Hard Drive v SSD disk (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Yup, I put one in my old Core Duo 2 laptop. Made it usable again.
It has a Sata 1 interface so dog slow. Actually useable now well worth the money.:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Replaced the stock hard drive in my Mac Book Pro with an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD. Now it flies!

Needed various torx screwdrivers to do it but it was very straight forward.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any benefits?

There is a potential problem - life.

The flash memory in them has a finite number of writes, it can be millions, but if the computer uses the SSHD as extended RAM those writes could soon add up.

At least ask the question before buying.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Not in a lappy, but in the desktop.....boots up bootifully fast...like less than 20 seconds from switch-on to fully operational on Win7 Pro

Most programs are on another drive, only the OS and a few others are on the SSD

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Brian is dead right. Worth checking (especially if you don't have enough RAM and your computer is paging all the time) but most modern SSDs allow a lot of writes, have wear levelling which prevents individual cells being used significantly more than others and have spare blocks for use when cells do start dying.

Link Removed

I suspect hard disk drives are one of the major factors in laptop death. They are highly sensitive moving parts and don't like being dropped. SSDs do not care so much about this.

Lastly... when a hard drive dies it's typically a catastrophic failure resulting in data loss (from personal experience). When an SSD is nearing the end of its life according to JEDEC it will appear full (not allowing you to write) but should allow you to read, so you don't lose data, if this actually happens or not is another story!

Bottom line for me: I couldn't live without an SSD and in any case I replace my PCs after 5 years typically, so the limited life is acceptable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There is a potential problem - life.

The flash memory in them has a finite number of writes, it can be millions, but if the computer uses the SSHD as extended RAM those writes could soon add up.

At least ask the question before buying.

Very True, but if your computer is hitting the hard drive swap file a better upgrade would be memory..

I recommend a minimum of 4GB for Windows 7. I don't have any hits on my swap file with that much memory.

If you have 4GB or more then the SSD is next best upgrade.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back