Do I really need a spare wheel? (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I, like a lot of people, have to watch just how much stuff I put in the Motorhome as I may end up over weight. So my question is, as I am very unlikely to change a wheel if it was to go flat - I would call a man that would - do I need to carry a spare wheel? It weighs quite a bit and if I left it off I could put other things into the Motorhome .........or is that not a good idea?

Interested in your thoughts :Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Check your chosen recovery service small print, used to say, no spare = no service.
These days a lot of cars have no spare, only a useless repair can, so things may have changed or maybe NOT:Eeek:

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Check your chosen recovery service small print, used to say, no spare = no service.
These days a lot of cars have no spare, only a useless repair can, so things may have changed or maybe NOT:Eeek:

Yes that's a point, should have put that I am with ADAC, papers are at home, perhaps somebody that has same company will know.

Of course I realise that it may well mean that I have to buy a new tyre, but I would have to buy one to replace the spare in any case.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yes.

Unless you want to turn a minor glitch into a disaster.

Puncture - fit spare - go.

Puncture - phone ADAC - wait - remove tyre - take to tyre fitter when open - buy new tyre - return - fit - go.

You choose.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I have to say I'd hate not to have a spare, whoever ends up fitting it.

It seems completely wrong that vehicles can be supplied without. I'm sure it used to be illegal to sell a vehicle without a spare. Has that changed? Or was I misinformed?

Wyn

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
No spare is a little insane to say the least. The so called puncture repair solution is now supposed to be a possible cause of cancer and a lot of tyre repair companies are refusing to repair them on instructions from there insurers.
I would not like to have a 4 ton motorhome stuck anywhere waiting for a tyre, it has happened in the past. I load my van with essentials then take it from there. We used to carry all manor of stuff but most of it was never used. Now, after 28 years we travel light and create more space for wine from France.
Please don't compromise on your spare wheel, you may regret it big time.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Not only do I carry a spare tyre on a rim, when outside the UK I carry a spare tyre casing on the roof as well. The reasoning behind this is that I can shop around for the best price deal on a tyre when at home but not when am stuck at the side of the road in Europe. I have been at the mercy of a French tyre company once. Never again :Eeek:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have a spare wheel on mine and full instructions on how to change it. Like a Boy Scout, I like to be prepared, so, as soon as I got the van, I thought I would do a dummy run
But, I have no idea how to get the spare off the mounting!
Allan

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as a matter of interest in spain .if you read instruction 08/v-74 ,,section 5 .equipment . it is a legal requirement to carry a spare and tools to change the wheel or a means of guarantee of keeping the vehicle mobile .

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I have removed the spare from under our Wagon and put it in the Locker. The last thing I want to be doing is grovelling around underneath, trying to get the spare off the mount:Angry:

And yes I realise I will have to empty the Locker to get it out,

BUT'

I'll have to anyway cause the bloody nuts that lower the spare mount to the ground, are only accessed from inside the Locker:Doh:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
if you are that close to your maximium weight limit, that you are considering losing the spare wheel for the weight, then I would seriously consider have you got the right van or are you transporting too much stuff.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I have removed the spare from under our Wagon and put it in the Locker. The last thing I want to be doing is grovelling around underneath, trying to get the spare off the mount:Angry:

And yes I realise I will have to empty the Locker to get it out,

BUT'

I'll have to anyway cause the bloody nuts that lower the spare mount to the ground, are only accessed from inside the Locker:Doh:

good idea we stopped to offer assitance to a motorhome with a puncture in france he had a spare but could jack high enough to get it off the underslung holder

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Spare wheel carrier

My Tribute T620 does not have a spare wheel as standard, so when I needed one for Morocco this year (flat tyre in desert, no spare? No thanks!) I found that my fiamma cycle rack had a payload of 60kg and an eBay spare wheel and tyre weighed 30kg. Problem solved - especially with a fold up bike under the table!

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I do carry a spare and will continue to have it on the MH, it was a question asked just to see what you guys thought, ...........and now I know:Smile::thumb:

Oh and no I am not that close to my top weight.

But when people say " we'll if you are that close to your weight, you should think about another MH", it seems the obvious thing to do..... But, although I had a Winnebago and spent time as a HGV driver, I have to consider this, I am over 70 years young, I have to have a medical ever 2 years to be able to drive a vehicle over the weight of 3.5 ton, so I go get a bigger MH and spend £ 10 to 50 k only to find that in less than 2 years I have to sell it cos the doctor won't pass me for HGV ( over 3.5 ton). I think that most would agree that it could be a VERY expensive way to go!

