Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
We have been using our newly converted transit motor home in uk to get used to campsite, driving, etc. We would now like to travel more extensively E.G Europe including driving from Scotland to Italy. Now comes the problem we face. The van is older hence it is not compliant as far as emission controls go. Is it realistic to be able to do this trip regarding tunnels , border crossings motorways etc? We are quite happy to leave vehicle outside the restricted cities and use public transport but how hard will it be to get the enjoyment of getting to these places in the first place? Are our hopes achievable and have any of you done this . As newcomers to going over the channel ALL help would be very much appreciated.
By the way we are both enjoying our latest adventure, we are both now retired
Bruce and Irene from Glasgow

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Emissions

this should tell you (although there are other sites) you should be able to plan your route from this - Italy looks complex!
some zones apply to foreign vehicles (like the German ones) some dont, some have weight restrictions etc -

http://www.lowemissionzones.eu/lez-quick-guide/camper-vans
Thanks for reply . Certainly this is quite complicated to understand ,has anybody had the same problems and how did they overcome them. Surely I dont have to abandon any hope of entering and enjoying Italy in some form or other. Any ideas

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Living out in the sticks, this never crossed my mind, went to pisa and toured round Italy a bit last year in an old ldv converted van , didn't get stopped or anything, was I conforming to regs or not, honestly just never even looked at this before thought it only happened in London , we are off again in September but in a 07 Peugeot based van under 3500 what euro is that 1,2,3,4,5, is it anything I should be looking at. ::bigsmile:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Don't know about Italy as I have never been but have been in Germany this year. Koln is an LEZ city and has an LEZ zone. German cars are registered and display either a green, amber or red sticker.
Visiting vehicles do not and officially should apply for a sticker at a designated testing station at a cost of about 12 euros. My mh would not comply but the emissions zones are not covered by ctv or by barriers and after conversation with a German local he told me the police are not looking at these stickers and will only act if the vehicle is reported for not having a sticker or is involved in a traffic incident.

Whilst I would not encourage you to risk entering an LEZ without the proper sticker I would not break out into a panic if as we did you strayed into the LEZ without realizing.

So my advice would be find out the towns/cities you intend visiting and if they are LEZ stay outside but if you inadvertently stray into one because you don't understand the sign or cannot take an alternate route do not panic. Ignorance of the law is no excuse but unlike UK LEZ in most EU countries is a green issue and not a fund raising exercise so they would rather try and help you comply rather than sting you with a fine.

Norman

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Emissions

Living out in the sticks, this never crossed my mind, went to pisa and toured round Italy a bit last year in an old ldv converted van , didn't get stopped or anything, was I conforming to regs or not, honestly just never even looked at this before thought it only happened in London , we are off again in September but in a 07 Peugeot based van under 3500 what euro is that 1,2,3,4,5, is it anything I should be looking at. ::bigsmile:
What route did you take as I believe the tunnels are quite strict over these issues. We are open to all suggestions so please more info from everyone thanks Bruce

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I bought the German TUV pass online which is possible if you have a euro engined vehicle. On the basis that I am the foreigner if I get into trouble the language barrier may be an issue & Not leaving myself open to any local er.....extra 'taxes' administered by a cash hungry individual official is a good idea. And definitely so in countries like Poland where they will screw your wallet to the wall if you give them the opportunity & can!

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What route did you take as I believe the tunnels are quite strict over these issues. We are open to all suggestions so please more info from everyone thanks Bruce

Went through Mont Blanc tunnel and all the ones around genoa (sp) mind you wouldn't do Mont Blanc again £30 toll

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
And through the centre of Pisa

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 10

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp

Hi Bruce, been reading about these zones in Europe,and what i can gather is these zones are only in city centers, and in Italy only apply between the hours of 0800 to 2000hrs, Germany is all the time, so transiting these citys on a ring road dont seem to be a problem,and to enter Italy transit via a mountain pass i.e Mont Cenis or Mont Ganevero, all leads into the ring road of Turin,so you can map out your travels and not enter the zones,google low emission zones in europe and you will see the entire european map on the zones,and if you want to visit any city, we just park out side and use public transport,hope this helps you,and most of all happy traveling,Alf.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I recently returned from a trip to Germany, and before I went I decided to chance €6 for a disc from here...

https://www.berlin.de/labo/kfz/dienstleistungen/feinstaubplakette.shop.en.php

Although my 2001 Autosleeper Clubman GL certainly doesn't meet their specifications for it, a green sticker arrived by post within a week!

Did you have to send any documents to accompany your on line form?

Steve_UK

Free Member
May 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Clubman GL
Exp
Since May 2012
Did you have to send any documents to accompany your on line form?

As Campacola said, your V5C. However, you can email a scanned copy of that so that everything is done online without having to post anything to them.

Steve

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
As Campacola said, your V5C. However, you can email a scanned copy of that so that everything is done online without having to post anything to them.

Steve

I've still not quite worked out what I need to do. 1978 petrol, so no Euro, but should be exempt under classic regulations. The problem is that Germans have different coloured plates for classics, so don't need a sticker. That means there isn't an exempt sticker to apply for. Do I just leave a note on the windscreen?

Steve_UK

Free Member
May 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Clubman GL
Exp
Since May 2012
I've still not quite worked out what I need to do. 1978 petrol, so no Euro, but should be exempt under classic regulations. The problem is that Germans have different coloured plates for classics, so don't need a sticker. That means there isn't an exempt sticker to apply for. Do I just leave a note on the windscreen?

My understanding is that petrol engines are exempt, but check that one out!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

1978....they should give you a sticker for bravery:ROFLMAO:
Good luck with it:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back