumb:
Any thoughts on the idea and if 4 to 5 ins will be wide enough for the vents or even if I could get away with 3 ins gap from the vents ?
Box size at the moment is 10 ins wide by 39 ins long and 30 ins deep ish (250mm x 1 mtr x750mm ish:winky:) it may also grow to 1.5 mtrs long
Terry

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Can you not get one on top?

May need to think about departue angles/parking/recovery length of vehicle. From your avatar, it looks like yuou have roof bars, so a large roof box should do the job fine.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
your likely going to need to fit a fan to draw air over the fridge and duct the hot air and any gasses from the flue when on gas up and out behind the box

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can you not get one on top?

May need to think about departue angles/parking/recovery length of vehicle. From your avatar, it looks like yuou have roof bars, so a large roof box should do the job fine.

Ooooh !!! a massive airbrake on the roof.

its even advised to remove roof racks, not just box's, from vehicles when not in use to reduce drag and improve fuel economy...no reason why that shouldnt apply to a motorhome as well.
in addition, if you place heavy-ish objects in the roof box the vans handling can be affected due to a higher centre of gravity.

as a rule of thumb...heavy weight low..light weight high

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Already got the top one, wanting to remove it as it costs around 4mpg:Eeek: hence the BB idea:winky: and the not so sure on length. At the moment only carry a couple of chairs, spare wheel, jack and tub of dogfood up there.If I go for shorter length no room for spare wheel, but it will look neater, if I go wider it will have to fit to one side of the ladder or further away from rear of van partially over the ladder
See link below to see pics of van rear:thumb:
I am on tab so cannot post pics as they are on main comp :winky:
Terry

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Terry, this is something we saw in Germany, thought it was a good idea. :thumb:

Its hinged on one side, and a jockey wheel on the other. ::bigsmile:

Bit of RSJ and a welder and away you go. :ROFLMAO: Bob.

Attachments

• Bobs Germany 2010 018.jpg
    Bobs Germany 2010 018.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Bobs Germany 2010 019.jpg
    Bobs Germany 2010 019.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 118
OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Heres a pic of rear :thumb: smaller box could be centred larger would need to be off centre or be forward ie 5 ins to get centred but blocking ladder --alternative would be to remove rack and ladder :Eeek:::bigsmile:
terry

Attachments

• P1000390.jpg
    P1000390.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 108
OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
your likely going to need to fit a fan to draw air over the fridge and duct the hot air and any gasses from the flue when on gas up and out behind the box

If I have my thoughts and info right 3 ins should give ample for gasses to vent :thumb:but also if I centralise box that means it has to sit 5 ins away to clear the ladder :Smile:Hope you can visulise what I mean :winky:-l bottom of box would be above water filler and top would be below window -but this in turn would funnel the gas flue close to the rear window :Eeek:
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
small trailer....

best of both worlds with heavier/larger load carried and.no van payload used ... except the hitch download weight. :thumb:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
small trailer....

best of both worlds with heavier/larger load carried and.no van payload used ... except the hitch download weight. :thumb:

No good John -no towbar ::bigsmile: plus I have almost 3/4 ton spare payload when full inc full fuel and water tanks :winky:
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Heres a pic of rear :thumb: smaller box could be centred larger would need to be off centre or be forward ie 5 ins to get centred but blocking ladder --alternative would be to remove rack and ladder :Eeek:::bigsmile:
terry

This isn't looking one of your best ideas.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
This what you after Terry?

Doesn't solve your ventilation problems but made a nice job for me. Built by a guy near Skeggy' on our return earlier this year.

We towed a trailer for 3 years on winter trips but a small trailer is a pain to reverse or to remove if in a tight situation so have now gone down your route and I am very pleased with the finished job.

Attachments

• GEDC0003.JPG
    GEDC0003.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 59

GlobeStar

Free Member
Jul 23, 2012
Woodhall Spa
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2004
Why not make a tall cupboard type box and hang off the ladder if it has the weight to do so. It is designed to carry the weight of a man at the end of the day. Be out of the way of the fridge altogether then.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Terry. I have a full width alloy back box that I had made with the German runners attached. You will have to fabricate the sleeves that they run into, but that should be no problem. This system is designed to slide in and out, allowing different settings. Its lockable and all alloy construction. You can have it at scrap value weight even though it cost me ÂŁ700 to have built.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mel thanks for the offer but I have everything in garage to build one for nowt or maybe 1 sheet of ply depending on size I go for :thumb:
terry

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Ooooh !!! a massive airbrake on the roof.

its even advised to remove roof racks, not just box's, from vehicles when not in use to reduce drag and improve fuel economy...no reason why that shouldnt apply to a motorhome as well.
in addition, if you place heavy-ish objects in the roof box the vans handling can be affected due to a higher centre of gravity.

as a rule of thumb...heavy weight low..light weight high

They aren't too bad, as most of the air has come over the overcab anyway, and the box at the rear being lower and aero style anyway, most just carries over. Ideal for putting tables/chairs, barbeque and windbreak in which are bulky, but not heavy items.

