New rules when renewing your tax disc (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I saw THIS on another forum and thought it would be of interest.

I normally renew my tax on-line in plenty of time but our rich members thinking of buying new motorhomes might like to be aware :Smile:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
just shows DVLA have no confidence in their 5 day turnaround for online tax applications. :Doh:
I've never had any bother, John, always received my disc within 3 or 4 days. However, as I say, I always do it in plenty of time. Maybe they have a problem late in the month with a glut of people leaving it to the last minute.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I've never had any bother, John, always received my disc within 3 or 4 days. However, as I say, I always do it in plenty of time. Maybe they have a problem late in the month with a glut of people leaving it to the last minute.

Many people have to do it at the last minute, as the insurance renewal is at the end of tax month, or the MOT hasn't passed yet due to waiting for parts.

I had a Peugeot 107 where the insurance renewed on the 28th,so you couldn't submit your application until then. The tax was so low, you weren't allowed to ask for 6 months to put it out of sync. The tax was always late. Having insurance or MOT in the same month as tax is a nightmare.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it always was an unwritten, but generally accepted, rule you had 14 days grace.

computerisation buggered everything up......i used to carry the completed documents and a cheque in the glovebox........get stopped and just say you're going to the post office to buy it.
usually got 13 months for the price of 12. :RollEyes:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Many people have to do it at the last minute, as the insurance renewal is at the end of tax month, or the MOT hasn't passed yet due to waiting for parts.

I had a Peugeot 107 where the insurance renewed on the 28th,so you couldn't submit your application until then. The tax was so low, you weren't allowed to ask for 6 months to put it out of sync. The tax was always late. Having insurance or MOT in the same month as tax is a nightmare.

I'm sure some people (as your own illustration) have genuine reasons. I'm equally sure that the long queues I used to see when using post offices on the first few days of each month were not made up completely by such people ::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dont suppose its anything to do with them closing all the local taxation offices and now realising they cant cope :Doh:. Having said that....could they ever :RollEyes:.

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
it always was an unwritten, but generally accepted, rule you had 14 days grace.

computerisation buggered everything up......i used to carry the completed documents and a cheque in the glovebox........get stopped and just say you're going to the post office to buy it.
usually got 13 months for the price of 12. :RollEyes:

14 days grace? It never existed! Just a public misconception.
If you're stopped for an expired VEL it is reported by the police to the DVLA, and it is THEY, the DVLA that have to authorise any prosecution. If you have already paid for your VEL they will take no action. (You could display your expired disc for 14 days IF you renewal has been paid, and your new disc is "in the post", "on top of the fridge" etc etc. etc.
.......13 months for the price of 12??!! No chance, they're not that daft!! Any gaps, and they will sting you for the back-tax!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I tried that with a TV Licence once, it had expired and we were boracic .... then they started with the detector vans (just my luck) so I went to get a NEW TV licence. No joy; they backdated it 10 months !

That's good actually cos where you are going on hols over or immediately after the tax renewal date it's a PITA trying to renew it and get the disc.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
14 days grace? It never existed! Just a public misconception.
If you're stopped for an expired VEL it is reported by the police to the DVLA, and it is THEY, the DVLA that have to authorise any prosecution. If you have already paid for your VEL they will take no action. (You could display your expired disc for 14 days IF you renewal has been paid, and your new disc is "in the post", "on top of the fridge" etc etc. etc.
.......13 months for the price of 12??!! No chance, they're not that daft!! Any gaps, and they will sting you for the back-tax!

yip got a fine for that very offence
8 am on the first of the month
the application for the disc filled and cash in my pocket
to get it nowash with plod

i always try and get it at the post office
just to help keep the post office really

thinking im not always going to be as mobile :Eeek:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i always used to get an extra month but now days with continuous insurance and sorns there is no chance ive even thrown my old Guinness label away

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Well I think I have found the answer to why DVLA's service is crap - if you look at this http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/tiin/2012/tiin2070.pdf ( from previous post ) and look at the bottom of the page you will see the person to contact is Jason Donovan - now seeing as how he spends and awful lot of time singing and acting it no wonder you have to wait for ages for an answer :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Alright I'll get me coat :winky:

meexi

Free Member
Feb 6, 2012
Angus,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694
Exp
since 2011

Just surrender your current tax disk after six months and renew for twelve :Smile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Just surrender your current tax disk after six months and renew for twelve :Smile:

As I work away, and before the online system, I always used to do this to ensure the renewal was at a time of my choosing.:thumb:

Just don't give them a chance to have an excuse to penalise you.....

They only pursue the law abiding folks who often make genuine errors or oversights... the toe rags who never register cars in their own names, and never tax them etc, rarely get caught with these systems..... It's an ineffective system.....:Sad:

::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back