What is the correct tyre pressure? (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Hi. I'm fairly new to the motorhoming world and I'm trying to clarify (once and for all) what the tyre pressures should be on my wagon. Our local tyre fitter wasn't sure and I didn't really get a precise answer from the dealer.

So, I'm not sure how much of this is relevant, but hopefully from the various information below someone more experienced will be able give me a sensible answer.

Vehicle:
Hymer 684CL Classic on a Ducato 2800 JTD, Year 2007.

Tyres:
Kumho Radial 857
215/75 SR 16C
113/111 R LT
(it states) Max Load Single 1150kg at 69 psi

From the weighbridge (full fuel but unladen):
Rear axle 1560
Whole 3080

From the manufacturer's weight plaque:
1 1850
2 2120

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Tyre pressures

Hi, i have a ducato maxi based motorhome with similar weights ,
i recently changed my tyres for continentals camper 225,s as they were £30 each cheaper ,than the 215,s
I run mine at 80psi all round , it handles well ,and the fuel economy is good , hope that helps you .
Graham

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
according to those weights and using the tyre pressure chart download in the resources section on here the pressures should be 42 all round :Eeek:

I used to run my 3850kg kontiki at 52front and 60/62 rear

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FrankK

Free Member
Aug 5, 2013
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
There is a plate (foil sticker)on my Ducato based van on the passenger door pillar, same as what you would find on a car.
5 and 5.5 Bar in my case. This was after a call to Trigano who said it was in the manual.

"But I don't have manual as it is released as a PDF to save a tree" Gave me the pressures over the phone after a bit of a search.

OP
OP
F
Aug 7, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
That's my problem. I have the owner manuals both for the Fiat and the Hymer. They list pressures for a huge range of tyres, none of which seem to match what I have.

Thanks for the advice that's been posted. It's quite a variation!

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
When i had the new tyres fitted ,

They only put 65psi in the tyres and it rolled all over the road and i reckon i lost 5mpg ,:Sad: every time you dipped the clutch the van slowed down there was so much drag .....:Eeek:

My van also has the pillar tyre presure plate it is 5.5bar for 216 , 75 ,16 .I am on 225,75,16 so i am running a bit more psi for the larger tyre ,

They have done nearly 10k ml now including Morocco and back and they are wearing evenly,:Smile:

I think ,It is a bit of trial and error till you get the right handling feel for your mh with your tyre combination ,
Graham

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So, I'm not sure how much of this is relevant, but hopefully from the various information below someone more experienced will be able give me a sensible answer.

Don't listen to anyone one here. This is safety critical. Your licence and your insurance depends on the right pressures.

Either use what the maker says or get it in writing from the tyre manufacturer after you have weighed the axles at normal travelling weight.

I use what it says on the door. If a tyre caused an accident I can point to the door.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Don't listen to anyone one here. This is safety critical. Your licence and your insurance depends on the right pressures.

Either use what the maker says or get it in writing from the tyre manufacturer after you have weighed the axles at normal travelling weight.

I use what it says on the door. If a tyre caused an accident I can point to the door.
If you change your tyres to another make model why are you using the door pressures. Surely this will no longer stand up in a court.:winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you change your tyres to another make model why are you using the door pressures. Surely this will no longer stand up in a court.:winky:

Good question but since the spec on the tyre wall is the same I'm going with the argument the pressures will be the same.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
As Brian (hilldweller) says the only safe and sure way to get the correct pressures is to take your m/h fully laden, as you would be going on your travels including passengers and pets, to your local public weighbridge and weigh each axle separately and the complete vehicle. You will get a printed ticket with the weights shown.

Then contact,preferably in writing, the customer services of your particular tyre manufacturer giving details of the weighbridge ticket together with full details of the vehicle weight plate and the size and type of tyre fitted requesting the pressures.

They will give you the correct pressures and you will be able to show this to any official interested parties such as VOSA, police or insurance.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We should have a separate forum for tyre pressures!

I have been playing around with mine with the assistance of a Tyre Fitter in our local ATS. I now run at 55 front and 60 rear, much more comfort, less noise, consumption much the same and handling unchanged.

Rgds
Bill

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As far as I can see on my Fiat Ducato 2.3JTD LWB van the book and the plate says 5.5 bar (80 psi) all round, which is the tyre manufacturer's maximum. I was pumping them to lower than that, but now they're at full pressure it runs a lot more smoothly and there's less road noise too. No braking issues that I've noticed either. MHs are heavy vehicles in relation to their axle weight even before you put all your clobber, fuel, and water in them, so surely the tyres need to be well-inflated.

