Aires warning? (1 Viewer)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
we are off to the Chunnel later today. my husbands mates at work have been scaremongering him about staying on aires!!! do we have any cause for concern? probably Gravelines tonight moving onto Belgium tomorrow.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
When you arrive at an Aire take a good look, if it looks okay, and you feel okay, fine. Any doubts, go somewhere else. This is the system we use for sites as well.

Rgds
Bill

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Worried....??

Motorway aires - yes you should be

Small town & village aires - no, but again, if it looks and feels safe, then it probably is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
we are off to the Chunnel later today. my husbands mates at work have been scaremongering him about staying on aires!!! do we have any cause for concern? probably Gravelines tonight moving onto Belgium tomorrow.

Gravelines one of my favourite stops,into town over the little bridge to have a drink with the locals in the pmu, then back across the big bridge to Rudys restaurant in the yacht club , superb and not over dear::bigsmile:

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
aires just fine

Aires are fine in general. Where there are other vans no problem. Dont stay on mototway aires overnight, and take a look around. We only ever left 1 aire for safety reasons after arriving.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Its quite well known that motorway aires are best avoided. We have stayed on about 40 aires and never had the slightest problem, my wife would soon let me know if she didn't feel safe.

We do usually try to find an aire with a few other motorhomes parked up.

You will love motorhoming in France and French aires, they are great.

Have a good trip.

Paul

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I would say NO..But use your discretion as has been said if you don't feel right move on..Motorway aires have a bad name not the serviced Village/Town Aires..go away and enjoy just be a bit more vigilant...

Jealous Me..I'll say..ENJOY!!!

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As mentioned, the general advice is not to use motorway aires but other than that, most "aires de service - camping car" are very good places to stay. If the locality looks a bit dodgy, move on to another - there are loads of them. We have had many holidays in France using aires almost exclusively. In Germany the stellplatz are excellent and we have just returned from Holland and Belgium where again, most are first rate.
In France, you will also find several local "camping caristes" staying in town squares as well as using aires - obviously not in very busy places where parking restrictions apply.
The only time we felt uneasy on an aire was at the official one just south of Orleans. There were local youths 'burning up' the surrounding area well into the small hours.

In case you have not found it, here is the link to probably the best source of information on aires in France (and many other countries).
http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

Good luck and enjoy yourselves.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I AM ON A AIRE NOW we have done hundreds & hundreds & hundreds of Aires in France ...we live in France...we only stop on Aires in France...motorway Aires are ok during the day...when you are ready to stop the night look for an Aire in a town or village near to where you are...and head there....
It’s like the gas scare there is always somebody that knows a friend of a friend of a friend’s brother's sister's cousin’s uncle that knows somebody ??????? And the list goes on that they got g*****:Eeek::Doh:,,,,,
A nice English.. Yarkshire couple that has just gone back to the UK that was parked next to us..1st time in France with a motorhome ...they too had all these stories..???? And wished they had been told about all these Aires… and purchased a book on Aires before they came......it might have saved them a few euros..no sorry a LOT OF EUROS....
Most of these stories are from people who have never been or stopped on Aires

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Psst psst oi mate.. I've got this gas detecor right.. My mates mates told me they got gassed loads of times and robbed.. I can sell you this detector and you'll be ok innit.

(I was joking btw)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I avoid motorway aires because of all the urine on the ground. Just how many people pee on the ground each day???????
After the first couple of daytime stops when my shoes and the dogs paws stank when we got back in the car ( thank you whoever invented wet wipes) I never stop on them day or night.

Towns and villages general OK.

Park so you can exit niftily should you feel you need to.
Know where your keys are!!!!!
Don't have anything covering the windscreen that prevents you driving away quickly ( Guess blocks would be a bit of a hazard too)

As " weapons" are illegal, a can of far reaching wasp nest spray ( available in every Brico in France) is totally legal but oh so nasty.
Ditto cheap can of body spray ( the really tacky ones teenage girls go for) Does not mix well with eyes.

I also have a ring pull alarm that would shriek so by the time I've attacked their ears, eyes and the dogs had their legs/ arms, woe betide anyone who tried to mess with my motorhome!!!

Last edited:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
The only aire we've ever been on that was in any way problematic was one on a sea front road where there were some noisy youths on m/cycles making a noise. Didn't feel unsafe just a bit noisy and they cleared off after a while and all was fine.

Some of the aires we've been on have been in lovely locations.

Not stayed on all that many campsites in France but can't say I would prefer them to aires.

I bet when you come home you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Wyn

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I stop on motorways Aires at least once or twice every visit. Never had a problem. However I do pick them carefully well away from major cities and I prefer to stop on the ones on peage sections.

Village Aires however are my favourite :thumb:

Allegro83

Free Member
Jul 20, 2010
Balfron, Stirling
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer L
Exp
15 years
We've stayed on Aires in villages and campsites in France. Only problem we've come across was on a campsite where a British neighbour 3 pitches away had his quarter light removed and glovebox rifled. We had no problems because we had external screens on or they thought we were French as we had a Chausson!!! Always look at situation and move on if you do not feel happy. The campsite was in Chalons en Champagne and not cheap just wanted to stay there.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We have stopped at Chalons many times before but stayed there recently and decided not to go back, it's gone downhill. Seemed to be a lot of itinerant workers staying in the chalets.

