House sold,funds banked,now just the open road! (1 Viewer)

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Moved out of our house today after spending the past week 'thining' the contents of a four bedroom house with a very full double garage into a 150sq ft store! Now sitting on a campsite not far from home resting with a nice glass of Lussac St Emillion with the whole of the rest of our lives before us wondering where we might settle eventually! Not a bad problem to have.
Criteria - Must have direct flights to Edinburgh, be warmer than Scotland (not too difficult!), have a good mix of things to do and see, a sense of community and history.
So far we are off to look at Suffolk (where I spent my childhood), East Cornwall (we like Looe), Bordeaux area (within about an hour of the airport) and Malaga (within an hour of airport into the Alpuharas)
We are spending the next six months looking at these areas, have any Funsters any other suggestions? Looking forward to see what else comes up!:thumb:

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Congratulations and very best wishes in your search. Been there, done it ten years ago and absolutely no regrets. If you get to Malaga, give us a shout and we'll buy you glass or two of Rioja.

Safe travels

Regards, Bryan

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Try Yorkshire, great place to live & great value for money( don't tell everyone though!). Nice problem to have, we will be in a similar place in 2 months time - best of luck :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The algarve for meif I was in your position, nice and warm in winter, cheap flights. At faro

OP
OP
JOHNSTEY

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The algarve for meif I was in your position, nice and warm in winter, cheap flights. At faro

We have been a couple of times but although it has the weather and access it doesn't have the depth of history and is a bit over developed for our taste.Great for a visit but not to live for us!Thanks:thumb:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Many Congratulations, it isnt an easy decision to make, we are at the crossroads at this very moment.. should we sell up or not.... it is hard to choose where to lay some roots as certain needs must be met ie insurance / mail etc

I am sure with the help of our fellow funster's some ideas will come together and a great plan will emerge

Wishing you a wonderful new adventure:thumb:

John n Kath x

OP
OP
JOHNSTEY

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Many Congratulations, it isnt an easy decision to make, we are at the crossroads at this very moment.. should we sell up or not.... it is hard to choose where to lay some roots as certain needs must be met ie insurance / mail etc

We have helped one of our sons with a deposit for a flat and will make this our UK address for insurance and mail etc until we 'root' somehwere!:thumb:

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Heading south end up in Kent "the Garden of England" where history started, easy acess to France channel crossings, and airports galore Gatwick, Heathrow, Manston,London airport, plus all the hype about building new one thames eastry. retirement homes around coastal area`s just in case you decide to pack it in after all those years. list can go on.
Happy travels whatever you decide be well and enjoy.:thumb:

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
suffolk coastal car parks

Good luck with your quest. When in Suffolk, go into Aldeburgh, or Woodbridge information shop and ask for a coastal car park pass, its great value at £10 for a week and you can park overnight at Sizewell. Cheapest holiday we ever had last year.
Regards Phil

OP
OP
JOHNSTEY

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Heading south end up in Kent "the Garden of England" where history started, easy acess to France channel crossings, and airports galore Gatwick, Heathrow, Manston,London airport, plus all the hype about building new one thames eastry. retirement homes around coastal area`s just in case you decide to pack it in after all those years. list can go on.
Happy travels whatever you decide be well and enjoy.:thumb:

Good call and one area well worth further looking at but for value for money we might be better in the Pas de Calais.:RollEyes:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
All the best for the future well done and admire your balls

Yes they are a fine pair , he showed me. :roflmto:

Oh well done Johnstey and good luck....

Me? in your position, it would be a value for money property, small, good GP access close enough to walk to a shop, big enough to get a van on the drive. I love Cheshire, but it's not always as warm as today!!!!

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Norfolk is a really nice county with plenty of history and loads to do , I believe flybe do flights from Norwich airport to Edinburgh ,

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
All the best for the future well done and admire your balls
Hmm, I don't seem to able to see that particular photo......