OP
OP
F
Aug 7, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
It looks as though my issue is a common one!

So, a bit more clarification please. I've found a good document on the web with a clear chart giving pressures based on the Load Index and tyre size.

Broken Link Removed

My question is (and I'm sorry if I seem dumb); it gives different pressures for different Axle Loads weights. Am I right in assuming that this the load per axle i.e. at the weighbridge my rear axle weighed 1560 and the overall weight of 3080, so is the front axle 1520? Hence, referring to the chart I should use the figure that is the next above 1560, so in my case this would be 44psi ? (it's the concept I need, I can re-weigh the fully wagon and adjust accordingly).

Incidenatlly, I have no tyre presser plaque on the door pillar. That would have been nice and easy! :)

Thanks for all your help.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

So, a bit more clarification please. I've found a good document on the web with a clear chart giving pressures based on the Load Index and tyre size.

Broken Link Removed

My question is (and I'm sorry if I seem dumb); it gives different pressures for different Axle Loads weights. Am I right in assuming that this the load per axle i.e. at the weighbridge my rear axle weighed 1560 and the overall weight of 3080, so is the front axle 1520? Hence, referring to the chart I should use the figure that is the next above 1560, so in my case this would be 44psi ? (it's the concept I need, I can re-weigh the fully wagon and adjust accordingly).

Incidenatlly, I have no tyre presser plaque on the door pillar. That would have been nice and easy! :)

so we agree then. :roflmto:

That is the same chart as in the downloads section here on fun.

I maintain those are the correct pressures for the given axle weights.
Obviously when the van is loaded to holiday weight the pressure needs increasing according to the new axle weights.

To me, 80psi on a 3500/3850kg van is too high.

My RV ,at 7500kg runs at 80psi all round on 245/75/19.5 tyres
Front axle is around 3000kg and the rear is around 4500kg on a twin wheel axle.....which accounts for just 80psi in the rears.

That's double your front axle weight and 3 times the rear axle weight..

Last edited:
May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
so we agree then. :roflmto:

That is the same chart as in the downloads section here on fun.

I maintain those are the correct pressures for the given axle weights.
Obviously when the van is loaded to holiday weight the pressure needs increasing according to the new axle weights.

To me, 80psi on a 3500/3850kg van is too high.

My RV ,at 7500kg runs at 80psi all round on 245/75/19.5 tyres
Front axle is around 3000kg and the rear is around 4500kg on a twin wheel axle.....which accounts for just 80psi in the rears.

That's double your front axle weight and 3 times the rear axle weight..

I've always thought that 80psi is too high on the rear axle, for my 3.5t van, but that is what is quoted in the handbook, and having had the vehicle weighed at a trading standards weighbridge, Michelin have quoted 80psi. on the rear So Hymer, the converter and Michelin, the tyre supplier, both agree - not a lot of room to argue.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've always thought that 80psi is too high on the rear axle, for my 3.5t van, but that is what is quoted in the handbook, and having had the vehicle weighed at a trading standards weighbridge, Michelin have quoted 80psi. on the rear So Hymer, the converter and Michelin, the tyre supplier, both agree - not a lot of room to argue.

I did read somewhere the tyre manufacturers are now quoting 80psi across the board to cover their own arses.

80 psi is the absolute maximum pressure the tyre can safely take and is not weight related

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I've just had a look at my tyres (VancoCamper 215/70 R15 CP 109)

The max pressure is stated on the tyre as 4.75 bar/69 PSI

Fiat suggest inflation pressure of 5.0 bar/73 PSI on the front and 5.5 bar/80 PSI on the rear

I too am confused.............which setting should I use :whatthe::Eeek:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I've just had a look at my tyres (VancoCamper 215/70 R15 CP 109)

The max pressure is stated on the tyre as 4.75 bar/69 PSI

Fiat suggest inflation pressure of 5.0 bar/73 PSI on the front and 5.5 bar/80 PSI on the rear

I too am confused.............which setting should I use :whatthe::Eeek:

I undestood the max pressure figure printed on tyres was for the US market. As my father used to say 'It's got laundry on't side of that bus but they don't take it in!

