Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi all,
Does anyone tow a car behind their motorhome? What's the pro's and con's of this?
Wife'e wants to take a small car with us on our UK adventures so looking for some pointers. I have seen the A frames about but is this safe, legal and worthwhile. SWMBO pointed towards some tuggers on our site and mentioned the 'ease' of jumping in the car - then off for the day.
I'm worried about her possible 'lean' to the dark side.:Doh:

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

mdixon

Free Member
Nov 7, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T660
Exp
Hi all,
Does anyone tow a car behind their motorhome? What's the pro's and con's of this?
Wife'e wants to take a small car with us on our UK adventures so looking for some pointers. I have seen the A frames about but is this safe, legal and worthwhile. SWMBO pointed towards some tuggers on our site and mentioned the 'ease' of jumping in the car - then off for the day.
I'm worried about her possible 'lean' to the dark side.:Doh:

Regards,

Here we go !!! I expect the abuse. If you want a caravan, buy a caravan. :Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

Me - I got electric bikes, great fun and not demanding. 30 Miles range, after that you have to do all the pedaling.

Get you out in the fresh air
Give it a go before you become a caravan owner

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
We regularly take our motor home out for the day with ease.We simply get up have breakfast,wash up,tidy up and drive off for the day.

Vlad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Here we go !!! I expect the abuse. If you want a caravan, buy a caravan. :Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

Me - I got electric bikes, great fun and not demanding. 30 Miles range, after that you have to do all the pedaling.

Get you out in the fresh air
Give it a go before you become a caravan owner

:roflmto: No, I don't really want a caravan - your right, if I wanted one I would buy one. Love my motorhome too much.

We always take our bikes with us, non-electric (not at that point just yet) :roflmto: but as we always take the dog with us, he does get 'a bit iffy' after some time in his trailer, especially when there are other dogs about - he just keeps barking and jumping about, nearly ended up in several hedges due to sudden leaps to the right, its like keeping a bear in a small cage.:whatthe:

Anyway - back to the original thing, we are looking at the 'possibility' of taking a car and is it really worth the agro. We currently (if needed) take the MH from the site to where ever we wish to go but sometimes it gets difficult to park in some places and some of the, more than a bike ride, destinations we wish to explore can be a drama to take the MH.

Just looking at alternatives and possibilities really.

Regards,

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We run an American RV and yes we "Sometimes" tow when we feel we may need a car with us
We coose to A frame others choose a trailer,, some with no imagination suggest you buy a caravan (He did ask for insults)
A frames £1000 to set up new with very little re sale value buy second hand and save some dosh
Half decent used trailer £ 1000 almost gaurantee mony back
Remember you dont need anyones aproval to do what is best for you
You did say Uk tour so wont go into Spains objections to the A frame
Whater you decide enjoy:thumb:
G

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have been aframing a Ka for around 7 years in the UK and have found it very easy and useful with no problems.

We also carry bikes and so have all the options.

Currently we are at Wildman's rally in Devon and decided not to bring the car and although the busses are very handy regretting not having the toad.

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You will get many different views on this subject, the important thing is , do what suits you, If you regularly stop for a week in one place then a car is an added bonus to your holiday.
We occasionally tow on an a-frame if we intend stopping in one place or if it's more convenient to visit places with limited access.
The thing is if you have a car available you have the option of a 'caravan holiday' or a motorhome holiday.
As for legal,is an endless debate, we have an electric a frame mainly because it's possibly nearer to remain more legal than an over ride system and it's lighter to handle.
We have tried the trailer route but in our case a pain , storage, strapping on, extra weight etc. Can't have bikes (chemotherapy destroyed my balance)
Have a look on ebay for pre converted cars.
Hope this helps, PM me if you need to know more, as I said you will get 50% negative & 50% positive replies, do what suits you.:thumb:

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
We take a smart car on a trailer and find it really handy. Have looked into A frames but not convinced yet and I understand the regulations are changing next year, so things may be different. We have not had any problems with towing our little trailer and always manage to fit it on pitches. This year we also took the bikes with no problems.

For us having the little car has made a big difference to being able to get around and explore a bit more. Our trailer just fits in the garage and the Smart is perfect as a second car and cheap to run. The only down side is you do need to think about where you are going and the route, but that's fine for us as we tend to stay on sites. If we are touring then we leave the car at home. Everyone has a different view and you pick your own path.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We are now committed to getting a trailer.
The oh is swapping her car for a fiat 500 and we will take it with us when we go anywhere for more than a couple of days.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I was thinking of getting a little toad like a Citren C1.