But good luck in your search. You are a bit ahead if us, we are both retired early ( me in a week) and itching to sell our house in Kent and see where life takes us. An old farmhouse in France, if we manage to find the right one.
Allan

OP
OP
JOHNSTEY

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hmm, I don't seem to able to see that particular photo......

But good luck in your search. You are a bit ahead if us, we are both retired early ( me in a week) and itching to sell our house in Kent and see where life takes us. An old farmhouse in France, if we manage to find the right one.
Allan

Ha Ha..............the problem you will have then is where in France?..it's a big country to get your head around (never mind your body!) Bonne chance:thumb::thumb:

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
did it 20 odd years ago but still looking !!!!!:secret: the traveling becomes a way of life . still got places to check out . :winky: stan

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Good luck with the rest of your lives what a adventure you have ahead of you quite jealous enjoy :thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Good call and one area well worth further looking at but for value for money [HI]we might be better in the Pas de Calais[/HI].:RollEyes:

For sure it will be better over the Channel.... It's France not Kent......:thumb::thumb:

I lived on the outskirts of St Omer, (at St Martin au Laert) Pas de Calais, for 10 years....
really nice place and I do miss it, :cry:

and just 40 minutes from Calais and Dunkirk....

::bigsmile:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Hey we sold our house 16 months ago with a similar view but we are still looking for our little acre to settle in, as has been said travelling can easily become a way of life.

We find it so nice to move after three or four days and explore elsewhere.

France is our favourite as yet, but after living the last 60 odd years in the Pennines we crave somewhere warmer for our old bones in winter.

Good Luck with your search and travels

simi

Free Member
Jun 30, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus sun Ti
Exp
1year
Great news our very best wishes to you both ,
hope you find the perfect place.we are thinking of moving to the coast looking at port solent, with mooring for a small boat, dream stage at the moment.Take care and most of all enjoy.

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
Moved out of our house today after spending the past week 'thining' the contents of a four bedroom house with a very full double garage into a 150sq ft store! Now sitting on a campsite not far from home resting with a nice glass of Lussac St Emillion with the whole of the rest of our lives before us wondering where we might settle eventually! Not a bad problem to have.
Criteria - Must have direct flights to Edinburgh, be warmer than Scotland (not too difficult!), have a good mix of things to do and see, a sense of community and history.
So far we are off to look at Suffolk (where I spent my childhood), East Cornwall (we like Looe), Bordeaux area (within about an hour of the airport) and Malaga (within an hour of airport into the Alpuharas)
We are spending the next six months looking at these areas, have any Funsters any other suggestions? Looking forward to see what else comes up!:thumb:

I lived for 5 years in a small village just north of Bordeaux in a very small house surrounded by vines, summers were hot, winter could be very cold at times but spring and autumn were amazing.
If airports are a consideration to that area there are cheap flights going to La Rochelle and Bergerac as well as Bordeaux.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
travel france using the aires book some beautiful places to stay in the heart of some villages all for next to nowt have fun and enjoy :thumb:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Good luck and safe travels!

Russell

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
So jealous, but I can squeeze a CONGRATULATIONS out from betwixt gritted teeth :winky:::bigsmile:

My other half recently sold his house and moved into his RV, I'm still in bricks n mortar but I love going to stay at his campsite, it's like being on holiday everyday :Cool: but I'm afraid work still beckons us both for a while longer yet.

Enjoy yourselves, wherever you go :thumb:

joinerderby

Free Member
Nov 6, 2012
Stockport
Funster No
MH
auto trail cheyenne 860d
Exp
since 2012
Just done it our selves we are at present on the Algarve at Portimao been here for three months while we sort out a few things, it's easy to get home three hr flight etc for about £80 return and love every minute.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Good luck with the rest of your lives what a adventure you have ahead of you quite jealous enjoy :thumb:
Hello Carol, it would be interesting to revisit some of these adventures today. 2013 just seven years ago, wonder how or what they are doing now. See if it was really something to be jealous off... :smiley:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back