Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
AS Watersports trip

by wildman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:39 pm
Sue and I set off for Exeter in the motorhome on saturday evening and parked outside of the warehouse, afew hundred yards from the shop.

The 3 hour kayak course started on sunday morning. We were greeted by Liam their BCA instructor.
After a brief description of what lay ahead he got us all kitted out (eight of us) in wetsuits, cag and PDF. Those that had them wore their own.

A brief introduction foorom each of us and he allocated the yaks to be used. I was lucky enough to be given a brand new, never been wet Prowler Ultra 4.1 and Sue a Perception Triumph which is almost identical to the one she has just got (Perception Freedom).

Off we went for a quiet paddle down the canal and along the river Exe

After accessing all of our imeadiate faults Liam offered advice on correcting them, he then told us all to sit side saddle and try to gauge the tipping point both left and right. now having done this several times in the Scrambler 11 in shallow water I was rather overconfident and managed to tip it. The water was really warm, I wish I had stayed there. As we had not yet got to the self rescue bit Liam performed an assisted rescue. By the time I eventually got back on I realised a number of things but more of those at the end.

we went on to practice turning in our own length.

Using balance to steer and power turns before returning to yak righting and self rescue. all of the eight people there were in their late 50's/early sixties and at least three of us very overweight.
He paired us off, I was then that I realised I did not have the strength to haul myself aboard again let alone help Sue on board. So Liam took my place and Sue managed to get back on as did everyone else, though no one managed it unassisted. We then went for a paddle along the river EXe and back to the canal, I was surprised to find my arms and shoulders coped with paddling that long. Everyone had a great time and all learned something new, even if it was only the recommendation to fill the yak with extra bouyancy if using it at sea. Old pop bottle are free and work well fitting in all of the small places. It is the best value for £35 I have seen for a very long time. The shop is excellent though you could spend a small fortune there.
Conclusions, I am NOT confident in or on the water, I don't have a cats chance in hell of rescuing myself if more than 100 yards or so from land. I need to lose another two stone and build some upper body strength. So for the time being I'll be fishing from the shore and paddling in the estuary until my balance and strength problems are sorted. I am so disappointed but there have been a few wake up calls of late and I'm not getting any younger, (66 year old git)
Leaving Exeter a tremendous migraine started that continued until this morning, plus my stomach decided I had wrenched it about too much, once I got home the dizzy spells started, (they are caused by a restriction in my spine, uncomfortable, almost like being drunk I guess).
Had I not just bought two yaks, GPS, Radio Fishfinder etc I would probably have given up. But I'll persevere for now.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Well done Roger!

Get yourself down the swimming pool and have a swim a few times a week - that will build up the body strength, and help the back build strength without the weight of your body, so less stress.

Once you get your body used to something new, and replace those muscles you haven't used for a while, it will be fine!

Keep at it! I may get back to kayaking one day - have an Orca Expedition, or had (brother borrowed it 2 years ago) - not done anything since my accident, but may get a smaller one and get back to it.

Keep up it! :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi & well done Roger, I did similar canoe trip down part of the Ardeche , but unlike you no instruction what so ever or even asked if we could swim at all, just handed me a lifejacket and showed on a crumpled map where he would pick us (thats me and a friend) up quite a distance down the Ardeche river some 4 hrs later. No mention of a couple of small white water sections !!!! needless to say we got through 2 small parts of white water bit lumpy, on the third I took the wrong way , overturned lost my paddle and canoe, my companion went the correct way and eventually came to help also several other canoeists who help return my canoe, but I couldn't get back into it so had to make my way back to shore to start off again. Thank goodness for the lifejacket as I was in what seemed like very deep water but I expect only about 10 ft but very scarey lots of large rocks and very strong eddy's swirling about down there under the water, me not being a very strong swimmer , can do about 20 mtrs. Fabulous river, gorge and scenery ,we went under the rock arch at Pont D'arc .
Might try it again some day
Terry:sin:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Well done Richard! At least now you know where your strengths and weaknesses are and can do something about it! Good on you!:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Great to see pensioners being active, well done Roger:thumb: I agree you should get down the pool. It's a great way to build strength without damaging yourself. When in the pool get down the deep end and practice heaving yourself up out of the pool, try and get it so you can lock your arms out, then drop back in and repeat. You won't be able to get far out of the pool at first but after a 3 or 4 weeks you'll be able to do it, you'll be getting stronger and lighter. Once you can get out of the pool without using the steps, you should be easy able to haul yourself back into your canoe. :thumb:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
:Eeek: You're 'avin' a giraffe Jim. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ivy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back