Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
question for those in the know (coz I ain't got a clue)

what is better about an ipad?

Cheers
2dogs

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
those that have iPads swear by them claiming them to be a superior product

personally I prefer an android based tablet as you have far more control over what you can use it for and far cheaper.

like the name and buy into the marketing hype, its got to be an ipad, for everyone else theres a vast choice of tablets at excellent prices with android on

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Thanks, put another way, does an ipad do more for the money or
would a cheaper tablet do the same?

Cheers

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
It really depends what you want one for, I have an iPad, which is great but it does not do everything a computer does. It's good for surfing the net, playing games etc but if you want to do word processing or spreadsheets then you need something else. :thumb:

OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Those are the answers I wanted, thanks

I still got the feeling I'll get told by her to get an ipad:cry:

Cheers
2dogs

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
It really depends what you want one for, I have an iPad, which is great but it does not do everything a computer does. It's good for surfing the net, playing games etc but [HI]if you want to do word processing or spreadsheets then you need something else[/HI]. :thumb:

Can be done on an iPad..........

I often update Excel spreadsheets through Dropbox on my iPad......:winky:

::bigsmile:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
If you want to pay more, Ipad, if you want to pay less, tablet, depends only on that. If you want to do spreadsheet work or use a word processor get a notebook, cheaper than a tablet.

Rgds
Bill

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have an Asus tablet................ how I WISH I had bought an Ipad instead :cry:

Yes they cost more but I think they are so much nicer to use, better quality, nicer operating system, fantastic screen and ......... I could go on here :winky:

Pays yer money and takes yer choice :RollEyes:

(Hard hat on) :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Thanks Brian,

I do value my tackle (not just my fishing kit):Eeek:
will have to tread carefully I think

Cheers

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We have two iPads and two Android Tablets (and 2 laptops) whist travelling between the four of us, 2 adults, 2 young boys........

All of us favour the iPads........::bigsmile:
That's simply the truth......:thumb::thumb:

My little lad when 3 could use reading and counting educational Apps and games on the iPad with absolute ease.
A year later whist using the same Apps on a "good quality" Android tablet, he remarked

"Dad.........this is so slow and the screen is clumsy"......

"out of the mouths of babes" and all that.........

::bigsmile:

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
(1) A two year old iPad is worth decent money; nobody wants a two year old tablet.

(2) The iPad always has the latest manufacturers updates downloaded automatically to deal swiftly with gremlins; who is going to update your obscure make tablet?

(3) The nice people in your local Apple store are trained to help you, they know the produces and will exchange right there/then if the problem is hardware related; who else offers this service?

(4) The Apple product is in many ways 'locked-down' to protect you from dodgy apps creating incompatibility/instability, hacks and inadvertent user meddling. The majority of users don't need to tinker with the innards just as the majority of premium car owners never lift the bonnet of their car.

(5) Spare parts such as screens and batteries are available for 'old' products; could you still get a replacement screen for that tablet in a years time?

(6) Apple iPads have machines aluminium chassis that makes them tough and resilient; does that tablets polycarbonate chassis have the same?

Frankly you get what you pay for. If you really cannot afford a new/secondhand iPad or want to be a nerd delving into the deepest inner workings then buy something else!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
(1) A two year old iPad is worth decent money; nobody wants a two year old tablet.

(2) The iPad always has the latest manufacturers updates downloaded automatically to deal swiftly with gremlins; who is going to update your obscure make tablet?

(3) The nice people in your local Apple store are trained to help you, they know the produces and will exchange right there/then if the problem is hardware related; who else offers this service?

(4) The Apple product is in many ways 'locked-down' to protect you from dodgy apps creating incompatibility/instability, hacks and inadvertent user meddling. The majority of users don't need to tinker with the innards just as the majority of premium car owners never lift the bonnet of their car.

(5) Spare parts such as screens and batteries are available for 'old' products; could you still get a replacement screen for that tablet in a years time?

(6) Apple iPads have machines aluminium chassis that makes them tough and resilient; does that tablets polycarbonate chassis have the same?

Frankly you get what you pay for. If you really cannot afford a new/secondhand iPad or want to be a nerd delving into the deepest inner workings then buy something else!