I don't like the square ones you often see, though!

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
A pal of ours took his back box off, he was followed by an other friend who told him the back of the MH was flexing, his is a one piece back where your already has weaker points due to the fridge vents etc, you might be better off having a tow bar mounted box. Pete

Ps pals box wasn't overloaded.

Pete

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
A pal of ours took his back box off, he was followed by an other friend who told him the back of the MH was flexing, his is a one piece back where your already has weaker points due to the fridge vents etc, you might be better off having a tow bar mounted box. Pete

Ps pals box wasn't overloaded.

Pete
You are forgetting it's a self build with 6x2and 4x2 timber frame made for the hole the doors left,this was then covered with 1.5 mm ali sheeting instead of the 0.5 mm ali that most vans are covered with.This also gives me a pretty unique 6 ins wide window sill at the rear for the boss to stick handwash and bananas on ::bigsmile:(don't even go there):winky:
terry

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Update the roof box is no more :thumb:it's off and at the tip as I type :Smile:(that will teach Anns cusin to stop and see what I am doing --got him to take the box to the dump it in his hatchback car as they will not let me on with pick up)After about five yrs up there the top has gone brittal so it smashed when I threw it off the top ::bigsmile:Holes in roof filled and patched over so no chance of leaks :thumb:Spare wheel monted onto ladder and comy chairs into HOUSE garage with 2 fold away bag type chairs into the external locker.All I have to do now is put the pice of the roof rack (that I cut out to fir box onto roof)back in place.:Smile:
This I will leave until we return just in case SWMBO decides we either need another roof box :Doh: or a back box which will house both comfy chairs and spare wheel or just CChairs and spare wheel may find a new home strapped to the roof rack :Smile:
Another thought I have had after seeing the pics etc that people kindly posted is to fit the back box onto the rear bumper(lower down)feed the lights/number plate through the BB and attaching them to the BB, and think about extending the water filler point :Doh:
Will see how we get on if we take a 6 ish yr backward step to how things were or ?:Eeek:
terry

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Back to the drawing board ::bigsmile: just been out to give it a coat of looking at and the water boiler vents there as well so it's back to being higher :winky: Will mull it over until the weekend ::bigsmile:
Terry

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Peter,
Try a simple chassis extention, with a base plate added, mount the box on this. Slung a extra light board on this, fitted below. Had this added to the van 10yrs ago, works a treat. Best Regards Mac

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thinking about making a backbox and fitting onto the back of the van (where else::bigsmile:) problem is I have both water filling and fridge vents on the back:Sad:
Idea is to make a couple of ali brackets out of 3mm angle iron that can fold down and sit the box onto them leaving around a 4 or 5 ins gap for the fridge vents and fit above the water filling inlet.This should then allow another fixing to be made around 3/4s way up the box/brackets :thumb:
Any thoughts on the idea and if 4 to 5 ins will be wide enough for the vents or even if I could get away with 3 ins gap from the vents ?
Box size at the moment is 10 ins wide by 39 ins long and 30 ins deep ish (250mm x 1 mtr x750mm ish:winky:) it may also grow to 1.5 mtrs long
Terry

This is what we use..http://www.towbox.eu/. might be too elaborated for your needs but might help with ideals:Cool:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Peter,
Try a simple chassis extention, with a base plate added, mount the box on this. Slung a extra light board on this, fitted below. Had this added to the van 10yrs ago, works a treat. Best Regards Mac
this would require it coming through the rear bumper :Eeek:

This is what we use..http://www.towbox.eu/. might be too elaborated for your needs but might help with ideals:Cool:
:Smile:

Thanks all/both for your imput but both are way over the top for what is only required to carry 2 fold down chairs and possibly the spare wheel --the more I look and think about it I keep comming back to the original size (about 1 mtr x 750 )and chucking the spare wheel on the roof,fastening it to the roof rack.After all I have carried it aound for about 6 yrs and never needed it (touch wood)You can bet as soon as I leave it i'll need it ::bigsmile:
Yes I could easy fit the chairs into the bathroom while traveling or even in the space by the side door :thumb: but this means that every time we move (quite a lot prob 2 or 3 times a day) it would become a pain to stow chairs away.
terry

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If fitting a box over the vents, there is nothing wrong with adding a false bottom, to allow vent extensions underneath, meaning your vents would exit through the box. So long as it is deep enough.

Another option could be to mount the wheel on a swing -away wheel mount, so covering the ladder when travelling - also doubles as roof-top security! You could then put a rear beenie box at the back to put chairs etc in, as it would utilise the space where your spare would have been if you see what I mean!

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
This is what I have gone back to :thumb: and the more I look I keep trying to convince myself a offset box may well look OK/good :Smile:
edit looking again I could use the window to centralise the box alignment
terry

Attachments

• P1000386-001.jpg
    P1000386-001.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Another idea - You roof bars are quite high. So a shallow box that sat inside here, attached to the rail through the sides would be enough for chairs/windbreak and a spoiler at the front of the rail would allow the air to flow over and reduce any prospective drag.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back