Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Tealby, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
About to fit Fiamma F65S 400 to my Rapido V66 van conversion. Fitting kit instructions on use of Sika 252 sealant are vague i.e. just a picture that seems to show the brackets sitting slightly proud on a cushion of sealant.
So question is - do I put the beads of sealant on the brackets then seat them gently, wait 24 hours for cure, then screw fittings down firmly - perhaps giving me a silicon cushion between brackets and van? Or do I apply sealant and screw fittings down tight straight away, ensuring firm metal to metal contact?
Any input welcome.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
About to fit Fiamma F65S 400 to my Rapido V66 van conversion. Fitting kit instructions on use of Sika 252 sealant are vague i.e. just a picture that seems to show the brackets sitting slightly proud on a cushion of sealant.
So question is - do I put the beads of sealant on the brackets then seat them gently, wait 24 hours for cure, then screw fittings down firmly - perhaps giving me a silicon cushion between brackets and van? Or do I apply sealant and screw fittings down tight straight away, ensuring firm metal to metal contact?
Any input welcome.

Put them on a little over hand tight, use a prop to hold the weight of awning if there is no backing plate and leave overnight. Torque up in the morning.

If you tighten up straight away, you will just squeeze all the sealant out. The sealant is flexible and non drying - but you need a 'skin' to form on top before tightening right up.

OP
OP
Scallywag

Scallywag

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Tealby, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Sounds Good

Thanks Rainbow Chasers - as fitting kit is a separate item I can leave it 24 hours before adding weight of awning. Scallywag.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I would have been inclined to have glued and fixed the brackets on using the sika flex as this is more of a structural adhesive than a sealant although what rainbow chaser has said makes perfect sense, full instructions from sika here, Link Removed

OP
OP
Scallywag

Scallywag

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Tealby, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Sealant

Sorry Full Timer, my mistake for referring to it as a sealant. I realise it is a seriously strong structural adhesive, from the Data sheet, and from references to it being a devil of a job to squeeze out with normal caulk gun.
But the kit is a belt and braces job taking advantage of the lugs on top of the van to provide a 'non-drill' fitting. Just wanted to know what role the adhesive was supposed to play in the set up - sticking or cushioning, or both.
The adhesive and bolts go on at the same time, within the 15 mins flow period - and I think hand tightening is the way to go to achieve both the sticking and cushioning. Otherwise I feel that in the absence of rubber spacers, I will 'hear from' my awning when in transit. Thanks for the input. Scallywag.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Any input welcome.

I personally fitted a F65S and a F45S, to two different MH's , I made up EPM rubber pads to mount between the brackets and the roof, hand tighten them down, applied Tec7 Silican adhesive around the mounting set screws and around prohibitory of the brackets, this was nearly two years ago, brackets have never moved never leaked:thumb:

OP
OP
Scallywag

Scallywag

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Tealby, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Mentalis

I like the rubber pad idea - will look into it while awaiting delivery of the Sika 252.

John's Cross - I did actually buy all the kit from you, but could find no instructions relating to the use of the adhesive on the F65. Will take a closer look. Scallywag.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If you call Glenn or Ian on 01-580-881288 option 3 and explain your problem, I am sure they will be happy to explain it all to you especially when you bought the kit from us

Thanks for the order:thumb:

Peter

OP
OP
Scallywag

Scallywag

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Tealby, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
John's Cross = thanks will call in the morning. I like the rubber pad idea, but not sure it jives with using the Sika adhesive.

Scallywag - PS I did get my 10% discount - which made you the lowest price source I could find. Fiammastore came close on price, but had no stock.

OP
OP
Scallywag

Scallywag

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Tealby, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
The Answer

For the 177 people who have viewed this thread so far, and for those who kindly contributed their thoughts and experience, the definitive answer for fitting the F65 to a van conversion has conveyed to me by Ian, at Johns Cross - who has fitted many of them. Thanks Ian.

The adhesive/sealant, Sika 252, is applied to the underside of the brackets, which are then screwed down tight. There is a profile in the bracket, which stops all the sealant being squashed out, and the primary aim is for a firm fixture, with all three brackets as in-line as possible.

Apparently locating the middle bracket on the awning can be tricky at the best of times, without arbitrarily setting its level on a cushion of sealant/adhesive. The awning can be fixed to the brackets pretty much straight away - after removing the excess sealant with cloth and white spirit.

Voila - I'll post if it all goes horribly wrong!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back