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The manual will give pressures for the tyres that are normally fitted by the manufacturer (in the case of Hymer this is mostly Fiat or Mercedes). The pressures enable you to run at the maximum loading allowed for the van (i.e. what you see on the Hymer weight plate). The brand of tyre is less of an issue than the specification. So long as the Khumo tyres are the same spec. as recommended by Hymer, the pressures stated in the manual should be relevant.
You can get an accurate pressure spec. by weighing the van (fully loaded) and contacting the tyre manufacturer with the axle loadings. In your case, the weights you have obtained are largely irrelevant as the van was not loaded, so of little use in determining tyre pressures. I would go by the Hymer/Fiat recommendation for your tyre spec. You are correct in saying that the whole weight minus the rear axle weight gives the front axle loading (so long as the van is weighed on the level - i.e. the weigh-bridge does not have a steep ramp on and off).
Final thought - if you run at more than 4.5 bar / 65 psi, the tyres should be fitted with high pressure, metal stemmed valves. The standard rubber valves are only rated by Schrader to 65 psi.

Last edited:
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have just spoken to a very helpful young lady in the Technical Department at Continental Tyres. She referred to their Data Sheet and based on the weights I gave her she suggested the following:

Front........... 3.5 bar (51 PSI)

Rear............3.25 bar (47 PSI)

Even fully loaded at Fiats max axle limits the data sheet that she sent me would still only recommend:

Front............3.5 Bar (51 PSI)

Rear.............4.25 Bar (62 PSI)

The difference in pressure between Fiat and Continental is hugh :whatthe::Eeek:

I have felt that the van does seem to ride a little harshly so I will try the 'new' pressures and see how it feels

:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe::Eeek:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi. I'm fairly new to the motorhoming world and I'm trying to clarify (once and for all) what the tyre pressures should be on my wagon. Our local tyre fitter wasn't sure and I didn't really get a precise answer from the dealer.

Vehicle:
Hymer 684CL Classic on a Ducato 2800 JTD, Year 2007.

Tyres:
Kumho Radial 857
215/75 SR 16C
113/111 R LT
(it states) Max Load Single 1150kg at 69 psi

From the weighbridge (full fuel but unladen):
Rear axle 1560
Whole 3080

From the manufacturer's weight plaque:
1 1850
2 2120

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry, but it has been said so many times before...Go and get your vehicle weighed at your local councils weight Bridge, make a note of the axle weights , ring up the tech' guy of your tyre Manufacture...they are duty bound to give you the correct pressures for your vehicle...try and get them to email those pressures:Cool:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Sorry, but it has been said so many times before...Go and get your vehicle weighed at your local councils weight Bridge, make a note of the axle weights , ring up the tech' guy of your tyre Manufacture...they are duty bound to give you the correct pressures for your vehicle...try and get them to email those pressures:Cool:

That is precisely what I have done (see above) :Doh:

My point is that the disparity in pressure recommended is shocking :Eeek:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
And for all those with Continental tyres there's a technical guide here:

Link Removed

page 91 under 8 ply, 109 load index, against FAS, RAS & RAT axle configurations.

Last edited:
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Oops, tried to upload the pdf she sent me but didn't work

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
An update on pressure

I have just spoken to a very helpful young lady in the Technical Department at Continental Tyres. She referred to their Data Sheet and based on the weights I gave her she suggested the following:

Front........... 3.5 bar (51 PSI)

Rear............3.25 bar (47 PSI)

Even fully loaded at Fiats max axle limits the data sheet that she sent me would still only recommend:

Front............3.5 Bar (51 PSI)

Rear.............4.25 Bar (62 PSI)

The difference in pressure between Fiat and Continental is huge :whatthe::Eeek:

I have felt that the van does seem to ride a little harshly so I will try the 'new' pressures and see how it feels

:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe::Eeek:

I thought I would share my experience with the forum. In September I bit the bullet and changed the tyre pressures to 55 psi front and 60 psi rear. Since then we have driven over 3000 miles.

The 'ride' is smoother and more comfortable. It no longer feels as if we bump and bounce along the road as it did before.

MPG has not been affected.

I have used these tyre pressures for all loads and the result is very good. I will keep using these 'lower' pressures.

:Smile::Smile::Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
according to those weights and using the tyre pressure chart download in the resources section on here the pressures should be 42 all round :Eeek:

I used to run my 3850kg kontiki at 52front and 60/62 rear

I thought I would share my experience with the forum. In September I bit the bullet and changed the tyre pressures to 55 psi front and 60 psi rear. Since then we have driven over 3000 miles.

The 'ride' is smoother and more comfortable. It no longer feels as if we bump and bounce along the road as it did before.

MPG has not been affected.

I have used these tyre pressures for all loads and the result is very good. I will keep using these 'lower' pressures.

:Smile::Smile::Smile:

close enough to what I said on page one. :Doh:

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

http://www.motorcaravanning.com/tyresafe_mh_tyres_08.pdf

great info

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back