I would A frame it as a trailer seems a kerfuffle to me.

I don't think we would use it much but as said a car is handy if you are stopping somewhere for a week or so.

As has also been said, do what suits you, not what others say you should do.:thumb:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
to tow or not to tow

As previous post show there are a lot od mixed feelings on this subject.
Until last month we owned an Autotrail Arapaho, almost 29ft on a tag axle so not the easiest of vehicles to get into small places.
Car parks don`t seem to cater for the larger motorhome for what ever reason, getting into some suprmarkets was a task, why they feel the need to have a go-kart type entrance is beyond me.
We have now bought a new Autotrail Apache a little smaller so parking in towns will be a tad easier.
If we want to tour around and feel the motorhome isn`t the vehicle to use we just hire a car, got one up in Scotland for 4 days for £66.
That`s a hell of a lot cheaper than fitting a tow bar, buying a trailor or "A" frame, if you have a small car that helps but if you don`t you also have to buy the car, tax and insure it plus all the running costs.
So a few options you just need to find the best to suit yourselves.

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Until last month we owned an Autotrail Arapaho, almost 29ft on a tag axle so not the easiest of vehicles to get into small places.
Car parks don`t seem to cater for the larger motorhome for what ever reason, getting into some suprmarkets was a task, why they feel the need to have a go-kart type entrance is beyond me.
We have now bought a new Autotrail Apache a little smaller so parking in towns will be a tad easier.
If we want to tour around and feel the motorhome isn`t the vehicle to use we just hire a car, got one up in Scotland for 4 days for £66.
That`s a hell of a lot cheaper than fitting a tow bar, buying a trailor or "A" frame, if you have a small car that helps but if you don`t you also have to buy the car, tax and insure it plus all the running costs.

What a cracking idea - :thumb: never thought about a hire car. For the times we are looking at it's when we have parked up for a few days, not so much the weekend. We will look into this idea - I am fastidious about working out costs and benefits and the hire car could be an option for longer than a few days stay.
Thanks for the 'curve ball' idea - not one I'd thought about.

Regards,:thumb:

Trikeman. :winky:

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
we tow a austin A35 van all over the country on an A frame. It is easy to set up or remove for use. Even tho it weighs less than 750kgs, it still needs brakes to be within the law. This is for two reasons....the max LADEN weight is what is counted, and also, any vehicle or trailer that has brakes fitted, they must work if in contact with the road. There are all sorts of ways that manufacturers of A frames use to do this, but they are usually very easy to use. As said, look on ebay etc for a car with the kit already fitted. I have seen quite a few nice cars for under £1500. You can also get charged extra for a trailer at some sites, as it takes up extra room when the car is removed and parked alongside.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

i tow a kia picanto behind my van if we are touring for 1/2 months, but if we are going to a mororhome fun event i will take my box trailer as i have to carry wife,s mobility scooter in it
as stated its what suits you/your need best:thumb:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
We have a auto Renault Kangoo estate as a shopping car and take with us a couple of times a year on a BJ trailer, just spent a few days at Rockingham castle, then onto a CL site just outside Pevensey Bay near Eastbourne for 5 days and now at a dog show in Ashford Kent, the trailer tows a treat and I have no doubt I will get the money back when I sell, takes 10 minutes to get the car loaded and strapped down and ready to go.

I was going to take the hire car route as that is the cheapest way of doing but wanting to take 6 dogs with us at times ruled that out. If you have dogs and want a great little CL near to the coast this is great at £12 per night

Dave

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

Us too . In the UK we hire . Much easier. When in Plymouth to visit grandchildren for example we stop pick up hired car on way in. One takes car the other the motorhome to the site. Drop off the same way when leaving . Got a motorbike trailer and use that in the winter mainly for the fun aspect . We have 8m motorhome and use it for shopping etc when away but must admit is more difficult in UK for parking !!

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Electric bikes for us on a towball mounted carrier, worked well for the last month's trip to Yorkshire and Derbyshire.
Last year' on the Lizard peninsula in Cornwall, we hired a car from Enterprise in Penzance, they sent a driver to collect us from the campsite, (approx 12 miles away),when we returned the car 5 days later, they ran us back to the site again, all for about £20 a day as I recall, horses for courses and each to his own etc.

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
we have just bought a smart car and a trailer, a frame is more convenient, but illegal in spain and france and maybe here in time

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back