So some things are a tad harder, and not as simple as them there youngsters would hint that it is ::bigsmile:

Thanks for your input guys:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But, I have no idea how to get the spare off the mounting!
Allan

Our Ducato is horrendous.

Crawl underneath, using a spanner on two nuts, lower the carrier, supporting the weight of the wheel with one hand, unhook these two nuts. Slide out if lucky, if not jack the back up a bit to get clearance.

Not for the feint hearted.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
again its a personal choice thing :Eeek: many motorhomes do not have spares but have a can of gooooo to pump into the tyre if punctured. most damage is done to tyres in the distance travelled after the puncture to a safe haven / side of the road, the side walls ca\n be affected if driven any distance.

our motorhome has no spare and i choose not to reduce my payload by adding one. however i have had puncture safe pumped into the tyres at £11 a tyre. Allegedly, well the demo i watched before buying saw a van drive over a plack of 6 x 4" nails and the tyre lost only minimal pressure as the punctures were sealed almost instantly. no repair is needed to the tyre as the solution fully seals any puncture hole.

there are of course limits to the number of punctures in any tyre and any cuts in the side walls above the tread will not be sealed.

had it in for over 8000 miles now.

its all down too how you want to manage your risks. some of us will sleep better knowing theres a spare wheel available ( even if you need to be Hudeni to replace it , others of us take other actions to reduce risks. your choice. :Doh:

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have had many punctures in small vans and motorhomes, mainly because I tend to venture off the beaten track. One thing I have found is that by the time you know you have a puncture in a motorhome the tyre is often beyond repair. The time it takes for a tyre to slowly deflate enough for you to feel it, the sidewall is beyond repair, so a tin of goo is not going to be much use. I have been in a situation in France where I have had to pay a grossly inflated price for a tyre which does not match the rest just because my spare was unserviceable. The tyre companies know you are not going to be a return customer and what are you going to do about it stuck at the side of the road with no way of getting a replacement spare. I presume those that don't carry a spare have not much idea of callout charges made by European tyre companies.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Have had many punctures in small vans and motorhomes, mainly because I tend to venture off the beaten track. One thing I have found is that[HI] by the time you know you have a puncture in a motorhome the tyre is often beyond repair. The time it takes for a tyre to slowly deflate enough for you to feel it, the sidewall is beyond repair, so a tin of goo is not going to be much use. [/HI]I have been in a situation in France where I have had to pay a grossly inflated price for a tyre which does not match the rest just because my spare was unserviceable. The tyre companies know you are not going to be a return customer and what are you going to do about it stuck at the side of the road with no way of getting a replacement spare. I presume those that don't carry a spare have not much idea of callout charges made by European tyre companies.

totally agree..:thumb: thats why i had the puncture safe pumped into my tyres. it prevents this for a starter and also seals the puncture without you even noticing. tyre wall damage is another thing:Eeek:

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
again its a personal choice thing :Eeek: many motorhomes do not have spares but have a can of gooooo to pump into the tyre if punctured. most damage is done to tyres in the distance travelled after the puncture to a safe haven / side of the road, the side walls ca\n be affected if driven any distance.

our motorhome has no spare and i choose not to reduce my payload by adding one. however i have had puncture safe pumped into the tyres at £11 a tyre. Allegedly, well the demo i watched before buying saw a van drive over a plack of 6 x 4" nails and the tyre lost only minimal pressure as the punctures were sealed almost instantly. no repair is needed to the tyre as the solution fully seals any puncture hole.

there are of course limits to the number of punctures in any tyre and any cuts in the side walls above the tread will not be sealed.

had it in for over 8000 miles now.

its all down too how you want to manage your risks. some of us will sleep better knowing theres a spare wheel available ( even if you need to be Hudeni to replace it , others of us take other actions to reduce risks. your choice. :Doh:

Mmmmmm, interesting, I like the idea, but do you have to inform the insurance company? Just a thought as you have changed something on the vehicle away from standard and you know how insurance companies can be if you add or change your vehicle.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i am with comfort insurance and when i took it out i mentioned i had puncturesafe in my tyres. they simply said thats ok. whether that would be an issue if i had a major claim will remain unknown "i hope":Smile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You will not need your spare wheel...

...as long as you are carrying one and you keep it pumped up

However...

Remove it and leave it at home and you WILL need it.

I am not saying it is right... I am just saying it is the way it is...

I didn't invent Sod's Law... I just heard all about it.

