New road rules, so when did YOU read the Highway Code? (2 Viewers)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
As you will know the new regs come in today, with instant fines.

It prompted me to ask, when did you last read - I mean really read - an up to date copy of the Highway Code?

I will own up that I haven't read one for about 9 years, and I have been driving for 55 years and in all that time I have only read it about 8 times.

Like lots of people, I guess I thought " I knew the rules, and anyway I always drove correctly.......didn't I !!

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
1979:Blush:

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
Highway Code

Of course you you. Just like wot I do. A an old man. Drove lorries. Buses, now motorhomes so like you. I know it all,don't need to read it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:oopp5opp5opp5

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
As one of my son’s is siting his theory test soon I was looking over it but didn’t rely reed it I have been driving 30years I know the rules don’t I ?

I don’t need sum namby pamby book :Eeek:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
So tell us what has changed? other than the middle lane hog rule so prominent in the news.:roflmto:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
So is merging alternately at lane-blocking cones still permitted to ease the traffic flow, or will those tossers who straddle the white lines 500 yards short of the cones have their day?

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
highway code

Just recently I passed my CBT so I can legally use a 125cc. (something ive done for years), naughty boy !
So the next step is for a theory test. You can go on line and take the practice theory test (old exams) which I did, and to my surprise I passed both parts scoring 44/55 and 45/50. Its a good excercise to do it and see if you would pass.
Regards Phil

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Non-endorsable fixed penalty notice (where the driver does not receive points on their licence)
Failing to give way, obscuring registration number, stopping on the hard shoulder, misuse of headlights, sounding horn at night

£50
Endorsable fixed penalty notice (points issued)
Using a mobile while driving, speeding, reversing on a motorway, not stopping at a red light

£100
Non-endorsable fixed penalty notice
Failure to display tax disc, not wearing a seat belt when driving, driving without an MOT certificate

£100
Endorsable fixed penalty notice offence
Failure to identify driver

£200
Driving without third party insurance

£300

The move brings careless or inconsiderate driving offences into line with the penalties for similar non-motoring fixed penalties. Drivers can still appeal against any decision through the courts.

Among the offences police are expected to focus on are:
• Driving too close to the vehicle in front
• Failing to give way at a junction (not requiring evasive action by another driver)
• Overtaking and pushing into a queue of traffic
• Being in the wrong lane and pushing into a queue on a roundabout
• Lane discipline, such as needlessly hogging the middle or outside lanes
• Inappropriate speed
• Wheel-spins, handbrake turns and other careless manoeuvres

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
On my return to this sceptered isle a few weeks ago I bought an up to date copy of the Highway Code..So I'm currently reading it...I was an instructor for 13 years..all classes Car HGV PSV and motorcycles..so it pays to be well read on the subject..And keep up with the times..

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
failing to display a tax disc warrants a higher fine than speeding and driving whilst on a mobile...bizarre

so the intention clearly isnt to increase safety on the roads then!!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
failing to display a tax disc warrants a higher fine than speeding and driving whilst on a mobile...bizarre

so the intention clearly isnt to increase safety on the roads then!!

No it is £100 in both cases.

The way it has copied has put the fine attached to the wrong bit of text.
The fine figure relates to the text above it and not the text below it

Non-endorsable - fixed penalty notice (where the driver does not receive points on their licence)
Failing to give way, obscuring registration number, stopping on the hard shoulder, misuse of headlights, sounding horn at night £50

Endorsable fixed penalty notice - (points issued)
Using a mobile while driving, speeding, reversing on a motorway, not stopping at a red light £100

Non-endorsable - fixed penalty notice
Failure to display tax disc, not wearing a seat belt when driving, driving without an MOT certificate £100

Endorsable fixed penalty - notice offence
Failure to identify driver £200

Endorsable fixed penalty - notice offence
Driving without third party insurance £300

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
REAL Men!::bigsmile:

Don't need Instructions:RollEyes:

Toughen up Funster:Cool:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
So is merging alternately at lane-blocking cones still permitted to ease the traffic flow, or will those tossers who straddle the white lines 500 yards short of the cones have their day?

BUT THEY DONT MERGE ALTERNATELY (some hope) You have been waiting in line for a few minutes when some a--ehole comes flying past and cuts in. That is why some tosser stradles the white line and i dont blame them. BUSBY:roflmto:

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Whats to stop some copper just pulling you over and demanding a fixed penalty even though youve done nothing wrong....two coppers were caught doing this in Lincoln many years ago before the fixed penalty.

Do the Law Lords think that coppers are all honest?....they have a lot to learn...I was once prosecuted for something I didn't do....but they believed the copper instead of me...

Will I EVER trust a copper again....not on your life....once bitten forever shy..

Just wait and see how much revenue is suddenly raised....licence to print money as far as I can see....

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Whats to stop some copper just pulling you over and demanding a fixed penalty even though youve done nothing wrong....two coppers were caught doing this in Lincoln many years ago before the fixed penalty.

Do the Law Lords think that coppers are all honest?....they have a lot to learn...I was once prosecuted for something I didn't do....but they believed the copper instead of me...

Will I EVER trust a copper again....not on your life....once bitten forever shy..

Just wait and see how much revenue is suddenly raised....licence to print money as far as I can see....

But I guess there will still be circumstances when you would still dial 999....

::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Non-endorsable fixed penalty notice (where the driver does not receive points on their licence)
Failing to give way, obscuring registration number, stopping on the hard shoulder, misuse of headlights, sounding horn at night

£50
Endorsable fixed penalty notice (points issued)
Using a mobile while driving, speeding, reversing on a motorway, not stopping at a red light

£100
Non-endorsable fixed penalty notice
Failure to display tax disc, not wearing a seat belt when driving, driving without an MOT certificate

£100
Failure to identify driver

£200
Driving without third party insurance

£300

The move brings careless or inconsiderate driving offences into line with the penalties for similar non-motoring fixed penalties. Drivers can still appeal against any decision through the courts.

Among the offences police are expected to focus on are:
• Driving too close to the vehicle in front
• Failing to give way at a junction (not requiring evasive action by another driver)
• Overtaking and pushing into a queue of traffic
• Being in the wrong lane and pushing into a queue on a roundabout
• Lane discipline, such as needlessly hogging the middle or outside lanes
• Inappropriate speed
• Wheel-spins, handbrake turns and other careless manoeuvres[
/QUOTE]

they are taking all the fun out of motoring...:winky:

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year

In this case the only option is to know the law, and put dought in officers mind. Happened to me a number of occasions when I drove tippers a few years ago.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
fine for no insurance 300 fine for no tv licence 1000 that makes sense
when i was a lad no insurance was an automatic ban so whats changed ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back