EU declares war on caravans with plan for MoT-style tests (1 Viewer)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Holidaymakers are to be hit with bills for hundreds of pounds under European Union plans to impose MoT-style tests on caravans.

Up to 200,000 families could be affected by the draconian demands which it is warned could devastate the UK’s tourism economy.

The UK government is to launch an attempt to block the regulations, but it is feared it will be passed into law by Brussels later this year.

Testing: Up to 200,000 caravans face annual MoT-style tests to see if they are roadworthy under EU plans

Under the new rules almost every caravan will have to undergo safety testing, similar to MoTs for cars.

Controversially, all other light trailers under 2000kg will remain excluded from testing and only caravans have been singled out.

German MEP Werner Kuhn, a member of the transport committee pushing the reforms, argued that regular checks are needed on caravans which can often be left 'in a barn and used only once a year'.

He added: 'Then the chicken feathers are swept away and you do not know if the brakes are still OK, if the lighting works.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-families-hundreds-pounds.html#ixzz2bVAYJMUm
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
one of the more sensible ideas to come out of Brussels in a while:thumb:
I have said for a long time that a roadworthyness check should be mandatory on a yearly basis. Have seen so many dangerous vans on the road and campsites over the years. even seen a couple catch fire as they were being towed up the road with seized brakes. one of those was outside a petrol station but 50 yards from the firestation

as a side effect the travellers will have a hard time disguising all the nicked vans they live in. Police should be able to stop them on the road and demand the genuine documents

in fact I cant honestly see a negative point to this

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
and to include every trailer in the land i presume, from the homeowners little garden trailer to the large 3500kg builders trailer.

cant have a rule for one trailer and not another.

the only difference is what the trailer chassis carries...builders materials or an accommodation unit.

then of course we move on to policing it.......which will mean registration of all trailers and subsequently registration plates in their own right.

I wont hold my breath waiting for this to happen.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
one of the more sensible ideas to come out of Brussels in a while:thumb:
I have said for a long time that a roadworthyness check should be mandatory on a yearly basis. Have seen so many dangerous vans on the road and campsites over the years. even seen a couple catch fire as they were being towed up the road with seized brakes. one of those was outside a petrol station but 50 yards from the firestation

as a side effect the travellers will have a hard time disguising all the nicked vans they live in. Police should be able to stop them on the road and demand the genuine documents

in fact I cant honestly see a negative point to this

wonder if this will make it more difficult to dump a caravan?
I have to agree with this legislation, have seen plenty of dodgy looking vans and the lights never work properly on a lot of the older ones.....:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
from oct this year new caravans will have to be registered with a vin number and go an inspection before use . it as already started some trailers already are inspected and vin,d .
there is going to be lots of changes . m,homes with garages will reqire hgv mot,s soon if carrying m,bikes boats etc as living vans . . its all coming slowly . at the moment mot testers can ask the driver what the garage area is used for .over 3,500kg and it could be hgv time .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
wonder if this will make it more difficult to dump a caravan?
I have to agree with this legislation, have seen plenty of dodgy looking vans and the lights never work properly on a lot of the older ones.....:thumb:

but thats up to the police and VOSA to enforce construction and use laws....not the EU to make new, un-enforcible ones.

how many cars are on the roads without insurance or MOT ?...more than get stopped
how many people drive without a full licence ?....more than get stopped

......and they are on a database available to the police

how many people wont have an MOT for their caravan.....more than will get stopped.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

then of course we move on to policing it.......which will mean registration of all trailers and subsequently registration plates in their own right.

And DVLA cost for a new reg plus of course they will find a way to Road Tax it

Peter

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm sure if this became law there would be a good case for minority discrimination and the caravan club would be at the forefront defending its members rights..

so the EU would be breaking their own laws from the outset.

Dec 30, 2012
Lincolnshire & Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2 Years
If this legislation gets pushed through then there just might be a whole lot of caravans "dumped" in various European campsites/storage facilities.

The ferry companies must be cock-a-hoop at the prospect of increased trade with owners having to return to UK with their caravans for their annual MOT !

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well, I'm a tad gobsmacked that anyone (except the illegals!) would mind?

People must be bananas if they set off without checking all the lights and the spare and all that jazz. I used to find that really tedious, standing on the drive behind the trailer and ergo miles away from Pete's deaf side (LOL) yelling offside brake light on, off ... etc !

