Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I am cancelling my contract with Orange soon after being with them for around 15 years or more due to the fact they rob me blind and i get promised something by someone in Asia and it does,t get honoured . I intend on getting a sim only contract for £10 a month which gives me 1gb of data for when we are away in MH.What i find bizarre is that i have just bought the new Ipad to take away with us instead of the wifes laptop and thought i would go all out and buy an Iphone 5 so all my bits are compatible i.e. iPad , Apple mac and iPhone.However the assistant tells me that you cant tether with Tesco sim with an iPhone.:Eeek: but it will work fine with my HTC. WHY?:Doh:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Because the OS in the iPhone feeds a message back to the ISP that it is being tethered. If the ISP permits that, fine, if not they will find out.

Android based phones do not send any message back.

Steve

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I haven't had a problem with Orange that a good kicking off on 150 couldn't sort out :ROFLMAO:
I have 1gb with tethering on my contract and no problems.
Orange has just increased it's £3 daily data roaming (EU) from 30mb to 100mb that is pretty good and if you exceed 100mb it just starts another £3 bundle up to 10 times in any 24hrs
CA_07281314300020-L.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
However the assistant tells me that you cant tether with Tesco sim with an iPhone.:Eeek: but it will work fine with my HTC. WHY?:Doh:

And I understand the iPhone's 4g won't work on the 4G network that O2 are rolling out round the country either. Apparently, it isn't compatible.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I am cancelling my contract with Orange soon after being with them for around 15 years or more due to the fact they rob me blind and i get promised something by someone in Asia and it does,t get honoured . I intend on getting a sim only contract for £10 a month which gives me 1gb of data for when we are away in MH.What i find bizarre is that i have just bought the new Ipad to take away with us instead of the wifes laptop and thought i would go all out and buy an Iphone 5 so all my bits are compatible i.e. iPad , Apple mac and iPhone.However the assistant tells me that you cant tether with Tesco sim with an iPhone.:Eeek: but it will work fine with my HTC. WHY?:Doh:

have a look at giffgaff which runs on o2 network
the same as tesco

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Giff gaff can't tether with the iphone either. It has nothing to do with them, just Apple being Apple. "If you don't sell our expensive phones we won't let you tether".

You can tether with all Android phones with Giff Gaff. Having said that only the £10 goodybag (with 1GB) will let you tether. All the more expensive ones are unlimited data, but no tethering.

I am just about to change over to Giff Gaff when my O2 contract runs out next week. Don't want another phone until all the networks offer 4G and the price for it comes down. Then may update my phone. I am only a light user and it is touch and go whether I will need the £10 Goodybag or stick with PAYG.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
... Re that roaming data tariff
Vodafone do £3 per day that you use the phone.. And on those days you get your normal UK talk plan.. Calls txt data..
Roll on the end to roaming

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have a strange one for you, I have a Nokia phone on O2 it hasn't got tethering built in but I have downloaded an app for it called joikuspot you will find it on google, well I can connect iPad through it ,no probs but not android , Julie has a Samsung and that will connect to both on the same O2 . Btw don't know if its common knowledge but you can use your normal data allowence in Europe for £1.99 aday if you tell them

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back