Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello all

I saw a post related to these last year, but am now seriously considering buying one. Anybody already spent their money and have any opinions? This is the blow up version with extra height for MH's.

One fear I have is my MH height, at 3m, I estimate, but need to measure to confirm that by the time I drop down to the fixing point on my Omnistor it will be close to the 2.9m limit for the awning, also still not too sure how I will fix it at that height, I hope I can wind my awning out, attach the Kampa to the rail then rewind??

They cost as small fortune, so really need it to be right

David :Smile:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hello all

I saw a post related to these last year, but am now seriously considering buying one. Anybody already spent their money and have any opinions? This is the blow up version with extra height for MH's.

One fear I have is my MH height, at 3m, I estimate, but need to measure to confirm that by the time I drop down to the fixing point on my Omnistor it will be close to the 2.9m limit for the awning, also still not too sure how I will fix it at that height, I hope I can wind my awning out, attach the Kampa to the rail then rewind??

They cost as small fortune, so really need it to be right

David :Smile:

We have the 260 model,and it is great ::bigsmile:
You could attach it to your Omnistor rail,in which case the height you need to measure accurately is the height to the slot in the rail-bearing in mind that if you use ramps to level then that height can vary.
If you do attach it to the Omnistor rail,then there will be a gap of the thickness of the Omnistor casing out from the van.
Because if this,I attached an aluminium awning rail at 240 cms just under the Fiamma awning casing. I stand on some folding steps to feed the Kampa into the rail.I have put an eyelet in the end of the bit that runs in the awning rail and we attach a hooked strap to that
so that Carolyn can pull from one end as I feed-in at the other.

Mike.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks Mike

The gap to MH does worry me, but I am not overly keen on drilling the skin of my MH to fit an extra rail, albeit somebody clearly already has to fit the Omnistor!!

But you have given me an idea, to fit an extra rail to the underside of the awning, this will at least reduce the gap

I have just committed to buying a 390xl, so will know by the weekend how good they are and how big the gap is, we have been recommended to buy a pair of extra rear poles to help close this gap, we will see how that works as well

I will feedback more info when tried (in garden) so as not to bother fellow campers with verbals on first try!!

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Mike

The gap to MH does worry me, but I am not overly keen on drilling the skin of my MH to fit an extra rail, albeit somebody clearly already has to fit the Omnistor!!
I have just committed to buying a 390xl, so will know by the weekend how good they are and how big the gap is, we have been recommended to buy a pair of extra rear poles to help close this gap, we will see how that works as well
David

Sikaflex is the main fixing agent for our awning rail-but a couple of screws were needed to pull the rail flat against the van surface.

The rear poles work well and we also have the storm tie down kit.
Admittedly I had help the first time -we did it at Shrewsbury and served Pimms and strawberries to about 80 Funsters who spectated ::bigsmile:
I will be getting a 12v pump,but,feel confident that next time I will be able to do it in about 20mins.
Good luck,

Mike

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
How strange, I saw an awning over the weekend which I quite liked. In searching came across these inflatebale ones, whilst pricey looked pretty good. The only worry I had was the ground sheet being sewn in, as some sites semms to be having issues with them

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
As far as I can see these do not have a sewn in ground sheet, but I will know for certain later in the week, I will report back here

David

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
even if it has, it will be nothing a good pair of scissors or knife can't sort out if needed.

David

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Yes very true I must admit Ive never had a problem with any park but we don't tend to stay long

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It has arrived

It arrived yesterday, too wet to put it up, hoping to sneak off work early today and put it up. Update will follow..............

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Amazing awning

without wanting to sound like an advert for Kampa, we are delighted with our new purchase, they are the future. Having said that no instructions in with the awning created a few tense moments. PDF available on Kampa web page

For anybody else who gets one with no instructions, the air goes in to the large white valve, unfortunately my better half thought that, but I thought it was for letting the air out, I am now wiser and even more battered

I do think an electric pump would be better, the claim of 20 pumps is optimistic to say the least, but it is a really nice fit both height and snug to the MH side.

I would point out though, that our awning rail in the wind out Omnistor is just under 2.7m, the lowest height for the 390 XL, any higher then it would not have fitted well, it is far from obvious where the extra height would come from, it would simply lift the back corners. It claims to fit rail heights of 2.7 - 2.9m

It does not have a sewn in ground sheet, as apparently older models had. We are off to the Western Isles with it next week, if I can find out how I will post a photo or 2.

We paid ÂŁ750 in the end by hunting around, bought from Camping World, they are hard to find at any price.

Happy campers ::bigsmile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Sikaflex is the main fixing agent for our awning rail-but a couple of screws were needed to pull the rail flat against the van surface.

The rear poles work well and we also have the storm tie down kit.
Admittedly I had help the first time -we did it at Shrewsbury and served Pimms and strawberries to about 80 Funsters who spectated ::bigsmile:
I will be getting a 12v pump,but,feel confident that next time I will be able to do it in about 20mins.
Good luck,

Mike

We now have our 390XL, really pleased, see my post above so save me repeating. The gap to MH is not bad, I bought the rear poles on your suggestion it fits quite snug to wall, but the Omnsitor is quite slim and the rail is set almost halfway back when closed which helps.

Just need to find / invest in a 12V pump now, not sure the fittings will attach to my 12V compressor (typical) the quoted 12 pumps is ambitious I think (now know)

Thanks for you input

David

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It appears to have a sewn in sheet

Kampa seem to make excellent products, but do not have time to update their website, I think the one you can see is the caravan version, the one we now have is a MH version although it would fit a caravan as well, I think XL would be too tall for most caravans at 2.7 - 2.9m

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/kampa-motor-rally-air-390xl.html

I did not see this when searching, Johns Cross have them, the second photo shows a wide skirt approx. 150mm then all open apart from that

A great piece of kit, our awning rail height is exactly right for this size, not sure I would be happy with the fit if the rail was any higher, and the quoted 12 pumps is optimistic to say the least, a 12V version will be bought soon!!

Thanks for your interest

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back