LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We are with -Talk Talk- for our internet and phone line...

Having nothing but trouble lately with internet,,,,,,, log on then lose it then it comes on then we lose it.... get my drift....

And the last few days it`s getting worse...

Is this to do with Talk, Talk...... or the router or our computers... we have four in the house but only one or two being used at any one time...

If we changed provider and say went with BT or some one else .....

Would we keep the same telephone number and Mo @ Hotmail.com email address or would those T-phone and internet change...

Which would be a pain in the butt, as we have literally hundreds between us....

Thanks..:thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hotmail would still be the same, nothing else that couldn't be got over I think

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would switch to BT Mo.

As already said hotmail etc wouldn't be affected by switching.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I have my phone line & internet with BT its more expensive, but when there is a problem I phone up and say its your line & broadband please fix it.......no arguments about other providers etc - saves a lot of hassle.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi Mo, have you been on TT web site?, you can put your phone number and post code and it will perform a line/speed test, in fact you need to do this before contacting customer services, if there is a problem with your line they will send BT engineer round to fix line problem:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Having nothing but trouble lately with internet,,,,,,, log on then lose it then it comes on then we lose it.... get my drift....

I've had excellent service out of TT with two line faults. In both cases it was my internal wiring. They gave me the clues, I fixed it. At one stage they had booked a BT engineer to check it out but I remembered a 30 year old junction box in the loft, looked at it, all corroded, cleaned. BINGO.

Since this was an internal fault TT and BT would have charged. TT give you a discount so only £90 for an internal examination.

Changing to BT will not cure it, nothing changes with the wiring or your computers. As someone else has said the benefit is that only one firm is involved. Your cash, you choose.

It may be your router and it's wires. Is the router plugged into the MASTER SOCKET ? That is the first socket where the line enters your place. If not you'll not get the best performance.

Have you plugged in any phone gadgets lately ?

Is the link to your computer wire or WiFi ?

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Mo,

You need to find out why the service is so bad. If it is due to the line to the house then changing to BT won't necessarily solve it as the line won't change. It will only be swapped to BT equipment in the exchange.
I assume you have rebooted the router.
If you do move you should be able to transport the number, I think there only was a problem transporting numbers from/to virgin.

Lunarman

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have been with BT since moving to Norfolk 3 years ago and broadband has generally been very good until the last few months and has been dropping more and more.

I did wonder if it is some clever ruse by BT to encourage us to upgrade to a higher level of broadband or to purchase their latest hub.

I have carried out all the tests suggested by BT and finally have an engineer visit booked for this morning so will post the result later.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I have very good Broadband & Phone service from TalkTalk - if there is a problem they sort it out quickly - no complaints, and it's not expensive. My partner switched from BT to TalkTalk and has found it as good if not better, and cheaper.

Catherine

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I've had excellent service out of TT with two line faults. In both cases it was my internal wiring. They gave me the clues, I fixed it. At one stage they had booked a BT engineer to check it out but I remembered a 30 year old junction box in the loft, looked at it, all corroded, cleaned. BINGO.

Since this was an internal fault TT and BT would have charged. TT give you a discount so only £90 for an internal examination.

Changing to BT will not cure it, nothing changes with the wiring or your computers. As someone else has said the benefit is that only one firm is involved. Your cash, you choose.

It may be your router and it's wires. Is the router plugged into the MASTER SOCKET ? That is the first socket where the line enters your place. If not you'll not get the best performance.

Have you plugged in any phone gadgets lately ?

Is the link to your computer wire or WiFi ?

Mo,

You need to find out why the service is so bad. If it is due to the line to the house then changing to BT won't necessarily solve it as the line won't change. It will only be swapped to BT equipment in the exchange.
I assume you have rebooted the router.
If you do move you should be able to transport the number, I think there only was a problem transporting numbers from/to virgin.

Lunarman

Thanks gents...

We have a brand new line into the house,,,, as we lost the lot over last xmas, due to water in the outside cable (Says BT)...

We are on a wireless router that plugs into the "New" twin box BT had installed...

Done all the tests unplugging etc.... but to no avail... The problem search thing which some one suggested we did on Talk talk`s web site and it said every thing is OK and we were in an acceptable speed, and we were one and a half miles from the exchange...

Is it possible for a router to wear out??

I tried phoning out when it went down just now and while the puter had chucked me off the phone still worked..

Thanks again for all your suggestions..

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
This is what comes up on the fault link...

Your exchange is working normally.

You have Standard broadband

Your home is 2.1 miles away from your exchange. info

Up

Your router's connected to the internet

7.3Mb
What's this?

Your speed is inside the expected range
1.7 - 4.3 Mbps info

My Services

No reported issues

Up

Up

Home Phone

Broadband

YouView TV

Issues reported by you (0)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Voice service outage
Closed

Closed Closed

This problem should now be resolved. If you are still having trouble, please use the Report & Repair tool.

