Free Member
Jun 7, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
One
Hi folks. This is my first post. I've been reading the forum for a year or so, but I've paid my tenner today because I need help!
I have a 1997 Ducato based Bessacar, and all the lights etc work fine on EHU. However, when parked on my drive, I have no internal lights/power whether I am on leisure battery or cab battery settings. I initially thought it was a flat leisure battery, but it doesn't work on cab either even though I know this is fully charged.
Any suggestions before I put my hand in my pocket?
Many thanks in advance
Stuart

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I could be wrong as I don't know your van but I wouldn't have expected the hab power and lights to be wired to the cab battery as well as the leisure battery. So you may well be right with your diagnosis of a flat leisure battery.

OP
OP
S

SWOOD

Free Member
Jun 7, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
One
Calling Auto Electricians

Thanks for that. Pretty sure all lights were powered by cab battery before (but now you've got me doubting it)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi folks. This is my first post. I've been reading the forum for a year or so, but I've paid my tenner today because I need help!
I have a 1997 Ducato based Bessacar, and all the lights etc work fine on EHU. However, when parked on my drive, I have no internal lights/power whether I am on leisure battery or cab battery settings. I initially thought it was a flat leisure battery, but it doesn't work on cab either even though I know this is fully charged.
Many thanks in advance
Stuart

Do you understand your panel fully? Perhaps it has some setting that disables the battery totally?

In any case, you should get a multimeter across your battery terminals to read the voltage. My guess is that the panel is broken (or has a switch in the wrong place) rather than being just a flat battery.

OP
OP
S

SWOOD

Free Member
Jun 7, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
One

Thanks, my gut feeling was that it's the switch. It's a very simple panel - cab/ehu/leisure, so can't go wrong really. I suspect the switch over to cab/leisure is somehow kaput.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Stuat and welcome -check LB IS FULLY CHARGED-SHOULD READ AT LEAST 12.7V
Is the control panel switched to hab/lb ? there is usually a 12v kill switch on the panel that turns all 12v off from LB.make sure its on -
From the sound of it you can switch and charge both engine(cab) battery and LB -sometimes the rocker switch can be set in centre switching everything off :winky:one way will charge engine batt and the other LB
from what you describe I think your LB is goosed HENCE CHECKING IT.
ALL YOUR LIGHTS ETC IN THE HABITATION SIDE USUALLY RUN OFF THE LB and the engine batt is just for starting-If your lights etc come on when on hook up it is sugesting that the LB is not working and the lights etc will be running from the charger
hope I have made myself clear to you--if not get back, or someone will list things to check more clearly
terry

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
It might be worth looking to see if the fuse by the battery is ok,

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Put it on hook-up switch to leisure battery and then put a volt meter on your leisure batteries.
This will tell you if your on board charger is working and if your batteries are taking a charge.
Should be around 14.4 volts going in. (The control panel should allocate power to the onboard charger and the 240 V systems).
If you have a low reading 12.8 V or below it's an indication your charger is not working and needs to be fixed. Do this before replacing L.battery if Kaput!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I'm a bit thick so this may be stupid answer..... can someone tell me if the split fuse has gone would this make this problem happen for this man?

(Sorry, just trying to be helpful.):Sad:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I'm a bit thick so this may be stupid answer..... can someone tell me if the split fuse has gone would this make this problem happen for this man?

(Sorry, just trying to be helpful.):Sad:

Hi Joy, I ASSUME YOU MEAN SPLIT RELAY ? no that could charge either or both -power to fridge and charge LB but would not cause the problem on it's own :Smile:edit only works when engine is running
need to get answers to simple questions :winky:
Stu
if not on hook up does anything in the rear work ? lights etc ?
when on hook up what works?
if anything is working on HU = THEN THE SWITCH IS OK AND THE LB IS GOOSED=THE LIGHTS ETC DRAWING POWER FROM THE ON BOARD CHARGER
terry

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
It might be worth looking to see if the fuse by the battery is ok,

Some M/H have a 30amp blade fuse in a little black case thingee,near the leisure batt. Could be the fuse is blown.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Take leisure battery off, fully charge it. Once fully charged, put a draw on it (use a 12v work light or similar 12v product) Now take a reading with the meter - go back in ten mins and check again. If it drops considerably, or you can watch it drain, then it is dead, you need a new one. If only a fraction down, then it will be good.

