Fiamma Level Maxi Ramps (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We bought a pair of these items last year and initially were happy with them. They gave us enough adjustment to get the MH level easily and they are shaped so that the wheels sit in a curved part and are held firm.

After about three months of use they started to show signs of crushing, but still did the job. A few weeks ago we were at a steam rally and one of the ramps cracked between the first and second levels, but only on one side. A week ago, while setting up at Pickering steam rally, it cracked again, this time down the other side, but held together. When I moved off the ramps at the end of the rally the it split completely in two.

Because I liked the amount of height they gave I decided to replace them, thinking that it was probably rough ground that had caused the failure. When I looked on the Johns Cross website they could not be found, so I checked Fiamma's web site for them. They are now not listed by Fiamma, so I rang Johns Cross to see if they had them in stock. It would appear they have been discontinued. I wonder if this is anything to do with the fact that they snap in half ?

I have now ordered a pair of Milenco Quattro Levels from Johns Cross, so lets hope that they last a bit longer than the Fiamma ones did. I will keep the odd Fiamma one which will do to level up in my drive.

Last edited:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We had 2 lots of fiamma levels, both sets broke, now on to the milenco Quattro, even one of them broke, perhaps because Terry drove over the top of it, not to be advised, got out of that unscathed thankfully

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
We had 2 lots of fiamma levels, both sets broke, now on to the milenco Quattro, even one of them broke, perhaps because Terry drove over the top of it, not to be advised, got out of that unscathed thankfully

Maybe it's just that they aren't strong enough to spread the load over uneven ground ?

Time will tell. Might have to resort to making some of my own :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
several good seasons use out of our millenco quattros and they are still going strong

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Without mentioning any names, the van parked next to us at Portugal had the very same problem with a brand new set of fiamma, they completely broke in half.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Without mentioning any names, the van parked next to us at Portugal had the very same problem with a brand new set of fiamma, they completely broke in half.

Seems like it is/was a definite problem with them. :Angry:

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
If they were under a year old I would of taken them back for a refund
'NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE'

Funnily enough I am searching for the receipt as I can't remember exactly how old they are. I am sure I bought them from Johns Cross, which would have been by phone or on line, but can't be certain. If I can't find it then I am out of luck I guess.

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
we have the same problem with ours both are split in several places.
I have noticed thule [omnistor] are doing a set in black very similar to the fiama set.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

i use 4 milenco caravan levelrs when i park up slip them under each weel and level at your own pace been using then this year no problem
take weight with drill [as caravan] then manually with spaner suplied:Eeek:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Fiamma

We have bought a fair bit of Fiamma stuff but it has all been slightly or totally disappointing.

We don't buy their stuff anymore

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
In June last year I replaced broken Fiamma ramps that were quite old, with Thule, mainly because the Thule came with a nice storage bag!.

May this year both Thule ramps broke on some softish ground. As I bought them in Sweden it was difficult to take them back.

I am well within the stated weight limits!

So I now have milenco, I went for the triple as I thought this big enough and not quite so large / heavy to store. - we'll see what happens!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Oh bu**er. I just bought a used pair of Fiamma ramps! Still, they only cost me a rennet, look quite well used and no signs of cracking....yet
Allan

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Hi, We have had Fiamma ramps quite a few years, before we first used them I bolted a piece of 1/2" ply.. the same width but 3" longer. Used 2 bolts, one at the front one at the back. The object was to drive on the Ply first (which stopped the ramp slipping) then progressed up the ramps till level. I think the Ply has helped to stabalise the ramp and evened the weight, plus ideal if on hard standing.
What ever! they are about five years old and still in good nick!
Best Regards Mac

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We had yellow Fiamma 3-level ramps until their sides split, as it were.

So we dispensed with them at the end of last years outings, ie November - and started with new Millenco Quattros in March this year.

The Fiammas had been in use for 3 and a half years and we thought probably because of the 'honeycomb' construction of the base, if you use them on stony ground, eg quite a number of French aires ! - this caused too much/uneven stress and strain. The base of the MQs is completely flat with just a couple of drainage holes so we thought this should aid the weight distribution. Time will tell no doubt !