JJ :Cool:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
totally agree..:thumb: thats why i had the puncture safe pumped into my tyres. it prevents this for a starter and also seals the puncture without you even noticing. tyre wall damage is another thing:Eeek:

After many years of owning trucks, sitting for hours at the side of the road waiting for the tyre man to come out, :Doh: selling me the worst tyre possible and charging the earth for it. :RollEyes::cry:
I would not be without a spare wheel. ::bigsmile:

We had puncher safe in the last van and car trailer that had spare wheels and the Smart car that never had a spare.
Last trip in Spain we noticed Jims tyre things flashing one night. :whatthe:

These: Link Removed Well worth having. :thumb:

And tried to pump it up, and noticed the tyre was damaged on the inner wall, put the spare on, and after a visit to the tyre place we got the tyres we wanted fitted.
And not some rubbish that nobody wants. :thumb: Bob.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have said that side wall damage will not be sorted by anything except a new tyre.

i have set of Jim's tyre thingies fitted and are excellent. :thumb:

i am not saying puncture safe is the holly grail just an alternative if you dont have a spare wheel and either dont have, or dont want to give up, any payload.

i sleep easier knowing that i have "some " puncture protection ( if thats the correct description ), i agree a spare wheel is undoubtedly belt and bracers but at least i am more secure than just the standard issue goooo after the puncture.

personal choice is a wonderful thing :thumb:

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
My Auto sleeper Surrey doesn't have a spare, I asked Auto sleeper if it was possible to fit one, quoted £1500 + VAT :Eeek:to move water tank, replace with smaller one and fit carrier and wheel. Needless to say I still don't have a spare.

hextal

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van
Exp
I just built a bracket for the rear door of the van im converting a slung the spare on that. can't have cost more than 30 quid and it will take the weight of the wheel; a pair if 15kg waffle boards and an 11 stone eejit bouncing on it to test it.

Spare wheel plus jack is circa 30kg from memory so not massive in the grand scale of things. unless your wild camping could you just drain down the water tanks to offset this.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We haven't a spare, so I will argue for NOT having one, although I wish we did!::bigsmile:

I think for those of us who want to save weight, preventative measures are best observed. I check the condition and pressure of our tyres regularly. I spotted cracking on our 5 year old Pirellis recently. They were all changed, no questions asked, in the interests of our safety. Good tyres do not blow out except in exceptional circumstances. Fix and go gunge will address any slow deflation.

I am sure there are many who only rely on an annual MOT for tyre inspection...........

On my work vans I have only had one blowout in 300 000+ miles.

Does that not make it safer not to rely on a spare?:winky:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Our spare is on a rack over the engine - lower 'bonnet' and slide wheel out, no probs. :Smile:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our Ducato is horrendous.

Crawl underneath, using a spanner on two nuts, lower the carrier, supporting the weight of the wheel with one hand, unhook these two nuts. Slide out if lucky, if not jack the back up a bit to get clearance.

Not for the feint hearted.

Mines a Peugeot and to remove the spare wheel I use the jack handle to operate a remote winder that lowers the wheel to the ground.
Simple so far
But, I just cannot figure out how I get the actual wheel off the bracket. The handbook just tells you to remove it but not how!
I suspect I should have another go, unless someone here knows how it's done?
Allan

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Mines a Peugeot and to remove the spare wheel I use the jack handle to operate a remote winder that lowers the wheel to the ground.
Simple so far
But, I just cannot figure out how I get the actual wheel off the bracket. The handbook just tells you to remove it but not how!
I suspect I should have another go, unless someone here knows how it's done?
Allan

and thats with all 4 tyres inflated... what would it be like with one rear tyre deflated balanced on a jack...:Eeek:

then u got to get the old one back in the cradle :Doh:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Tyre

Hi

I have a long story to tell, so will bullet point it here to simplify it.

1) Motorhome on a campsite and discovered I had a flat tyre. I did not have a spare on board but had a Fix n Go kit.
2) Called Camper Assist who said as it was not a warranty item, they would not assist
3) Called Camper Assist again after checking T's and C's of policy. Agent was deployed (RAC)
4) RAC arrived and advised they could not assist! (They sent a huge breakdown lorry and offered to recover me to a garage)
5) RAC man said "I know a man who can" and will arrange him to come here.
6) Tyre firm turned up. Jack supplied with the motorhome not man enough for the job so a bottle jack was used. He took the tyre away, repaired it and brought it back

The above took several hours to resolve.

Also, a Fix n Go kit is as much use as a pound of tripe in the event of a blowout. Think - blowout, middle of nowhere, poor signal on mobile etc.

I now have a tyre and a Fix n Go kit.

Russell

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back