OUCH ! but I do agree with you :thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Some folks complain about Apples iron hand control of what you can do with their products, the positive side of this is that any third party Apps written for Apple are vetted by Apple before being allowed to be marketed, conversely Apps for Android based Tablets are not controlled and viruses may be introduced.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Ipad or cheaper imitation

We have an ipad ok it`s more expensive than some of the cheaper tablets,
er!!!!! let me think about that statement.
It`s not the cheapest, I can`t believe some of the people on here saying you can get a cheaper tablet that does the same job, of course it`s not the cheapest but it is the best.
Now then hands up who has a cheapo camera, or buy their clothes from charity shops.
How about that budget motorhome, that cheap little tele with useless speakers, a Chinese built motorcycle, a tool kit made of christ knows what material from the pound shop.
Lets`s be honest you get what you pay for, quality 95% of the time will pay you back over and over.:thumb:

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Some folks complain about Apples iron hand control of what you can do with their products, the positive side of this is that any third party Apps written for Apple are vetted by Apple before being allowed to be marketed, conversely Apps for Android based Tablets are not controlled and viruses may be introduced.

That for me is the big issue with all PC based products. For all Apple's negatives, the fact is you will still be using the IPad or Macbook in 5yrs time, whilst the tablet will be gathering dust in the corner or your laptop will be clunking and whirring as it struggles to deal with all the add-on programmes etc.

Having said that, the price is also an issue, you can change that tablet after 2 yrs and still pay less in total than a decent specced iPad.

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
We have just swapped from Ipads to Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1's muxh better I think as previously memtioned apples grip and control I dont like.

So easy to buy music and drag and drop on to the samsung. We have also swapped our iphones to samsung galaxy note 2's againuch better amd having external sd cards to increase memory is a major buying factor for us

Cheers
G

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Karl (Chippy63) has a Note 10 ins only used a few times @ 10 mths old /14 mths warranty still remaing for sale for 200 quid :thumb: that's a bargain :Smile:
You could buy that and have the benefit of a quality tab at a budget price with the Samsung gtee :winky:
Terry

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Been using a Blackberry playbook for a while now.
It`s unbreakable my 4 year old tells me.
It is high quality at a quarter the price---(something to do with not being trendy any more):roflmto:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I can't speak for other tablets but we bought my father in law a Kindle Fire HD.

I can honestly say that my 3rd generation iPad is far, far superior in all respects except for battery usage .

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
question for those in the know (coz I ain't got a clue)

what is better about an ipad?

Cheers
2dogs

What do you or your Mrs want to do with an iPad or tablet? I have the use of an IPad, Nexus 7 and my notebook. All 3 have advantages and disadvantages over the others. I also have a Samsung Galaxy smart phone. They can all surf the Internet, produce and edit documents and spreadsheets, watch TV and films and display kindle books.

The iPad is sleeker and easy to use but I had the fact that I cannot attach USB or memory sticks to it - therefore, I can't share files with people or myself when not connected to the Internet and I find it painful trying to locate files that I want to delete or copy. I am pretty IT literate and hate how the iPad makes me feel incompetent.

Let us know what you want to do with it if you have not already taken the plunge.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Don't forget if you have an Ipad and an IMac then there is the Cloud!

This is what I bought my Ipad, that and the fact have used PC's for work since they first came out, but i can honestly say a Mac is far far superior!

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Jean & I both have iphones. She has an ipad and I have a Samsung Galaxy 10.1. Having experienced both systems I prefer the extra flexibility of the Galaxy and the way it operates. I've nothing against Apple prods. but just find that I prefer the Samsung. I think that while the comments regarding 'tablets' (other than Ipads) may apply where the cheaper ones are concerned I think that the Samsung machines will stand their ground against the Apple ones.

If I were choosing now I'd go for a Galaxy first choice, Ipad second and others further down the queue.

Wyn

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have iphone and ipad and S2 and Note 10.1. I prefer the Samsung but my partner prefers the apple.:winky:
Personally I don't think either can compare with windows for all-round usability.

Are we forgetting the MS Surface. Poo Poo it if you like but I have it on good authority that a number of large institutions are now looking at ditching their ipads for the MS option. To be honest I like the Surface a lot.:thumb:

OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Thanks all for your input,

We would be using the device for surfing, email, the other half likes to play the occasional game, a word type doc would be needed and ability to transfer docs between devices.

We are not big phone users, mine has a black/white screen, one ring tone and £10 lasts me about 5 months so an iphone is of no interest.

We will probably go for the galaxy note .... or so I've been told

Thanks again

2dogs

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back