Aug 5, 2013
Vereeniging, South Africa
Funster No
MH
Sprinter Campervan
Exp
3 (caravaning 30 years)
Hi.

I'm a new member to your Forum and I'm from South Africa.

I would like to learn from all you people and see how you do your camping, compare to us in South Africa.

We were camping with a caravan for about 30 years and about 3 years ago I bought a old Taxi (Mercedes Sprinter 412) and it took me about 14 months to convert it into a campervan for 2 people.

We camp 1 weekend per month and 2 longer camps during June and December holidays.

It would be nice to chat with members on this Forum.

Harry & Yvonne

P.S.
Sorry about spelling & grammer, my first language is Afrikaans

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and welcome.

I have visited South Africa a couple of times and loved what I saw. There must be some amazing places to camp.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
welcome to motorhome Fun, I am sure that we will be interested how you're camping goes on in Africa as well must be a wonderful country to explore ::flyingwelcome:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Froggy en welkom.

I dont think camping in South Africa is much different to here in the UK.

i had a few weeks tent camping on the Garden Route between Cape town and Port Elizabeth a few years ago and from memory, of which i have many, your campsites were very much the same as ours....except much warmer :roflmto:

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Welcome Froggy:thumb: I have also camped in Africa, somewhere between Randburg and Sun City (long drive:Sad:) but worth it:Smile: I remember waking up and seeing an Ostrich wandering round my tent:Eeek: it doesn't happen so much here:ROFLMAO: Enjoy the Fun.

:Cool:Rob&Jane:Cool:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome Froggy!

Great to have a new Funster from the southern hemisphere!:thumb:

I would guess the first difference you will find is that when camping in Europe, a gun is only an optional extra!::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Froggy

Froggy

Free Member
Aug 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
Sprinter Campervan
Exp
3 (caravaning 30 years)
Welcome Froggy!

Great to have a new Funster from the southern hemisphere!:thumb:

I would guess the first difference you will find is that when camping in Europe, a gun is only an optional extra!::bigsmile:

It is funny the camping sites are the only real save places where you dont need a gun. :Smile: Their security is normaly very high. Electric fencing, guards, etc.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It is funny the camping sites are the only real save places where you dont need a gun. :Smile: Their security is normaly very high. Electric fencing, guards, etc.

things have certainly changed over the years.

the camp sites i used were very 'open plan' with just a regular fence, gate and no (visible) security.

but i believe the country in general has become more 'dangerous' and security conscious over the last 20 years....though car-jacking and taxi-war was rife.

real shame as i loved the country as it was.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi froggy,welcome to the place of interest, and enjoy ya traveling down there:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
only one free post left froggy....after that you become a 'read only' member. :Sad:

if you want to subscribe i believe you can pay via paypal which will of course convert rand to pounds.

cost would be around 150 rand per year.

Jeez, thats changed a bit as well.......i was getting around 5 rand to the pound. :Eeek:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi fogy and welcome my first language is English and I can’t spell in it ether:ROFLMAO: let alone try Africans have fun be safe

OP
OP
Froggy

Froggy

Free Member
Aug 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
Sprinter Campervan
Exp
3 (caravaning 30 years)
only one free post left froggy....after that you become a 'read only' member. :Sad:

if you want to subscribe i believe you can pay via paypal which will of course convert rand to pounds.

cost would be around 150 rand per year.

Jeez, thats changed a bit as well.......i was getting around 5 rand to the pound. :Eeek:

Hi PappaJohn.

I do not want to become a "read only" member. It seems that there can be some FUN on this Forum "lekker" fun (a Afrikaans word)

I will see if I can get somebody in the UK to transfer the 10£ you need for me to stay a active member and then fix-up with them for the payment from this side.

I do not use a credit card and do not know any thing about Pay Pal.

Will keep "uncle" up to date with my UK deal.

Standby

Harry.

P.S.
I know this is my last post for a while, till I get my 10£ in you acount.
10-4 Till later
Enjoy your camping

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Howzit Froggy - from another South African! I'm from Natal, between Durban and Pietermaritzburg, but now living in the UK. Saw loads of motorhomes when in the Kruger Park over Easter - seems the lifestyle is catching on over there!

Hope you manage to sort out your £10.00!

Enjoy!

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi and welcome

I grew up in SA Pietermaritzburg in fact it was the old Jurgens Autovilla that got me wanting a motorhome

Cheers
Gary

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
[FONT=&quot]Hi good to see you back have fun on the best forum on the planet we love it so friendly with some witty banter :thumb:
[/FONT]

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome
we also dont have to watch out for any nasty creepy crawlies (spiders etc) or snakes

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Froggy

Welcome Froggy. South Africa is one of my favourite countries and I have some lovely South African friends. I know you have your problems but so do we. Nowhere is perfect. Enjoy the forums.

pollensabob

Free Member
Jan 30, 2008
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
7 years
Hi Froggy welcome to Fun, yes I have got many fond memories of SA my family lived in Richmond and latterly Howick Natal, moved there from Kenya in 1966.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back