Cab battery options are often disconnected as people fear having a flat engine battery and don't want to have the emergency option. It could also be a faulty engine battery - but I think you would be able to tell that by a slow or non starting engine. If it has enough to start, it should turn at least one light on.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Many thanks in advance
Stuart

Hi
I had a 20 amp fuse go near the leisure bat on my previous Bessie worth a look. I had lost 12v power. Pete

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Many thanks in advance
Stuart

the way I am reading this is you have power to lights etc when on hook up but nothing works when off hook up ?IF thats the case it points to the LB rather than the panel
terry

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
another possibility is the isolator relay that cuts 12v to the rear when the engine is running, has failed. worth checking anyway

OP
OP
S

SWOOD

Free Member
Jun 7, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
One

Thanks very much for the replies folks. I'll start with the easiest option, the fuse. Without sounding too thick, where is it? Is it in the glove box with all the others or does the LB have a special fuse? (1997 Ducato) Thanks again.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks very much for the replies folks. I'll start with the easiest option, the fuse. Without sounding too thick, where is it? Is it in the glove box with all the others or does the LB have a special fuse? (1997 Ducato) Thanks again.

the fuse should be close to the leisure battery, will be a blade type fuse and probably in a plastic/rubber housing.

just follow the positive battery wire back until you find it.

if it has blown, the question is WHY ?
could be a fault or could just be age.

if a new one of the same value blows suspect a wiring fault somewhere....DONT put in a bigger one, its there to protect the wiring from overheating.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks, my gut feeling was that it's the switch. It's a very simple panel - cab/ehu/leisure, so can't go wrong really. I suspect the switch over to cab/leisure is somehow kaput.

There are 2 possibilities here....

1. That is just a charger switch - set to charge either battery.

2. Switch lighting etc from leisure to starter battery - that's a pretty daft idea because one day you've no lights and can't start the engine.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There are 2 possibilities here....

1. That is just a charger switch - set to charge either battery.

2. Switch lighting etc from leisure to starter battery - that's a pretty daft idea because one day you've no lights and can't start the engine.

not unusual Brian.

quite a few have the multi position switch to either charge (on ehu) or use (off ehu) the hab or leisure battery depending how the switch is, errr, switched :RollEyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SWOOD

Free Member
Jun 7, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
One
Reply to John - it's an E600.
Tried the fuse and it's not that (unfortunately).
Leisure battery looks new, but I'll whip it out anyway and see if it will charge off my mains charger. Failing that, onboard charger? Any experience of prices/availability second hand anyone? Many thanks again.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Stop jumping the gun ::bigsmile: what reading are you getting off the battery?
Terry

OP
OP
S

SWOOD

Free Member
Jun 7, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
One
Terry, sorry, overlooked your earlier post. Everything works on HU. Nowt works off it.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry, sorry, overlooked your earlier post. Everything works on HU. Nowt works off it.

Right that tells us the switches etc are ok leaving fuses on 12v side which you said are ok that leaves your battery --looks new but if it has been discharged and left it will be Kn-----ed.:Eeek: hence my question what is it reading ?--take it to a car spares shop and they will test it and no doubt sell you another :Smile:
terry

OP
OP
S

SWOOD

Free Member
Jun 7, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
One

OK, next stupid question, how do I get the battery out? Looks like I need to remove the driver's seat. Surely not?

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
OK, next stupid question, how do I get the battery out? Looks like I need to remove the driver's seat. Surely not?

Yes on some MH you have to remove the passenger seat...or you could take the MH to a battery dealer to be tested

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
INSIDE OUR MOTORHOME ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE STEP IS A SWITCH IF THIS IS SWITCHED OFF THERE IS NO 12V POWER SO HAVE A LOOK AND SEE IF YOU HAVE THIS SWITCH ALSO IF THE ROCKER SWITCH ON THE CONTROL PANEL IS IN THE WRONG POSITION IE: IN THE MIDDLE THIS ALSO NOCKS THE 12V OFF.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Sad::Blush: Oh Gawwwd, here I go again. In my new van because it is awkward to get to the battery .. to save removing it there are two points under the bonnet so you can attach the 'thingies' to that test the battery. Check you don't have these also.. they arn't obvious when you first lift the bonnet up.

Right will go home now.:Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back