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We bought a pair of these items last year and initially were happy with them. They gave us enough adjustment to get the MH level easily and they are shaped so that the wheels sit in a curved part and are held firm.

After about three months of use they started to show signs of crushing, but still did the job. A few weeks ago we were at a steam rally and one of the ramps cracked between the first and second levels, but only on one side. A week ago, while setting up at Pickering steam rally, it cracked again, this time down the other side, but held together. When I moved off the ramps at the end of the rally the it split completely in two.

Because I liked the amount of height they gave I decided to replace them, thinking that it was probably rough ground that had caused the failure. When I looked on the Johns Cross website they could not be found, so I checked Fiamma's web site for them. They are now not listed by Fiamma, so I rang Johns Cross to see if they had them in stock. It would appear they have been discontinued. I wonder if this is anything to do with the fact that they snap in half ?

I have now ordered a pair of Milenco Quattro Levels from Johns Cross, so lets hope that they last a bit longer than the Fiamma ones did. I will keep the odd Fiamma one which will do to level up in my drive.

We have been using our set of Millenco Quattros for just under 3 years now, they're very sturdy and not showing any signs of wear. Hopefully they will continue to give good service when we change to the Autotrail in a couple of weeks. I noticed a small set of yellow ramps in one of the Autotrail lockers, I'm assuming that these are the Fiamma ones....but think we'll continue to use our Millenco ones as they look a lot more substantial.

Bill

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Hi, We have had Fiamma ramps quite a few years, before we first used them I bolted a piece of 1/2" ply.. the same width but 3" longer. Used 2 bolts, one at the front one at the back. The object was to drive on the Ply first (which stopped the ramp slipping) then progressed up the ramps till level. I think the Ply has helped to stabalise the ramp and evened the weight, plus ideal if on hard standing.
What ever! they are about five years old and still in good nick!
Best Regards Mac

If they are the yellow ones they are no problem, we have a pair. It is the large black ones that have broken, but I was thinking of doing something similar myself. Too late now :Doh:

We have been using our set of Millenco Quattros for just under 3 years now, they're very sturdy and not showing any signs of wear. Hopefully they will continue to give good service when we change to the Autotrail in a couple of weeks. I noticed a small set of yellow ramps in one of the Autotrail lockers, I'm assuming that these are the Fiamma ones....but think we'll continue to use our Millenco ones as they look a lot more substantial.

Bill

The Fiamma ones that failed give the same amount of height as the Quattros but with three steps up instead of four and they are black. As I said above, the yellow (smaller) ones have been no problem. :thumb:

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I have been doing a search for the Fiamma Level Maxi and it appears that they have been replaced with the Jumbo. This is a large version of the familiar yellow ones, but in black.
The maximum height is now only 14cm, compared with the Milenco Quattro at 16cm. 2cm can make all the difference you know :winky:
There is £10.71 off the list price at Johns Cross at the moment, plus Funster discount, of course. ::bigsmile:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I bet Fiamma bought a supply from China, they look Ok but it would appear that they have much to learn on grades of plastic and polyprops and even metal grades for that matter, as for Chinese socks forget it.

Aug 4, 2009
Saltdean, Brighton
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
22 years
Millenco Quatro Levellers

We are on our third set of Millenco's in 3 years. It seems if you have any wheel spin whilst going up the ramp the grips on the leveller sheer off! I have read on previous threads similar problems. Our vehicle is 4 tons so maybe not quite fit for purpose! I too looked at Fiamma Jumbo Levellers in desperation only to be told 'discontinued'. There seems to be a gap in the market for levellers that do the job. Millenco levellers are not cheap. I seem to remember seeing somewhere that they squirt a stiro-foam into the recessed sections to try and give extra support whilst not adding extra weight to an already heavy set of levels! Maybe if used throughout the year in very cold temperatures they become brittle. I am sure they serve their purpose to many people but NOT ME! I will have to get my fourth set as I see no alternative . . . please don't tell me to bang some bits of wood together!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back