Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
Hi all
i am looking for ideas, inspiration from anyone who has toured France on their own. I have ferries booked for a 3 week trip commencing end of August originally for two people, but now its only me.
i originally wanted to go down the east side to Annecy and then to Carcasonne, then back up the west. i have been to France four times in previous years, with a partner, i am happy driving in France, so long as i aviod the big towns.
but, its still a bit daunting, and i need a bit of encouragement, I wont do three weeks on my own as the prospect of not having a decent conversation for that amount of time feels a bit depressing. so i will just come back when ive had enough.
i would like to hear from anyone who is out there now or who regularly do this.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Might I suggest (with an element of humour but containing a dollop of truth too) that you park up in any French aire... open the bonnet... get out a small tool box and put it on the ground... stand one and a half metres back from the front of the vehicle... put your hands on your hips and look puzzled...

People will soon be over for a chat...

An alternative would be to put out a table and chair and spread out a road map... that will bring 'em in too...

I say "Go for it... motorhomers are a chatty lot..."

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I have done a lot of European motorcycle touring on my own, so just 3 words......

GO FOR IT........:Cool:

You will be having plenty of conversations, even many with yourself such as,
where shall I go next,
where to stop for lunch,
it's lovely here shall I stay another night,
what shall I eat today......

Life is made of experiences, travelling on your own is just another one, and a most enjoyable one it can be too....

:thumb::thumb:

::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
When Elaine and I were down last year I found the biggest problem was
Shutting people up :ROFLMAO:
We came across lots of single travellers some kept to them selfs
Others just chatting around and very soon groups appeared

Go for it you will enjoy
Ps the bonnet and tool kit works if I see a bonnet up I can't resist it got to stick my nose in

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
That's a huge circuit, around 2000 miles - you'll almost not have time to speak to anyone with all that driving.

Why not reduce the miles and tootle around just one area. The weather is still going to be fine at that time of year for any part of France (I hope!).

But regardless, don't worry too much about it. Just get going and the rest will fall into place. Have a great trip!

OP
OP
isitfriday
Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
Ha Ha i shall bear the tool box trick in mind,
all good tips, - and i have also thought about doing a shorter trip, but also more worried about skimming along the top as all the negative stuff generally involves targetting tourists near the ports and busy areas. So i want to get far enough away from that.
Im going over via Calais and returning via Le havre.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I only just noticed what your plans are for time and distance :Doh:
As a outspoken yorkshire man :winky:
YOUR MAD:ROFLMAO:
We did 10 days in Dordogne and never got chance to appreciate 1% of it
Pick 1 or 2 regions take your time relax and enjoy :thumb:

OP
OP
isitfriday
Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
Mmm, Im obviously still thinking theres two of us driving i would be happy to pick one or two spots and stay there. but there isnt anywhere that has taken my fancy north of Paris.
need some ideas

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi.

No problems on doing a trip solo, as has been said you will soon find people to talk with. The longest trip I have done is 5 weeks down to Dubrovnic and then across Italy & Sicilly to Malta.

Annecy is very nice but one of the best areas I have found is along the Loire, nice views and brilliant for cycling.

Late August / Early September should be good as you will miss the main holiday period. I have booked a crossing for the 27th August and plan on around 3 weeks on the Mosel.

Have a good trip.
Mike

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
As previously posted the Dordogne region is great, and MHs are well catered for, lots of Aires including in all the tourist areas. Sarlat is wonderful, especially on market days (but you have to park early) & there is quite a big Aire there about 5 mins walks from the centre. Rocamadour is a must see (again we parked very easily there) and there are lots of Chateaux with large parking areas close, if not Aires.

Happy travelling :thumb:

tansea

Free Member
Feb 4, 2012
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Have had holidays tootling around France for many years, hardly ever on a main road. It's a great life but now every town and every village,hardly matters how small, has at least one and often more speed humps. Well built as well. Down to a crawl to cross them without disturbance. Somebody told me that they have had European Union grants for them.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
You will be suprised at what happens on adventures like this, just go for it, try no to drive for days, just pull off across country. Looking forward to reading re your trip notes, have a :thumb: great time.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
An alternative would be to put out a table and chair and spread out a road map... that will bring 'em in too...

