Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I am looking to pick some brains,::bigsmile: we are going down to collect a new (to us), Autotrail Dakota quite soon. The gas locker is designed to take 2 x 13 Kgs bottles of gas, at the moment I have 2 x 6 Kg bottles in the Elddis.

There are no bottles of gas in the Dakota at present and I have been told by the dealer that I can swop over my 2 x 6 Kgs bottles and put them in to the locker.

So my question is and apologies in advance if this seems like a daft one :RollEyes:
can I put 2 x 6 Kgs bottles into the Autotrail locker? Will the connections "reach" to the shorter height bottles (6 Kg) or will I need to stick with the larger 13 Kg bottles? It's nearly a month since we saw the Autotrail and can't remember what the inside of the gas locker is like now:Doh:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Take your 6kg bottles they should fit, someone may swop you for 13kg bottles you just gotta ask:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
calor gas centres will swap 6kg cylinders for 13kg ones you just pay for the extra gas. alternatively think about fitting a gaslow or similar refillable system. it saves money and hassle as you never have to carry heavy cylinders and mess with spanners again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
calor gas centres will swap 6kg cylinders for 13kg ones you just pay for the extra gas. alternatively think about fitting a gaslow or similar refillable system. it saves money and hassle as you never have to carry heavy cylinders and mess with spanners again

In addition, you cant readily get Calor gas bottles in Spain or France.

We've got a Dakota with GasLow & its brilliant. Yes, pricey, but worth it as we travel in Europe a lot. 2 x large bottles last us 8 or 9 months on campsites. Wild Camping will use more of course.

Last edited:

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
I am looking to pick some brains,::bigsmile: we are going down to collect a new (to us), Autotrail Dakota quite soon. The gas locker is designed to take 2 x 13 Kgs bottles of gas, at the moment I have 2 x 6 Kg bottles in the Elddis.

There are no bottles of gas in the Dakota at present and I have been told by the dealer that I can swop over my 2 x 6 Kgs bottles and put them in to the locker.

So my question is and apologies in advance if this seems like a daft one :RollEyes:
can I put 2 x 6 Kgs bottles into the Autotrail locker? Will the connections "reach" to the shorter height bottles (6 Kg) or will I need to stick with the larger 13 Kg bottles? It's nearly a month since we saw the Autotrail and can't remember what the inside of the gas locker is like now:Doh:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill
Gaslow in my opinion, 1, 13kg gaslow is better than 2, 6kg calor when abroad,you could allways add a 2nd bottle later.

Allegro83

Free Member
Jul 20, 2010
Balfron, Stirling
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer L
Exp
15 years

Taken from Calor Site

» Group A and Group B
If you wish to exchange a cylinder from another group, you must take out an additional cylinder refill agreement at a cost of ÂŁ34.25

I'm hoping our local Calor dealer doesn't abide by Calor own rules (they haven't in the past) when we get our new Campervan as we will need 3.9kg and have 6kg at present!! It's only for cooking so refillable not financially viable.

MHVirgins - I'm sure you'll have no problem with your 6kg when you exchange. In our last Mhome we found it quite difficult to get 2x13kg in the locker, possible but very difficult so we tended to have a 13kg and a 6kg when we travelled in the winter.

Edit.
Sorry it doesn't show the full picture I copied from the Calor site. One group is 6kg Butane, Propane and Lite. The other group has all other sizes.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We had the same experience when we bought our Burstner and used a 6Kg Calor cylinder for a couple of days before getting Alugas 11Kg fitted.
We now have two 11Kg Alugas cylinders (22Kg of gas, total weight 36 Kg) against two 6Kg Calor bottles in our previous van (12Kg of gas, total weight 30Kg).
I definitely recommend Alugas.

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Many thanks for all your helpful replies. When we enquired about Gaslow, the dealer gave us the impression that it would be more beneficial for extensive European travel rather than within the UK. At the moment we'll probably stick with the 13 Kgs bottles, although we will look into the Alugas bottles when we change the 6 Kgs bottles to 13Kgs when we go south for the new van later this month.

Many thanks again for all your advice:thumb:

Bill

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
we carry 1 X13k and one of the newer calor lite bottles Im not sure if its hold 6 or 7k but its the same higt bottle as a 6, the tails fit ok on mine.

The 13k one gives us a fairly good cost ratio, and the lite bottle is easy to get in and out to power an external cooking range when the bbq is pluged into the external gas port.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I use 1 Alugas bottle and carry either a French or Spanish bottle as backup depending on which country I am going to be in the longest :thumb:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I have an Autotrail Comanche and it is supposed to be able to hold two 13kg bottles in the locker. It will, but the locker won't close properly. I know that I am not alone in this and that it is a design problem that Autotrail seem to be in denial about. They come up with all kinds of "remedies" that actually don't work. Some people even have 1x6kg and 1x13kg bottle as they can't get both of the bigger ones in. See my posting "Autotrail woes". It is a long thread.

I have now gone for 2x11kg refillable bottles which fit in very nicely.

Just thought that I would mention it so that you are aware of a potential problem. :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Its not just size to think of. If I remember correctly (I have a fixed underslung gas tank) the 6kg are screw on regulators and the 13kgs are clip on regulators so changing the tails is no great problem as the regulator would need to be changed as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back