Overnight being allowed in Devon car parks (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Good stuff. I hope others will follow.

Having just got back from a lovely 10 days around Devon and Cornwall, we found that Devon was quite MH-friendly.

We parked up in a fabulous little bay - pay and display car park £6 for overnight.

And in Bideford, pay and display car park sign informed motorhomers that if they want to overnight, please leave a 6m gap between you and other MHs.

By comparison, places we've previously parked up in in Cornwall have since last year gained shiny new No Camping signs, or the new one is no motorhomes between 11pm and 8am.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
And the layby at Marazion opp. St Micheals Mount, where "Freedom Campers" used to park up for weeks on end, is now a PAVEMENT:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
And the layby at Marazion opp. St Micheals Mount, where "Freedom Campers" used to park up for weeks on end, is now a PAVEMENT:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I am quite pleased about this, as that spot is the subject of a long-term wager between myself and the missus which involves me, a pair of budgie smugglers, and a Hoff-like dash from van into the sea....

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
"We hope this will bring extra business into the area because people in motor homes are usually reasonably well off.

Obviously he doesn't know how much motorhomes cost:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Slapton Sands, south Devon

Has anyone ever stayed overnight in the car park at Slapton Sands, south Devon? It's years since we've visited the area, but are thinking of going back in September.

Just wondered because the Start Bay Inn used to be the best place in the area for the tastiest fish and chips:thumb:
Bill

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Shark at Slapton Sands

:Eeek:
On second thoughts, maybe not...........

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV41k8KD6PM"]Shark at Slapton Sands Devon - YouTube[/ame]

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Has anyone ever stayed overnight in the car park at Slapton Sands, south Devon? It's years since we've visited the area, but are thinking of going back in September.

Just wondered because the Start Bay Inn used to be the best place in the area for the tastiest fish and chips:thumb:
Bill

We were in Slapton last week, although at the C&CC site (highly recommended btw).

On our way out, we stopped at the 'tank' car park with the intention of looking at the tank and sitting in the bird hide with the bins for a while (lovely Great Crested Grebes) and lunching in the Start Bay Inn before starting for home. Within about 15 mins of arriving we were moved on by a traffic warden who was about to issue us a ticket :Angry:. Apparently we were too big (even tho I had got 2 tickets). She advised moving down to the memorial car park and motorhomes must use the gravel bit.

Which we dutifully did; got the bikes down, and cycling back down to Start Bay. Had an amazing crab platter from the Inn :thumb:

I did check put the parking restrictions in the Memorial car park, I seem to remember the sign saying 'overnight parking from 18:00-08:00' but also 'no overnight sleeping'.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
"I have never had a customer who doesn't want to use electricity, so I am not sure how many will want to stay overnight in a car park if they don't have access to water or electric."

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
"I have never had a customer who doesn't want to use electricity, so I am not sure how many will want to stay overnight in a car park if they don't have access to water or electric."

We don't need electric as we have converted everything to run on 12v or gas. However if the charge for a pitch includes EHU we use it to charge up the batteries and run the fridge on mains.

The last site we were on we used 75p worth of electric in 24 hrs. The pitches were all metered.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

I think many would want to spend an overnight in a suitable car park without electricity, providing the location was ok. Lots of people will wild camp for days without electricity. We'd have enough water and gas for a short stopover. Not a problem for the tv/satellite as they both power from the leisure battery:Smile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You misunderstand me!

I laughed at the complete ignorance of motorhomer's needs demonstrated by the quoted 'campsite owner'!
Of course we would manage OK without leccy!::bigsmile:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
this is the view you would have if you did stop at Appledore ...carpark on harbour ...toilet block also £5

Last edited:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
i give up photos are not up loading :Doh:

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Well spotted Steve,

Do you get the Barnstaple Times in Benidorm now???

Graham

Graham, like to keep my finger on the pulse, especially when i can get the free wifi off the hotel over the road, hanging off my balcony to get a few inches closer is a problem.. :RollEyes:

Its a post I read via the MCC. facebook Page, did not look at it ref date so sorry if its old news... :Doh:

Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Its for 2014 but a good start... :thumb:

We stayed overnight recently at the car park in Westward Ho! whilst visiting friends and we felt perfectly safe and sound. The car park is right next to all the shops including a Co-op and a post office for cash withdrawals.
Its quite telling with the quote from the link you gave, as we spent over £30 on food shopping and treated ourselves to lunch in the lovely cafe next door to the supermarket.:Smile:

"We hope this will bring extra business into the area because people in motor homes are usually reasonably well off. By using a car park for a night they will likely spend in shops and restaurants."

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's worth noting that the facility at Torridge - just like Lytham, Ireland &c - have come about because committed people have put in the effort to contact and negotiate with the council. Well done to those people.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I notice in the 'this is Devon' report they quote Councillor Geoff Lee as the man dealing with overnight parking in car parks. I thought maybe I would drop him an email to say 'well done' but it appears that he has resigned according to the Torridge council website. Shame.

Just spotted this list of motorhome friendly carparks in Torridge area.

Paul

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back