Rgds
Bill

Allegro83

Free Member
Jul 20, 2010
Balfron, Stirling
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer L
Exp
15 years
The majority of these posts seem to have a warning attached. So, why not stayed on a proper campsite with nice showers and toilets and safe!

My point was we were staying on a campsite with showers and toilets and 22€ per night and that's the only place we have come across problems. 3 tents were slashed and bags taken. The British Motorhome quarter light and an awning slashed and believe it or not the cruet taken!!

So be careful and put things out of sight wherever you are staying and if it doesn't feel right move on.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My point was we were staying on a campsite with showers and toilets and 22€ per night and that's the only place we have come across problems. 3 tents were slashed and bags taken. The British Motorhome quarter light and an awning slashed and believe it or not the cruet taken!!

So be careful and put things out of sight wherever you are staying and if it doesn't feel right move on.

What is it that doesn't seem right, never come across it, not being flippant just never experienced it, we stayed on the last motorway aire before Calais one night, supposed to be the worst one in France but parked between two lorries and didn't wake up all night. Mind you didn't know its reputation when we did it:Doh: haven't tried campsites , couldn't afford to go if we did, its aires or France passion every time. Stayed on sites in Italy and Spain but the cost took all the enjoyment out of it for us:Sad:

Allegro83

Free Member
Jul 20, 2010
Balfron, Stirling
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer L
Exp
15 years
Only one Aire where we didn't feel comfortable, middle of the town but behind buildings which looked rundown. No other Motorhomes and large bins with contents overflowing. Didn't like the look of it so moved on.
We would agree Aires and France Passion most of the time but occasionally we use a campsite for clothes washing mainly.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
repeat of whats been said weve stayed on motorway aires all over france germany and luxembourg never a problem
busy motorways can be noisy with lorries coming and going so no good if your a light sleeper \but some of the village aires are beautiful lake and riversides ,under mountains
its so easy in france youll wonder why you didnt go sooner

Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
The only time we felt uneasy on an aire was at the official one just south of Orleans. There were local youths 'burning up' the surrounding area well into the small hours.

Good luck and enjoy yourselves.

Errr I think this may be the aire I am on right now, seems ok tonight, full house at least 20 vans and all is peaceful

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
The only time we've been robbed in 25 years of Caravanning and motor homing, including a large number of aires was on a Camping and Caravanning Club site in the Lake District. :Doh:,

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Errr I think this may be the aire I am on right now, seems ok tonight, full house at least 20 vans and all is peaceful

If you are near a leisure area with a lake, that's the one. The youths were driving round and round an area of rough ground next to the parking section. We stayed and nothing happened - it was just a bit unsettling. The other thing that made a bit of disturbance with cars coming and going until very late, was surreptitious nocturnal activity in the back seat! (theirs, not ours).

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Psst psst oi mate.. I've got this gas detecor right.. My mates mates told me they got gassed loads of times and robbed.. I can sell you this detector and you'll be ok innit.

(I was joking btw)

I noticed in a motorhome accessory shop a 'gas detector' on sale for about £60. Considering they claim to be detecting noxious gases the manufacturers can then surely tell us what gas is being used to rob people. I would be interested to know....

Paul

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Hi, we use the aires book and only the very rare time do we use a camp site - sometimes take advantage of the offers in the ACSI guide as we go off season. Brother-in-law has had van broken into twice on motorway aires and now he only uses ones on toll roads. He is reluctant to use village/town aires as he likes to travel via toll roads to get to his destination. When we travel, our only destination is the tunnel to head home and everywhere else in between is our holiday.
The only aire we have ever had trouble at was at Chateraux (maybe not spelt korektly)! - local youths screeched up and down road tooting horns until after 3 in the morning. But this was only one out of dozens used since we started motorhoming in 2008. The aires are brilliant and are designed to be used by motorhomes - go do it and enjoy.:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I AM ON A AIRE NOW we have done hundreds & hundreds & hundreds of Aires in France ...we live in France...we only stop on Aires in France...motorway Aires are ok during the day...when you are ready to stop the night look for an Aire in a town or village near to where you are...and head there....
It’s like the gas scare there is always somebody that knows a friend of a friend of a friend’s brother's sister's cousin’s uncle that knows somebody ??????? And the list goes on that they got g*****:Eeek::Doh:,,,,,
A nice English.. Yarkshire couple that has just gone back to the UK that was parked next to us..1st time in France with a motorhome ...they too had all these stories..???? And wished they had been told about all these Aires… and purchased a book on Aires before they came......it might have saved them a few euros..no sorry a LOT OF EUROS....
Most of these stories are from people who have never been or stopped on Aires

