Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Reading the compass motorhome manual it says:

2.3Bicycle Racks Fitting a bicycle rack to the rear panel of a motorhome will affect how weight is distributed. There are restraints to be aware of with such fitments. We would advise you to carry a maximum of 75kgs on the bicycle rack provided this does not exceed the bicycle racks own weight limit. The motorhome must also be balanced to take into account the new weight distribution. Weight must be distributed evenly. Bicycle racks are not standard fit or supplied as an optional extra by The Explorer Group. Explorer cannot be 3 held responsible for problems related to a bicycle rack fitted by a third party. A copy of the rear panel drawing must be obtained from The Explorer Group to ensure correct fixing points are located.

This implies that the panel is strengthened already. A call to Explorer group may get you the answer you are looking for.

Lunarman

If you don't have the manual you can download it from here http://www.elddis.co.uk/why-choose-elddis/brochure-downloads?archive=1

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have no experience of that Fiamma kit, but it IS more or less how I fitted my rack on my mh.

I used a length of extruded ally on the outside that spreads the weight across the two internal beams on the bottom fixing, and inside on the top fixings a piece that goes right across the inside of the van ( I am, I know, fortunate in that we have a bunk bed right across the back so it was a very easy job to do ).

For me, the total cost was about £12.90 including bolts !

OP
OP
G

grymbo

Free Member
Jul 30, 2013
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Avangarde 150
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Lunarman reply.

Reading the compass motorhome manual it says:

2.3Bicycle Racks Fitting a bicycle rack to the rear panel of a motorhome will affect how weight is distributed. There are restraints to be aware of with such fitments. We would advise you to carry a maximum of 75kgs on the bicycle rack provided this does not exceed the bicycle racks own weight limit. The motorhome must also be balanced to take into account the new weight distribution. Weight must be distributed evenly. Bicycle racks are not standard fit or supplied as an optional extra by The Explorer Group. Explorer cannot be 3 held responsible for problems related to a bicycle rack fitted by a third party. A copy of the rear panel drawing must be obtained from The Explorer Group to ensure correct fixing points are located.

This implies that the panel is strengthened already. A call to Explorer group may get you the answer you are looking for.

Lunarman

If you don't have the manual you can download it from here http://www.elddis.co.uk/why-choose-elddis/brochure-downloads?archive=1

Thanks for the information. I do in fact have the manual but as I'm sure you know, the rear wall plan is not included and can only be obtained from Elddis via a retailer (this information is not given to private individuals Elddis informed me).
My problem is is that it was a private sale complicated by the fact the retailer has ceased trading. Elddis advised that any retailer of their vehicles would be happy to oblige. I'm sure they would if there was a job in it for them. It may well be that's the way I'll go but I know I could do the job myself armed with this information.:thanks:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks for the information. I do in fact have the manual but as I'm sure you know, the rear wall plan is not included and can only be obtained from Elddis via a retailer (this information is not given to private individuals Elddis informed me).
My problem is is that it was a private sale complicated by the fact the retailer has ceased trading. Elddis advised that any retailer of their vehicles would be happy to oblige. I'm sure they would if there was a job in it for them. It may well be that's the way I'll go but I know I could do the job myself armed with this information.:thanks:

Well if you want I can give you the measurements off mine, but honestly I wouldn't trust it, the bikes on it must flex it 2 inches or more.

OP
OP
G

grymbo

Free Member
Jul 30, 2013
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Avangarde 150
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Caser reply.

A 2 inch flex would concern me however...had a conversation with a chap who works in a caravan/motorhome centre in Dumfries. He was of the opinion that the horizontal timbers in the window area extended from the corner vertical timbers only to the beginning of the window frame on either side, not as I would have thought, all the way underneath it (if you follow me thus far).
If that's the case, that would explain the flex (having looked again at the pics you so kindly provided).
I'm thinking then (in the absence of concrete information) the fixing bars would work because they would extend the entire length of the rear wall picking up both the horizontal and verticle timbers towards the corners.
I know where the bottom horizontal timber is because seat that runs along the rear lounge wall is attached to it (which is good because that's a fact, not so good because it is the upper which takes the load).
Awaiting a call back fro Agent Fiamma to discuss this with them. Will post the outcome to bore all further.:ROFLMAO:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is one answer I got when I was asking on here about the same thing

Friend of mine with a Compass damaged the back wall on his van by fitting a cycle rack. He had to fabricate rt angle brackets and bolt them to the floor to reinforce it.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If you want a professional opinion from someone who actually fits 100's of bike racks give Glenn Harris my servce manager a call and pick his brains as to how to do it.
01-580-881288 option 3

Peter

Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
do you have a tow bar?
I use one of these as my van doesnt take a fixed rack easily. Link Removed

i was worried about using it at first but i have used it now for 4 years without a problem and the best thing is you can remove it after removing the bikes. And its cheap.

OP
OP
G

grymbo

Free Member
Jul 30, 2013
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Avangarde 150
Exp
I'm a newbie.

Thanks for all suggestions and offers of further help. Food for thought and all to consider. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back