Services affected: Phone only

Jul

07:13
Reported date

Diagnosing

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009

In my ex profession, an internal examination was something very different :Eeek: and I don't think you would pay £90 for it :ROFLMAO:

Sorry :Blush:

Petethecook

Banned
Jun 29, 2013
West Midlands>Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Diesel Pusher
Exp
Since July 2014
Lots to Check!

We are with -Talk Talk- for our internet and phone line...

Is this to do with Talk, Talk...... or the router or our computers... we have four in the house but only one or two being used at any one time...

If we changed provider and say went with BT or some one else .....

Would we keep the same telephone number and Mo @ Hotmail.com email address or would those T-phone and internet change...

Which would be a pain in the butt, as we have literally hundreds between us....

Thanks..:thumb:

Hi Mo
Your hotmail account is safe and separate, so don't worry about losing that, and you can keep the same telephone number....but just switching provider may not solve your problems.

Firstly, and assuming your connection problem is with your computers that are connected by wire to your router and not Wi-Fi, I would check your broadband speed through an independant checker site such as:
http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/
The further away your house is from your nearest telephone exchange the slower your connection will be, and this applies to whatever company you are with (TT, BT, Sky etc)

However if your connection is irregular then it is more likely to be a problem in your house wiring or your service provider or the router itself.
Firstly, make sure your router is connected to the first phone socket in your house (usually by the front door) not to any of the extensions that might have been run. This can make a difference.An engineer can sort it out if you want to keep your router somewhere else e.g. in a study upstairs.
Second, make sure all your other phone points in the house have an ADSL filter fitted to them - these are just little boxes with a cable supplied by your service provider but you can buy extras from Maplins. These can make a speed difference too.
Thirdly, I would check your router - do you ever turn it of and back on after a few minutes to reset it? Try that. It may even be a faulty router or just overheating.
Fourth, check the physical wiring of your phone points/junctions
Fifth, check your computers by running diagnostic/cleanup programs on them e.g. 'Registry Mechanic' 'PC-Tools' etc.
And lastly... you get what you pay for with internet connections as well! Personally I avoided TT because a few years back they were the cheapest and got flooded out - the result was poor quality connection with too many subscribers competing for the available bandwidth.
We are with Sky now cos it's part of a telephone/Sattelite package deal for us, but have been with O2 in the past when we had O2 mobile contracts....both good.

Now, if your connection is dropping out and slow with Wi-Fi machines like laptops but okay with the hard-wired machines you got a whole different set of problems :ROFLMAO::winky:

If you need more help, just send me a PM::bigsmile::thumb:

Pete:thumb:

Petethecook

Banned
Jun 29, 2013
West Midlands>Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Diesel Pusher
Exp
Since July 2014
This is what comes up on the fault link...

Your exchange is working normally.

You have Standard broadband

Your home is 2.1 miles away from your exchange. info

Up

Your router's connected to the internet

7.3Mb
What's this?

The 7.3 Mb means 7.3 megabits and is your download rate. That is a good rate because you are quite near your local exchange. Soo....when you ARE connected you got good speed....your problem is drop-out! Sounds like a faulty router to me!

Pete

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Thanks Pete............ PM sent... :thumb:

Having been in touch with TT, and them having me pull the socket to pieces and them doing adjustments or some thing..

I have not dropped out lost connection for half an hour now...

Must say they were very helpful... even a thick,O like me could understand them..

As said not dropped out yet... :Cool: and seems very fast like it was before.. and we have a strong signal, again.. :thumb:

Thanks.. :thumb:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I spoke too soon................. :cry::Angry:

Monitor it for 24 hours...... twice in ten mins..... :Doh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I spoke too soon................. :cry::Angry:

Monitor it for 24 hours...... twice in ten mins..... :Doh:

Just keep talking to TT, switching providers is not the solution.

Have you just one computer ( is that possible ?? ), if so do they all go down.

Can you hear the hard drive thrashing when it goes down, I'm wondering if you've got something nasty running.

What protection are you running, firewall etc ?

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Just keep talking to TT, switching providers is not the solution.

Have you just one computer ( is that possible ?? ), if so do they all go down.

Can you hear the hard drive thrashing when it goes down, I'm wondering if you've got something nasty running.

What protection are you running, firewall etc ?

5 Puters, but only ever two on the go at any one time..

All sound the same as usual...

Got the full "Norton" stytem, which has been OK for years..

I have to leave that part to Judy, she understands it better than I do...

While I am typing this it`s gone down twice... :Doh: got to wait till I`m back on before I can hit the submit button...:Angry:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Got the full "Norton" stytem, which has been OK for years..

I have to leave that part to Judy, she understands it better than I do...

While I am typing this it`s gone down twice... :Doh: got to wait till I`m back on before I can hit the submit button...:Angry:

I don't understand this. If it had "gone down" it would not come back with your post intact, it would be gone.

Norton is one of the most hated programs in the IT industry, or it was when I was close to that.

You need Judy and yourself on comparing notes when "it goes down". Do you both lose the www ?

So just what is "gone down ?". Screen blank ? Keyboard dead ? Error message ? Tingling between the legs ?