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Perhaps a silly question but how can they monitor this with all the old caravans?

They dont have registration numbers so unless insurance companies provide details the government wont be able to trace them.

Personally I think every vehicle and every trailer on our roads should have annual safety checks and that includes mobility scooters too.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Perhaps a silly question but how can they monitor this with all the old caravans?

They dont have registration numbers so unless insurance companies provide details the government wont be able to trace them.

Personally I think every vehicle and every trailer on our roads should have annual safety checks and that includes mobility scooters too.

I may be wrong(often am::bigsmile:) but don't French caravans already have their own number, other trailers do

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Spanish trailers and many other continental also have a separate number plate. Two plates on the trailer tow vehicles and it own.

Trailers up to 750kg mam are category O1 vehicles. Other trailers including caravans up to 3500kg MAM are category O2 and Goods trailers over 3500kg are category O3.

Allowing only registered trailers on the road would be a good thing. It will bring the A-Frame issue to a head though in all countries. Are they a trailer or a towed vehicle?

Category O3 trailers are already plated and tested. I see no problem in reducing the weight limit to include other goods trailers and caravans. 2000kg is an odd figure however as it would rule out many light caravans and trailer tents.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

People must be bananas if they set off without checking all the lights and the spare and all that jazz. I used to find that really tedious, standing on the drive behind the trailer and ergo miles away from Pete's deaf side (LOL) yelling offside brake light on, off ... etc !

I agree Sedge ..BUT how many actually check there.. brakes ..brake shoes..overide brake ...tyres...chassis...and so on and so on:Doh:...:RollEyes::winky::winky:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
and to include every trailer in the land i presume, from the homeowners little garden trailer to the large 3500kg builders trailer.

cant have a rule for one trailer and not another.

the only difference is what the trailer chassis carries...builders materials or an accommodation unit.

John, We already have a separate registration plate for our trailer in France and separate insurance....also I often wonder why the French .....storage near there holiday spot with there little vans....then drive so few km to there destination in such tiny little old caravans just big enough to barely sleep in for two....I would think 750kg no need to registration or insure them

Last edited:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
All trailers and caravans have number plates, tax, insurance and MOT here, no avoiding it.

It has to be a good thing even though it will add a few £ for the owners.

It's pretty similar in most modern countries, its only the UK that puts safety second

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
All trailers and caravans have number plates, tax, insurance and MOT here, no avoiding it.

It has to be a good thing even though it will add a few £ for the owners.

It's pretty similar in most modern countries, its only the UK that puts safety second

>Like wise here too in Sweden, and its all done by government station's not your local garages,

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Our caravans have always had an annual check, covers everything, and then we are issued with a certificate and report also a sticker to put on the vans a frame, it`s a condition for the warranty, OH always takes the wheels off and stores in the garage, over winter, and then puts steel plates on, doesn`t do tyres any good just standing in one place for months on end, my MH has an habitation check every year. Do think this may be an opening to tax caravans though, we pay enough for the extra fuel used during towing as it is.

Cannot see them targeting the travellers though, not when they daren`t go to get that couples stolen van back, it beggars belief in this country, who says crime doesn`t pay.?:Angry:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.

Lost count of the caravans/trailers we saw with flat tyres/wheels missing, not to mention light not working properly, on the way back from France.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Yep!:thumb:

I agree, saw an accident recently on Bodmin Moor (A30) where the Caravan had detatched fron its chassis!

If it's on the Road, it should be inspected EVERY year, and should have it's own "plate" wether this is a sticker in the towing vehicles Windscreen or on the trailer itself,

AND

What a great Revenue Raiser:thumb:

Next? Every Tradesman Licenced? OOOOHHHH:thumb: spect old Georgie Porgies trews are wet just thinking about the extra revenue::bigsmile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

I have various trailers, a horsebox, stock trailer, car transporter, hay trailer, canoe trailer, small and large box trailers, dog trailer, boat trailer and a caravan if I had to get number plates for them all and get them MOT'd it would finish my way of life, caravans would only be the first step.
I'd have to sell the cars and motorhome and use a horse and cart and to hell with Europe. I don't generate the income to pay for those additional MOT's etc. safety checks are not dependant on an MOT, we stay safe because we check before every journey, which is what everyone should do instead of relying on a piece of paper issued at great expense once a year. Thank goodness I'm in the latter part of my driving life our kids have no chance to live a "normal" life.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back