Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Just fitted a ‘Rare Spares’ hand-brake extender to my Ducato. £80.00, but well worth it. Easily fitted in minutes.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I fitted a hand break extension to my Laika which is on a Ducato base, as you say only minutes to fit and has made a big difference, not sure now where I got mine but it was only around £30.00ish :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
I fitted a hand break extension to my Laika which is on a Ducato base, as you say only minutes to fit and has made a big difference, not sure now where I got mine [HI]but it was only around £30.00ish[/HI] :thumb:

Now you tell me.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I love my Fiat handbrake just as it is -------it nicely slips up the leg of my shorts as I try to jump out and that is exciting :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I love my Fiat handbrake just as it is -------it nicely slips up the leg of my shorts as I try to jump out and that is exciting :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Har! Mine goes for my pocket. Mostly at petrol stations where I have to try and get a foot back in the van to lift myself up ::bigsmile:::bigsmile: Very dignified!!

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Yes that is one of the annoying things about a hand break extension, often catch mine, I'm sure that one day I'll knock it off and the van will go rolling away, well not really but it does feel like it. :Eeek:

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Yes that is one of the annoying things about a hand break extension, often catch mine, I'm sure that one day I'll knock it off and the van will go rolling away, well not really but it does feel like it. :Eeek:

Hi David,
Have recently fitted mine and been sorting the van at home and moving it back and forth and several times it has pinged off when getting in and out.
Mental note to self "Take care if parking on a hill" is very easy to catch with extender on,could be disastrous !!:Eeek:

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Got one for sale only used for a couple of months now changed van for Mercedes £40 including UK postage please pm me if interested

Dave e

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I always pull the handbrake on then remove the pin and fold the arm down before exiting the cab door. suicide handbrakes are notorious for releasing by accident with just a knock. pulling the pin and rotating the handle makes it impossible to release by accident. always put the pin back in though so you dont lose it:thumb:

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Got one for sale only used for a couple of months now changed van for Mercedes £40 including UK postage please pm me if interested

Dave e

What breed is it Dave?

The handbrake on our Ducato (Burstner 748) is about as effective as Vince Cable :ROFLMAO: i.e. utterly useless!

Will an extender give me more leverage?

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
It's a rare spares the same as Firemansam's they will only give you slightly more leverage, they are really designed to give a higher hand brake lever position.
To be honest the hand brake on my Autotrail was good, just a stretch to reach in the off position, but it was on the full Fiat chassis, i believe the Alco chassis hand brake can give problems.

Dave e

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
i believe the Alco chassis hand brake can give problems.

Dave e

That's an understatement - it's next to useless!

I couldn't believe my van would pass the MOT with such an ineffective handbrake - but it did!

Since, I had all the brakes serviced and pads replaced but it made no difference. :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back