In praise of cruise... (2 Viewers)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
...as in control, rather than Tom. We picked up our second-ever van, an Autocruise Starseeker, last week, which is filled with bells and whistles, including cruise control. I've nver had this before, and had a rather sniffy, purist, attitude towards it - as in 'what next, auto steering?'. My attitude has swiftly gone into reverse, as using cruise suits my driving style to a T.

I hate braking on motorways - it really should be a last resort in an emergency. If you keep a decent distance and anticipate properly, speed can be regulated by the accelerator. And CC makes this so much easier. I set it to around 62 mph, which means the 3 litre engine's turning over at 1800, its peak torque. Then its both feet flat on the floor, with speed regulated by the CC lever. I spend 90% of a motorway journey in lanes 1 and 2, where a speed of 62ish gets me by lorries happily enough. The CC lever is more sensitive than my right foot, and makes for a more relaxing drive.

So - that's set me up for a kicking, I imagine...

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
...as in control, rather than Tom. We picked up our second-ever van, an Autocruise Starseeker, last week, which is filled with bells and whistles, including cruise control. I've nver had this before, and had a rather sniffy, purist, attitude towards it - as in 'what next, auto steering?'. My attitude has swiftly gone into reverse, as using cruise suits my driving style to a T.

I hate braking on motorways - it really should be a last resort in an emergency. If you keep a decent distance and anticipate properly, speed can be regulated by the accelerator. And CC makes this so much easier. I set it to around 62 mph, which means the 3 litre engine's turning over at 1800, its peak torque. Then its both feet flat on the floor, with speed regulated by the CC lever. I spend 90% of a motorway journey in lanes 1 and 2, where a speed of 62ish gets me by lorries happily enough. The CC lever is more sensitive than my right foot, and makes for a more relaxing drive.

[HI]So - that's set me up for a kicking, I imagine[/HI]...

Certainly not Eric, all your reasons are exactly why I fitted one. I would say lack of fatigue on long journeys is the biggest plus point.:thumb:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
This is one thing i cannot get my head round .I have had cruise control for a number of years in my van and cars ,and when i used to use it i never felt in control i seemed to speed up round bends and if tired was worried i could fall asleep with car heading on its merry way .So not used it for years now prefare to feel that little bit more in control not to sugest i am lol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I too am a fan of cc, but....how you can sit at 62 using lane one and two beats me.

i generally use lane one at around 52/53mph...when i need to pull out to pass a truck etc i usually have to brake as there is no gap in lane two large enough for me to pull into.

to anticipate a gap 200mtrs back and start to accelerate is pointless as it will be filled long before it gets to me

please be aware i run at 7500kg so dont have lightning acceleration so to accelerate to a lane two speed in anticipation could mean even harder braking if the selected gap is suddenly filled by a car from lane three.

Last edited:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I couldn't agree more. The last few cars I had came with cruise control but didn't (and still doesn't) get much use because there is little point on the short local trips. When I bought the motorhome, however, I soon realised how useful it would be for that kind of journey. I would find myself getting really uncomfortable sitting for mile after mile without moving my foot on the accelerator and developing a pain in the......ankle!
So I contacted Dave Newell to enquire about having it fitted. I was surprised at how little it cost and he did a great job of fitting it.
I never go out in the van now without blessing the CC and can drive in comfort and unstressed for miles and miles.:thumb:

Wyn

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
True 70 on the gps and engage cruise:ROFLMAO:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
I couldn't agree more. The last few cars I had came with cruise control but didn't (and still doesn't) get much use because there is little point on the short local trips. When I bought the motorhome, however, I soon realised how useful it would be for that kind of journey. I would find myself getting really uncomfortable sitting for mile after mile without moving my foot on the accelerator and developing a pain in the......ankle!
So I contacted Dave Newell to enquire about having it fitted.[HI] I was surprised at how little it cost[/HI] and he did a great job of fitting it.
I never go out in the van now without blessing the CC and can drive in comfort and unstressed for miles and miles.:thumb:

Wyn

So how much did it cost? And what is your base vehicle? Please.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Transit base and it cost £300ish. Worth every penny as far as I'm concerned.
If you were to get it done at Dave Newell's the service is excellent. In addition he gives Funster discount and also you can make the trip worthwhile you can spend the day at Blists Hill visitor attraction which is worth the journey by itself. I belive he now offers customers a voucher for admission:thumb:

Wyn

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
...as in control, rather than Tom. We picked up our second-ever van, an Autocruise Starseeker, last week, which is filled with bells and whistles, including cruise control. I've never had this before, and had a rather sniffy, purist, attitude towards it - as in 'what next, auto steering?'. My attitude has swiftly gone into reverse, as using cruise suits my driving style to a T.

Not many Starseekers about, but we have one and love it. Wouldn't be without CC especially on the long drive to the winter sun. :sin: :Cool:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Even better is SPEED LIMITER, set appropriate limit for road/area 30/40/50mph etc and you will never get a speeding ticket. You can slow down, brake or get back to set limit whenever.

Peter

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Interesting to read the thread about Dave Newall, he gave me a very good quote when I first bought my van which I plan to have him fit early next year. I have CC in my car and always use it on long journeys, so I can't wait to have it fitted to the van. :thumb:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I also use cruise to keep me down to the speed limits wherever possible. It's so easy to exceed them with modern vehicles/

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I use it in all our cars and the van. Love it..:thumb:

I love it particularly for motorway roadworks and the "50 mph" limited / variable stretches.
It just makes it so easy and relaxing to keep within those annoying speed limits.

::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
.So - that's set me up for a kicking, I imagine...

In Belgium, yes. Banned there.

I am anti, I have to admit. It's so easy to just switch off, or relax as you put it, with such automation and that could lead to a fraction of second lapse that gets you killed.

Funnily enough there was a program on TV a week or two ago analysing air disasters. They have total cruise control and some pilots are getting so laid back when something happens they don't react properly. One incident, the airspeed was dropping, just a few small digits in a huge display. Pilot missed this. Just before the stall the "stick shaker" alerted to pilot who then pulled the stick instead of pushing it, completing the stall and killing everyone. So cruise control in aircraft has cost hundreds of lives.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I have had it on my last four cars and now on my motorhome and almost never use it, I always feel I can drive more economically without it and certainly feel more in control.

When I get old and rickety I may change my mind

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back