Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Hello funsters :Smile:.Can you advise me about this.
I intend to fit a wired reversing camera when my 15 metre power/video cable arrives from china.Instead of camera power from the reversing light I want it to work from a switch on the dashboard, so that if I wish I can switch the camera on whilst moving forward to check that the back end has cleared anything I might swipe when turning to the left or right.
I've read of others doing this & they say that they simply have a switch on the dashboard to operate the system.
My base veh is a 2000 Ducato 2.8 IDTD & I have plenty of blank switch positions on the dashboard.
What I need to know is,where do I cut into the loom/ignition wiring to find 12v for the switch? I have'nt had a proper look yet but I thought I might fare better with some advice so I might know what to look for. Also,as far as connections are concerned, am I better off stripping & soldering,using connector blocks,or scotchlock connectors?
I'll be very grateful for any idea's/advice.
Regards,Bob.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Why not wire it so it comes on with the ignition ? Save drilling a hole etc in the dash :thumb:

Easy way to go is to open the fuse panel and using a multimeter find something that is live with the ignition on.

Next, pull the fuse, turn on the ignition again and find out which side of the fuse is still live.

Join you +ve feed to the camera to the wire coming off the side that is dead with the fuse out.. That will ensure the line you are adding is also fused :thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hello funsters :Smile:.Can you advise me about this.
I intend to fit a wired reversing camera when my 15 metre power/video cable arrives from china.Instead of camera power from the reversing light I want it to work from a switch on the dashboard, so that if I wish I can switch the camera on whilst moving forward to check that the back end has cleared anything I might swipe when turning to the left or right.
I've read of others doing this & they say that they simply have a switch on the dashboard to operate the system.
My base veh is a 2000 Ducato 2.8 IDTD & I have plenty of blank switch positions on the dashboard.
What I need to know is,where do I cut into the loom/ignition wiring to find 12v for the switch? I have'nt had a proper look yet but I thought I might fare better with some advice so I might know what to look for. Also,as far as connections are concerned, am I better off stripping & soldering,using connector blocks,or scotchlock connectors?
I'll be very grateful for any idea's/advice.
Regards,Bob.

Don't use scotchlocks. They're so unreliable.

Are you looking for an either/or arrangement with the reverse light and the switch, or do you just want the switch only?

If the later, just take power from the stereo feed, which is easily found. It gets more complicated if you want the reverse switch to work as well. Basically, you then must take the feed from the same circuit, which you'll find available on the reverse switch itself, usually on the gearbox. However, you still need to do the "or" arrangement, which you can do with a SPDT switch, with the middle contact as the take off for your power supply and the other terminals connected to each side of the reverse switch.

If you have CANBUS, forget it without some serious modification.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Its a y2k Ducato.. no cambus on them until the facelift models in mid 2006 :Smile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Does you monitor not have an on/off button? Why do you need a switch? Wire to ignition, turn monitor off when you don't want to see what is behind you. Bodge-loks will only cause failures - split, wrap, solder,seal.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Connected mine to the cigar lighter feed. It's only on, generally, when the engine is running so can't be left draining the battery when stopped. To use the cameras, without the engine running, I've got a key that fits the steering column lock:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
This may be of help:
I Recently fitted a reversing/rear view cam with 7" "mirror" monitor all live feeds were taken direct from fuse box with twin spade piggy back fuse adapter pull out selected fuse (I used cigar lighter ) replace with adapter, and put fuse into female side of adapter.no cutting into vehicle loom was necessary .
Can be switch on/off via monitor switch also select between reversing down angle cam and rear view cam ,Ideal for me as I have no rear window. with remote control & can be use with engine on or off.
All parts need were bought from chap selling Cams at Stratford show .will also be at Malvern
jr::bigsmile:

OP
OP
gibbon

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp