gromit

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
would youbelive this just took our motorhome for 4 brand new tyres fitted on way home bang a blow out we had only drove 10 miles the other rear tyre was red hot is this right ? any help would be great

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
No that is definitely NOT right. Could be wrong load rating or under inflation.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Under-inflation perhaps??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
2 reasons-

Underinflated or a split bead caused by bad fitting.
Either way, I'd want a refund!

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Something very wrong after only ten mile and a lot of heat sounds very bad
Even half inflated I would not expect that what make are they?
Check pressure and go straight back slowly

That really is very wrong

OP
OP
gromit

gromit

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
2 reasons-

Underinflated or a split bead caused by bad fitting.
Either way, I'd want a refund!
they was at correct pressure when i had a look it looked like the bead was split but why would the other tyre be red hot ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Are they camping tyres or cheaper ones, and what pressure is in the other one
Sorry we crossed over there

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This tyre thing is a minefield int it, I have mich campers on mine 6 years old and look like new but what I keep reading on here they want changing don't know what to do, I would be right upset if I took em off and ended up in your position.
What did you take off was they ok tread wise

OP
OP
gromit

gromit

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
This tyre thing is a minefield int it, I have mich campers on mine 6 years old and look like new but what I keep reading on here they want changing don't know what to do, I would be right upset if I took em off and ended up in your position.
What did you take off was they ok tread wise
yes treadwas ok the side walls were cracking so thought id change them they were mich aswell

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
only [STRIKE][HI]three[/HI][/STRIKE] four things are going to produce that much heat.....

under inflation....very likely not seated properly when fitted and air leaking out.

brakes stuck on.... not so likely, you would notice the drag

manufacturing fault....they'll never admit it.

overloaded for the tyre weight rating.

could even be faulty pressure gauge at the garage.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds like the garage fitted cheaper tyres rather than the proper load and pressure rated ones you actually required. either false or fools economy. never cut corners with tyres and brakes, especially if you expect them to save you when you have to brake hard.

a blow out is never good and you do need to take the garage to task over this

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
tyres

hi guys,as the owner of a tyre outlet,this sort of thread always concerns me.if the tyre depot is a reputable one then im sure they would have fitted tyre with the correct load and speed indices,weather it is a budget brand tyre or a premium brand tyre shouldnt make a difference,niether should fail like that.weather it is the fact that it has been incorrectly fitted (which is the conclusion that every one always jumps to first:RollEyes:)or a manufacturers defect which is unlikely today but not impossible.or maybe the tyre has actually been damaged by a pothole or a nail or something,that to is a possiblity.we fitted some tyres on a car 2wks ago and the customer went to fill up after and caught one of the tyres on a piece of concrete after doing only 2 miles:Eeek:but whatever has caused the problem get it straight back to the tyre depot and if they are a decent company im sure they will do the right thing.let me know how you get on.
brian

Last edited:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
hi guys,as[HI] the owner of a tyre outlet[/HI],this sort of thread always concerns me.if the tyre depot is a reputable one then im sure they would have fitted tyre with the correct load and speed indices,weather it is a budget brand tyre or a premium brand tyre shouldnt make a difference,niether should fail like that.weather it is the fact that it has been incorrectly fitted (which is the conclusion that every one always jumps to first:RollEyes:)or a manufacturers defect which is unlikely today but not impossible.or maybe the tyre has actually been damaged by a pothole or a nail or something,that to is a possiblity.we fitted some tyres on a car 2wks ago and the customer went to fill up after and caught one of the tyres on a piece of concrete after doing only 2 miles:Eeek:but whatever has caused the problem get it straight back to the tyre depot and if they are a decent company im sure they will do the right thing.let me know how you get on.
brian

In this life you get what you pay for :Doh:!!! I only use Michelin Camping Tyres fitted by a friendly and competent fitter with a café across the road !!:thumb:

Guess what ??? It's in Oswestry !!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Thanks, BrianJoJosh !!!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi - We had similar problem -had tyres changed from winter tyres to summer tyres - after a few days whilst packing up - loud bang and tyre deflated on the drive - Garage gave us a new one - no questions even though it was our old summer tyre that had been fitted. Several weeks later another tyre blew out - we went back to the garage - and discussed problem - possibility they had been damaged when fitted - so we came to a satisfactory arrangement to repalce the rest of the tyres.
Fitting might be the problem?
Steve

herbies

Free Member
Apr 17, 2013
somewhere in south devon
Funster No
MH
hymer b694
Exp
on the subject my hymer 694 has a flat rear tyre i took it to a commercial tyre place and they have told me that they are all too old, and the wrong tyres to boot (must be 'camper' tyres!
I need 6 at a 3100 each!!!
ouch:cry:

OP
OP
gromit

gromit

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
been back to garage today to find the tyres they sold me were matador van tyres not a camping tyre so after some gentle persausion (honest)they have ordered me the correct continel tyres just shows you the cheek some people will go to very scarey when a tyre blows out how soes one no when they have been fitted corrctly or not correcetly ?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
The possibility of a tyre blowout is something that always concerns me which is why I have installed a TyrePal system.

This system will give prior warning in the cab while on the move of a blowout in most cases. It monitors both tyre pressure and temperature which are the main causes of failure if the tyres are generally in good condition.

Certainly in this case TyrePal I'm sure would have warned of overheating.

Having said that Jim's flashing do da's are brilliant, but don't warn if you pick up a slow puncture on the move.

OP
OP
gromit

gromit

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
The possibility of a tyre blowout is something that always concerns me which is why I have installed a TyrePal system.

This system will give prior warning in the cab while on the move of a blowout in most cases. It monitors both tyre pressure and temperature which are the main causes of failure if the tyres are generally in good condition.

Having said that Jim's flashing do da's are brilliant, but don't warn if you pick up a slow puncture on the move.
that sounds a goodi dea were do you get these from and are they easy to fit ?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

TYRON BANDS ARE BRILLIANT but a tad expensive. BUSBY::bigsmile:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
that sounds a goodi dea were do you get these from and are they easy to fit ?

The web site is www.tyrepal.co.uk ....... and basically you replace your valve caps with the supplied sender units and the cab monitor goes on your dash. The system is wireless so needs no connections although you do have to recharge the monitor occasionally.

TYRON BANDS ARE BRILLIANT but a tad expensive. BUSBY::bigsmile:

I agree but only any use if you have a blowout .... my aim is to prevent the blowout in the first place.

OP
OP
gromit

gromit

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
The web site is www.tyrepal.co.uk ....... and basically you replace your valve caps with the supplied sender units and the cab monitor goes on your dash. The system is wireless so needs no connections although you do have to recharge the monitor occasionally.

I agree but only any use if you have a blowout .... my aim is to prevent the blowout in the first place.
ok thanks chaps is there any were else I can get one with funster discount ?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
ok thanks chaps is there any were else I can get one with funster discount ?

Well after all that TyrePal came up trumps today when I got a carriage bolt in a rear tyre which caused a very fast deflation it warned me as soon as I lost 3 psi and ssved any further damage to the tyre or wheel or anything worse.:thumb:

Even Joyce has agreed that the price was worth it.

Good luck with yours when it arrives.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
on the subject my hymer 694 has a flat rear tyre i took it to a commercial tyre place and they have told me that they are all too old, and the wrong tyres to boot (must be 'camper' tyres!
I need 6 at a 3100 each!!!
ouch:cry:

nothing like touting for work. :Doh:

you dont HAVE to have camping tyres.

providing the tyre load and speed ratngs are as specified you can use commercial tyres....which are generally cheaper than camping tyres.

places like that take us for mugs and dont deserve our custom. :Angry:

Last edited:

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Value for money?

You don't HAVE to buy camping tyres, but as the difference from "white van" tyres is less than the cost of a tank full of diesel for all four you COULD.
Van tyres high mileage in a short time, camper tyres low mileage and standing still for months on end.
Different compounds and peace of mind.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You don't HAVE to buy camping tyres, but as the difference from "white van" tyres is less than the cost of a tank full of diesel for all four you COULD.
Van tyres high mileage in a short time, camper tyres low mileage and standing still for months on end.
Different compounds and peace of mind.

camping tyres have a reinforced sidewall to cope with rigours of the constant 'close to limit' loading...nothing more.

white vans spend a reasonable amount of time empty....motorhomes dont.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back