A lot people on here and on many other forums... say be careful when parking on Aires de Stationnement, Aires de service in France...do you or they have any hard black and white written evidence, this happened to YOU and not somebody else…if so could you upload a copy of the crime report so we can all see what year, What region and what village …or is it all just hear say or something you have read...passed on from forum to forum, and person to person…each time the so called theft gets greater and more items had been pinched than when rumour first started
In France we doing nothing but Aires,,,we have had NO problems..or seen any other motorhomer have a problem.....
OH yes we had had the stories from other motorhomers that a friend of a friend of a friend's friend had something pinched ...
But I must say the stories I have heard have been on campsites ..
Its like the gassing stories… it’s always somebody else
I would like to see it in black and white….a crime report from the French police or Gendarmerie…
But even then what % of these crimes are genuine and not an insurance scam, because they have broken or lost their phone and ipad…in fact they have misplaced it only find at a later date down a settee…or in a safe place that safe they had forgotten where they put it, then found it after they have been paid out???
Next to me on the Calais Port Aire is a van conversion (not French) this place is supposed to be a no go area bike pinching and other things stolen!! Aire… or so the rumour goes…we come here a lot as it is quite close to us…we have not seen anything being pinched
Well this van conversion has had there sliding door open from first thing in the morning till late at night… for two days…BUT have spent all the time next door talking drinking eating with their fellow countrymen / friends…and have had NO problems…silly maybe..as there are people out of the car parking area, also other motorhomers parked on the Aire, from Belgium, Germany,Italy,Austria,Spain,Nederlands,England,Switzeland,France, walking through the vans passing there open door to get to the sea and beach,..This Aire is packed as they have also opened up the car park in front for motorhomes from July to the end of August.
You also see other motorhomers sat outside in the sun…and move around with the sun…still leaving there doors and windows open…But there open door is not in there vision now ?

I am not saying that items pinched from motorhomes all have not happened
I am not saying that some of the theft’s are not genuine..because some are
What I am trying to say how true are all the stories…how many are genuine fact or fiction…is a lot of it scaremongering. Or is it that some people are uneasy to be on their own…just because they read something somewhere….
I have just been talking to a fellow Brit, who said it’s not what he expected, it’s not like the stories the warnings he had before coming to France and will be back next year…
All over the world there are people who pinch/thieves…
a/ as professionals,
b/ for food,
c/ for drugs,
d/ just for the fun of it…
And this means anywhere….in a tent in a field…a van wild camping…a caravan. On a campsite...a motorhome…a chalet..a static…an apartment. Your House…it is no different to being on a Aire in France …do what you would do at home ….would you leave your front door and windows open and sit in the back garden drinking!!! While there are lots of strangers around you.
Motorway Aires…I use them as a stopping place when I feel a little driving fatigue during the day or for something to eat….I do not stop on them through the night….The French say it is not a wise move for overnight sleeping on a motorway arie….…BUT is what the French say just hear say to…..

ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY:thumb:

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
A follow on from the post above
I find the French very friendly and very polite...
If you have any problem when on an Aire, that you feel is wrong and not acceptable. As someone mentioned… young French lads riding around on motorbikes on the site in the early hours in the morning...
Take their number and telephone or go to the Mairie and explain.....
The Maire has a lot of power…not like a Brit Mayor..who just walks about in a chain at functions
This was done on one occasion on an Aire we stopped at...
Three younger teenagers shouting, screeming, larking, bullying having there fun with another French lad, trying to put his face down the toilet in the Aire...A Brit having asked them to stop...phoned la Maire (a female Maire) who came straight down to the Aire and told the children off for their behaviour in front of the Brit couple..La Maire telephoned the children’s parents to come down and all had to apologise :Eeek:

Last edited:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
A follow on from the post above
I find the French very friendly and very polite...
If you have any problem when on an Aire, that you feel is wrong and not acceptable. As someone mentioned… young French lads riding around on motorbikes on the site in the early hours in the morning...
Take their number and telephone or go to the Mairie and explain.....
The Maire has a lot of power…not like a Brit Mayor..who just walks about in a chain at functions
This was done on one occasion on an Aire we stopped at...
Three younger teenagers shouting, screeming, larking, bullying having there fun with another French lad, trying to put his face down the toilet in the Aire...A Brit having asked them to stop...phoned la Maire (a female Maire) who came straight down to the Aire and told the children off for their behaviour in front of the Brit couple..La Maire telephoned the children’s parents to come down and all had to apologise :Eeek:

What a shame that kind of response isn't available here in Royaume Uni. That's the kind of response that teaches youngsters how to behave, here they are just allowed to run riot.
Wyn:cry:

Last edited:

CarolynandMike

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Liberty
Exp
since 2009
In my experience the people who think its dangerous don't actually understand what we motorhomers mean when we talk about aires. They think "motorway service station" and remember the tabloid stories they have read.

I often find myself having to explain about the lovely aires and stellplatzs we have stayed on, describing what they are and where they are located.

You've had great advice from everyone - just go and find out for yourselves. Nothing beats your own intuition about whether a place feels safe. If you carry bikes, just back the van up to a hedge or high wall where possible.

:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back