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Hi Mo, have you been on TT web site?, you can put your phone number and post code and it will perform a line/speed test, in fact you need to do this before contacting customer services, if there is a problem with your line they will send BT engineer round to fix line problem:thumb:
Mo I've been with TT for ten years
the only (1) problem I had was with the router
check that and Gooneys suggestion first.

Roger & Sheila:Smile:::bigsmile:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Mo, get back onto the help line, tell them the problem and hint you think the router is faulty, they will send you a replacement FOC especially if they think you are considering changing supplier:thumb:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I don't understand this. If it had "gone down" it would not come back with your post intact, it would be gone.

Norton is one of the most hated programs in the IT industry, or it was when I was close to that.

You need Judy and yourself on comparing notes when "it goes down". Do you both lose the www ?

So just what is "gone down ?". Screen blank ? Keyboard dead ? Error message ? Tingling between the legs ?

Hi Brian..... as with posting this,,,,,, I type what I have and the offline yellow triangle comes up..... If I click the submit button while the triangle is there it comes up with words to the effect "This page is unobtainable,,, and at the bottom of this page is a box to click on which says "Diagnose problem"...

But if I click on that nothing comes up...

If I hover the arrow over the strength chart where the Yellow triangle comes up when I have been chucked off it says "Connected to TalkTalk1234, & NO internet access"
:RollEyes::Angry:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
This is what comes up when I try to submit or go on another website...

This page can't be displayed

•Make sure the web address http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk is correct.
•Look for the page with your search engine.
•Refresh the page in a few minutes.

Fix connection problems

Getting well peed off now, it`s every few minutes... and lasts for 1min up to 10mins... :Blush:

And don't matter what web site I`m on it`s the same,,,, so not just Motorhome fun...

Petethecook

Banned
Jun 29, 2013
West Midlands>Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Diesel Pusher
Exp
Since July 2014

If it's a router problem then Mo's connection is going down but his locally typed input on the computer is not lost....just cannot send it. Do check if both computers lose internet connection at the same time....that will prove router is culprit!:winky:
Agree Norton was rubbish after about 1990............but this really does sound like a router problem!
They will probably take a week to get a new router out to you. If it's really urgent you get back online you could ask their helpline if they will talk you through setting up a different router (they may recommend one) that you could go buy from PC World/Argos this afternoon, or you might know someone local who could setup for you? ......otherwise, looks like a waiting game :cry: I have never used TT, but most providers allow you to use your own modem - I use Billion Bipak 7800n but there are loads of Netgear routers around that will do the job.....providing TT will let you have the configuration information to setup.

Good luck Mo :thumb:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Thanks Pete....

We have just for a trial,,, put three (3) computers on.... all working OK...

Then all three go down at the same time...

And all come back on after a time.... all have the same page come up which I posted a couple of threads back...

Petethecook

Banned
Jun 29, 2013
West Midlands>Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Diesel Pusher
Exp
Since July 2014
Thanks Pete....

We have just for a trial,,, put three (3) computers on.... all working OK...

Then all three go down at the same time...

And all come back on after a time.... all have the same page come up which I posted a couple of threads back...

Hi Mo
When you say all 3 go down......you mean they lose internet connection.....the computers themselves don't stop working/restart right? Then that is definitely a router problem Mo!
TT may be able to talk you through running the internal modem diagnostics by phone, and if it is just internal corrupt setting you might fix it with their help. Otherwise looks like you need a new modem!:Doh:

Only other slight possibility I can think is that the modem is either overheating and resetting itself...........or getting reset by a power spike (which could be eliminated with a power surge protector - I always use one for computer equipment).

You could try turning the power off and letting modem cool down.....then see if it stays up longer after that....but it will still need replacing..........or refrigerating :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Pete:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
providing TT will let you have the configuration information to setup.

No problem, I already had a Zyxel before getting TT and just carried on.

>> it says "Connected to TalkTalk1234, & NO internet access":RollEyes::Angry:

Is it the modem/router ???? Ask TT. I have had loss of internet in the past and it was not the router, it came back after a few hours and a complaint from me.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi Mo, further to my earlier post a BT (Openreach) engineer has been to my home and has detected a HR (high resistance) fault 54m down the line which is between two manholes ..... now waiting for another engineer that is capable of lifting the manhole covers in the pavement up the road.

Meanwhile I still have exactly the same problem with my broadband dropping out every few minutes.

I would suggest you call TT or BT and ask them to do a line test from their end. BT did this for me last week and confirmed there was a fault in the line somewhere close to my home although they were unable to say exactly where.

PS ...... and yes it can drop out while you are typing without loosing what you have done and will send when the bb is back up.

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Mine has been like that for years I give up with Talk talk they have been and so has the engineer and it works when they are here:Doh:

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Mo similar problem i had, goes for a couple of days then off, eventualy found to over come problem ,
1 unplugged phone line 10 mins ( line connected to router)
2 then reset router, push in reset button rear of router, ( all green lights on router)
had to do this x2 times over couple days but all been clear now for months.

give it a try, good luck:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back