New owner panicking - help please! (1 Viewer)

TonyS

Free Member
Aug 12, 2013
dorset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
just starting out (aug 2013)
Hi All,

We're new to this forum - and indeed to motorhoming. We're very excited, but our excitement has turned to panic because of insurance! My other half has an outstanding "fault claim" on a car policy from Nov last year relating to a collision with a pedestrian in a motorway garage car park. The police attended, investigated and took no further action having concluded my partner had not done anything criminally careless or negligent. However, the third party is claiming for compensation and that is still ongoing.

SO...the result now is that so far we can't seem to find any insurer who will accept him as a driver on the policy - and that is a real problem as we will both essentially need to drive the motorhome. Most companies hear of the "open claim" and that's end of story!

So, our question is, has anyone found themselves in a similar situation and found a company who will insure in those circumstances, or could anyone suggest a company who might accept higher risk circumstances on an individual assessment basis and accept my partner as a named driver?

For the record, he's 50+, with totally clean driving licence in 35 years + of driving.

Any help or advice would bevery much appreciated, as we really don't want our motorhome dream to end before it's begun!! Thanks.

Elizabeth

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Won't your present insurer do anything for you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

TonyS

Free Member
Aug 12, 2013
dorset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for the above replies - I'll have a look at that thread. No, present insurer won't do anything as we only have a car policy - obviously insured ok on that, but they tell us that a motorhome (which we're in process of buying") is totally different criteria.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
If the motorhome is a newer one, try Comfort or Safeguard for your insurance

If it is older, Frank Pickles may be able to help. Sorry dont have time to post the links but google them.

If you can get a letter from the police explaining their views on the incident and why they are not taking any action this may work in your favour. e.g for all I know the pedestrian deliberately walked/ran etc into a collision to make a claim - and this is more common than it used to be.

Good luck with it and welcome to fun

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It sounds like your trying to get a quote just from your car insurers ?
You need to try the two biggest motorhome insurers as mentioned above. Safeguard and Comfort, see what they say and get a quote there first.

Report back. :thumb:

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
If you have joined, or are going to join, either the Caravan Club or the Camping and Caravanning Club they have their own insurance schemes that might be able to help. You should be able to inquire before you join. Although some on here are not in favour of these clubs I have to say that in over 40 years I have never had a problem. Good luck and happy motorhoming.

OP
OP
T

TonyS

Free Member
Aug 12, 2013
dorset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for you help, very much appreciated! I'll let you know how it goes!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi a friend of mine had similar problem and went to the coop there a bit more expensive than sum but cheaper than most we have been with them for year's with motorhome self-build to and never had problem and full EU brake down RECUVERY
If all else false give them a call :thumb:

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
I'm with the co'op for my work vehicle and they've told me they don't M/H and caravans and they'll be stopping the commercial vehicle end of the year so I'll have to look elsewhere for that.

Does anyone know if you can get M/H insurance policy for any driver over 25?

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
insurers

Hi, Sorry to read about your problem with your current insurance company, sadly they share all your information and details with other insurance companies so the problem could well follow you to whoever you approach for a quote.

A few years ago I was in a similar situation so understand your frustration.
Basically a van swerved in front of me hitting my front wing on a dual carrigaeway.
The police arrived, decided I wasn`t at fault from the witnesses and the damage to my vehicle.
Insurance details we exchanged, my car was taken and repaired etc etc.
When I came to renew my insurance my current company refused me further cover on the basis there was a claim against me.
Long story cut short, someone in the paperwork division had made a total cock up of events making it look like I had 3 accidents in a month, when in fact it was all the same accident, the person I was speaking to wouldn`t tell me anything stating data protection etc.
I finally managed to talk to someone higher in the company and found out that they didn`t have any details for the vehicle that had hit me so the claim was unpaid and as a result went against me.
That`s strange I said as I gave you all the detials of the driver, insurance company etc etc.
Taking it that it had taken me two weeks to get to chat to someone I wasn`t best pleased when he asked me did I still have the drivers details and if so could I give them to him.
Yes I do still have them but as you have been so rude to me considering that I gave them to you once before and you have obviously lost them and now are refusing me further insurance, no you can`t have them and hung up.

Ok I was a tad angry that through no fault of my own I was in this position, strangly enough the insurance company phoned me straight back apologising for the their attitude and they would sort out all the mess.

So all I can say to you is get back on to your insurance company and find the right person to talk to that can make a decision and not just customer services that can only act on what they have on the screen infront of them.

Good luck

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I'm with the co'op for my work vehicle and they've told me they don't M/H and caravans and they'll be stopping the commercial vehicle end of the year so I'll have to look elsewhere for that.

Does anyone know if you can get M/H insurance policy for any driver over 25?
just taled to them existing custemers will still be abile to insure ther vans but no new bussnes:Eeek:

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
i have not long ago renewd my motorhome insurance with them :Eeek:

This was just the other day, maybe I picked her up wrong! But I'm sure that what was said, could be no more new customers? My commercial policy will be handed over to a new broker come February I'll have to option to take it or leave it!

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Hi All,

However, the third party is claiming for compensation and that is still ongoing.

Elizabeth

I would be looking into counter suing for stress and inconvenience caused. Maybe they'd think twice before continuing?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun, as you can see the funsters have come up with the goods again, however unless you subscribe shortly you will be unable to posts anymore and reap the full benefit of the site. I hope you get it sorted soon and look forward t meeting you both at a rally or in the chatroom one evening.:thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks for the above replies - I'll have a look at that thread. No, present insurer won't do anything as we only have a car policy - obviously insured ok on that, but they tell us that a motorhome (which we're in process of buying") is totally different criteria.

If you go to a compare site and Be Wiser comes up, don't even think of going to them, I have, what a load of tossers ,to long a story to write on here but please avoid

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Try CIS ( Hertz ), my car insurer wouldn`t insure my Motor home as they classed it as a van so no habitation cover, tried a mh insurer who wouldn`t insure my husband as a named driver because he claimed when his car was damaged in the severe hailstone storm on 28th June last year, not his fault, so I have gone with the insurance that the owner of my MH that I bought from used, very happy with the price .:thumb:

Good luck hope you find what you are looking for.

May 29, 2012
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Cheyenne 635se
Exp
since 2008
insurance

tony try safegard at leeds they only insure m/h i have been with them for 3years they are very good phone 0800 9775953 regards mervyn

OP
OP
T

TonyS

Free Member
Aug 12, 2013
dorset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Many thanks once again to everyone who replied with great help and advice. We've just arranged cover with Comfort, so our problem is now sorted, and we can now look forward again to adventures ahead with our new motorhome.

We hope this thread may perhaps help others in future, and we're looking forward to hopefully making / meeting new friends on the forum in future. :thumb:

Elizabeth and Tony

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Well done... Hope you will join us and subscribe for more info and help as you might need in the future..
Maybe see you at a rally sometime...

:thumb:

OP
OP
T

TonyS

Free Member
Aug 12, 2013
dorset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
subscription now paid! Only wish my new insurance premium was as cheap and such good value....but hey, at least I managed to get one in the end!!! :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back