What 'beam convertor' for Fiat Ducato? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Can anyone recommend any beam convertors for the current model Fiat Ducato please?

Ta :Smile:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I just use some black insulating tape on the headlamp protector. Seems to work okay.

Rgds
Bill

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you shouldnt need any beam deflectors.....the headlamps should be none biased.
ie: straight up and down with no left or right bias.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Look on Ebay for headlight protectors and they probably come with stick on beam deflectors .

I just use the protectors when abroad .

Do not stick anything directly on to your headlights as they will be damaged .

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User

Really? Perhaps I ought to read the manual. I thought the headlamps were set up for driving on the left.:whatthe:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
i could be wrong, but im 99.99% certain im not.

Is this the 0.01 occasion?

From 'Halford's'

Q1: Why do I need to adapt my Headlights when driving in Europe?

A: Adapting headlights is a legal requirement, as ALL Vehicle headlights will cause dazzle when driven on the on the opposite side of the road to that which they where designed for. All European countries subscribe to a law that states: ‘Your vehicle’s headlights MUST be adjusted so as not to cause dazzle to other road users’. Failure to comply means you are liable to be fined if you are stopped and you also risk ‘invalidating’ your insurance - as your car is deemed ‘unroadworthy’ in the eyes of the law.

:whatthe:

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
iv just had my van m.o.t tested, passed with flying colours ,still had the beam deflectors on from our last france trip! no one seemed to notice just as they don't seem to in france. :RollEyes:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't bother with them.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i stand corrected...but still unconvinced. :RollEyes:

regardless...dont stick anything directly to the lens...you will probably cause damage removing it when back in the UK...and remove them you must.
for the mot at least.

as mentioned, use protectors with the benders stuck on.:

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
My LHD Ducato failed its first MOT a little while ago due to the lights pointing the wrong way!!!! He put black tape on them, charged me £20 and then passed it.:Eeek:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Buy the sticky ones in bulk (ie 10x) from e-Bay - don't whatever you do pay £7 a pair at a ferry port.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We will need them on for 3 to 4 months at a time.........

Surely there must be DOZENS of funsters out there with Ducato based MH's................someone must be using something a little more permanent :Eeek:

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I have an Aviano AClass on a fiat and am told that i can adjust without need for deflectors via some internal screws etc. Am also told that one of them will be a right b*gger to get to. Not looking forward to doing it!

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
I just placed black tape over the section required, cut to shape with stanley knife once tape on the lamps, of course only on Glass Len`s.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have an Aviano AClass on a fiat and am told that i can adjust without need for deflectors via some internal screws etc. Am also told that one of them will be a right b*gger to get to. Not looking forward to doing it!

We had the same van.

I really, really wouldn't bother messing about with the head lights.

French cops ( in my experience) are interested in bigger things than deflectors.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We had the same van.

I really, really wouldn't bother messing about with the head lights.

French cops ( in my experience) are interested in bigger things than deflectors.

Totally agree with Chris......

Even when I lived in France for 10 years, I had a UK RHD car and motorbike over there with me. Never fitted deflectors. Had lots of random Police/Gendarmerie stops over the years, document checks etc for sure, but they never once looked or commented on my lights.

We are now in Spain at the moment, out 8th country so far this trip.
Ok, we have not done a lot of night driving, but really I don't think it's a big issue.

I have the new Pug Boxer, so exactly same lights as the Ducato.
If you are worried, you can always lower the beam with the electronic 3 step leveller on the dash....

p.s. I forgot my fluorescent waistcoats and alco kits, actually I never had any alco kits, they are not required...:RollEyes::RollEyes:

But I do have full spare bulbs and fuses:thumb:, shame though I still can find why my nearside side lights are not working.....:cry:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
My X250 has just passed its MOT with deflectors on. I never take them off. If your sensitive about dazzling our European friends, icantremember has the best idea. Get some headlight protectors and stick deflectors on them.:Doh:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Here's some pics and instructions for fitting X250 beam deflectors:

http://www.deepredmotorhome.com/headlampdeflectors.php

Should provide all the info you need. :thumb:

Mike

More details from the same website:-

Headlamp deflectors/protectors. When driving on the right it is necessary to deflect the headlamp beams. In the old days one could stick bits of black tape onto glass headlamps, but these days the plastic headlamp 'glass' doesn't take kindly to this simple solution, so we are told. These moulded plastic protectors with self-adhesive black masks can be obtained and fitted over the headlamp. One can remove the black shapes afterwards and keep the 'protectors' in place.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Just like Vlad !!!

I don't drive at night, the views are crap...:ROFLMAO:....plus, have you ever seen a foreign vehicle over here with them fitted !:Doh::Doh::Doh:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
But seriously, even if 'not' driving at night the law still requires beam conversion does it not?

(still surprised that there has not been a flood of replies.............I thought loads of you lot go abroad in your MH's :Doh:)

C'mon, what do the majority of you do? :whatthe:

Please? (said nicely I promise you :Blush:)

::bigsmile:

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998

Just imported my Rapido on a X250 chassis and had change the headlamps before going for the VOSA test

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I don't drive at night, the views are crap...:ROFLMAO:....plus, have you ever seen a foreign vehicle over here with them fitted !:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Depends if you've got 2 weeks or 2 months holiday time wether there's a need to drive at night. Given a choice I wouldn't. I understand European vehicle headlights don't dip to the right, so, no need for converters! (Looks like that's wrong-see previous)
And here's proof:
Link Removed

Last edited:

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
I wonder.....

My Mercedes Sprinter based MH came with headlamp beam converters already stuck onto the headlamps...... and with a shiny new M.O.T. certificate from the selling dealer.

I've not removed them whilst I've been using the MH in the UK, and am now on a long trip in France and Spain where no-one official has appeared to have the slightest interest in them.

Should I be taking the things off when in the UK? Should it have passed an M.O.T. with them on?

Simon

Apr 19, 2017
Newark
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coach built
Exp
Since 1993
Just as a point of interest for anyone still having trouble with issue, and to put minds at rest. A friend of mine has just taken his Saab 93 Aero cabriolet to Spain, he is going to leave it there so is required to reregister. Apart from the ludicrously high quotes for acquiring a ITV ( Spanish MOT) we discovered that on his vehicle, there is a switch behind the headlights that flattens the beam for Europe. But from 2003 onwards the kick up is already flattened on U.K. Vehicles, so if you lower your beam adjustment no problem. We have travelled in France, Spain, Italy Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany travelling some 16000 miles without a problem, and when checked against a wall compaired to an older vehicle the difference although subtle is obvious. It's the kick up on U.K. lights that cause the dazzling and that's why when fitted with black tape or beam benders it's removed, just do the wall test to see/check. Oh and quotes for a Spanish ITV were between €1500 and €2000!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back