JJ :Cool:
A table and chair on an aire?????? frowned upon big time I thought but then who would argue with a 6+ft magician and a loud ffff:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
we always find people come over to talk, Dutch people always speak good English, never been short of someone to talk to, hell you can always try out the French phrasebook but don't ask old ladies if you can stroke their cat as you may get a reponse you were not expecting:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
In our experience, you can usually use table, chairs, awnings and anything on an aire as long as you only use your own space and don't leave em out and give the impression you think you are on a campsite or that they have been abandoned ! In other words be considerate to other users and don't take up more space than you are entitled to, even if marked spaces are very narrow.

Hell - on a recently visited aire at Chateau Thierry, you have a plenty big, nice, almost level tarmac parking space each, a lawn area next to it and then a low hedge. Plus a pristine loo and shower block, and an open view of the river. You get the choice of elec (extra €1 per 12 hours) or not.

Some aires do specify no awnings, or nothing towed on a trailer, or no cars, or anything else they decide they don't want - but nobody in the whole caboodle objects to you sitting on the outside of your van on your folding chairs etc as long as you don't obstruct or interfere with anyone else.

:thumb:

About 2 years ago we pulled onto an aire where the last space was next to a French van where the 'older than us' couple were sat on their chairs in the space. As soon as we started pulling in, the chairs were moved onto the grass verge immediately. We parked and our door being on the English side then, got out and told the couple to move their seats back into the space between.

We got talking; I understand quite a bit more French than I thought I could speak, but they were great and spoke carefully and slowly, explaining different things several times when we didn't quite grasp it. And vice-versa. We each grasped everything the others said. Most enjoyable conversation. An hour or two later I commented to Pete that I wished my vocabulary was sufficient to say to them, that's amazing - I've only just realised that's the longest conversation I have ever had in French in my life, including when I did my French 'O' level oral exam in 1966 !

You just have to have a go. They'll appreciate your trying, even if you fail miserably, we've always found. And because they do appreciate it, they try harder too.

Pete reckons he has hardly any French but he started going carp fishing there years and years ago. So when the exhaust pipe on the Xantia literally fell in two whilst camping in the Vendee, he was able to explain that it was 'cassé ' which was a word he'd learned whilst fishing and I didn't know at all.

This year, we learned the words ' une échelle telescopique ' - but that's another story ....... ::bigsmile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Roger, someone I worked with had a French penfriend when she was at school. She'd gone to stay with them and they'd eaten a meal.

The mother asked if she had had enough, or did she want anything else to eat?

Sheila replied that she was full, and rubbed her belly whilst doing so - "Non, merci - je suis pleine", she said.

There was a stunned silence round the table.

Then the pal's older sisters burst out laughing, and explained to her that she'd just told them - in the vernacular - that she had a bun in the oven !

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi,
If you are heading normandy / brittany way we are over there 2nd sept till 15th sept doing a sort of circular trip down towards dinan area then down to the south quiberon/carnac then back up via loire. I you see us you are more than welcome to a chat & beverage (of whatever).
Terry & Ann :sin::sin:

OP
OP
isitfriday
Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
thank you Terry, Ann, just need to sort out a good internet connection. i have now thought of going along the loire valley (someone mentioned it in an earlier thread) stopping at a site for a few days and cycling along the river.
Then there is a rally on in St Julien des landes, La Garangeoire that could be handy.::bigsmile:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, We went along the Loire a couple of years ago, Briare is nice, with a couple of aires main one and another just over the bridge along side the canal. lovely free aire at Sully sur Loire with nice chateau, dont miss Beaugency aire right on river side with a nice market but get there early as gets busy.
Terry & Ann:sin::sin:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back