Stop 24 (1 Viewer)

Sep 8, 2010
Kent the white cliffs end
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur Lvx 8
Exp
Not long enough
Just got in from work but on the way home I popped in to the stop 24 services on the M20 for a quick tidds and there was about 15 motorhomes and a few tuggers parked for the night so I asked how much it was for the night £20 the chap said, bloody hell thats more than a camp site with leccy :Angry:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
...........and some folk are stupid enough to pay it even when there are plenty of free spots and cl/cs sites around the area for half the price incuding electric.:Doh:

Oooops, now I have probably offended someone ... sorry:winky:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
location in this case jj has nowt to do with it there is also sites as close as that stop and prolly without the noise its time this country woke up to the fact if there was more facilities for motorhomes then more people (dutch german etc) would visit here and spend cash here

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Location, location, location... :winky:

Plus a bit of convenience thrown in.

(Do you still get a reduction on your brekky included in the fee?)

JJ :Cool:

Can't be sure on that stop, but you do get breakfast on some of them, especially if it is more of a truck stop, still enough money though, and maybe only includes one breakfast

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
shunter
Sep 8, 2010
Kent the white cliffs end
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur Lvx 8
Exp
Not long enough
I will pop in and ask what you get for the £20 but personally if it was not for the fact I live so close I would always use the sea front in dover its free from 18.00 to 09.00 and you get a nice veaw in the morning:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Location, location, location... :winky:

Plus a bit of convenience thrown in.

(Do you still get a reduction on your brekky included in the fee?)

JJ :Cool:

With the offerings of British Service areas for breakfast - I would rather not have the breaksfast. I tried giving a tramp a breaksfast token from one of these services once - he looked at me and told me he had standards, and continued searching through the bin.:ROFLMAO:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If we do Dover France we always get 1900 or 2000 ferry and overnight on either Calais or Dunkirk ferry car parks. Gives you a decent start next day also. BUSBY ::bigsmile:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
...........and some folk are stupid enough to pay it even when there are plenty of free spots and cl/cs sites around the area for half the price incuding electric.:Doh:

Oooops, now I have probably offended someone ... sorry:winky:

The problem is that you arriving at 2am. Really tired. Can you arrive at a CS/CL? No. Can you be bothered to drive around trying to find somewhere safe and empty to park before you nod off? No.

They may be extremely expensive, but motorway services are VERY convenient for late night arrival. If they cost 10 quid, I would probably not stay anywhere else.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
The problem is that you arriving at 2am. Really tired. Can you arrive at a CS/CL? No. Can you be bothered to drive around trying to find somewhere safe and empty to park before you nod off? No.

They may be extremely expensive, but motorway services are VERY convenient for late night arrival. If they cost 10 quid, I would probably not stay anywhere else.
I quite see your point ....... however I plan my journeys so that I would never arrive anywhere at 2am .... and yes if I was really tired at any time of day I would stop for a break and take advantage of the two hour free parking if necessary.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I quite see your point ....... however I plan my journeys so that I would never arrive anywhere at 2am .... and yes if I was really tired at any time of day I would stop for a break and take advantage of the two hour free parking if necessary.

I specifically plan to arrive late at night on long drives. It can mean much cheaper ferries, doing much of the long distance drive with the children asleep instead of whining and spending more of the daylight doing touristy things instead of driving. Whilst I've never spent the £20 at a UK services and think it is too much, I could easily see myself doing so.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
They forgot to mention the ambiance of a motorway service area in Britain such as the scented are of frying coupled with diesel and urine aroma from our 'knights of the road'. Instead of the morning song of birds we have the all night serenade of reefer units and the early morning consumptive cough and their cheery banter and traditional greetings to each other,finally finishing with the crescendo of 12 litre Scania or Volvo firing up,matched only by a squadron of Spitfires or Lancasters 'scrambling' to fight the hun!
You don't get any of these 'delights' on a CL or CS.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
They forgot to mention the ambiance of a motorway service area in Britain such as the scented are of frying coupled with diesel and urine aroma from our 'knights of the road'. Instead of the morning song of birds we have the all night serenade of reefer units and the early morning consumptive cough and their cheery banter and traditional greetings to each other,finally finishing with the crescendo of 12 litre Scania or Volvo firing up,matched only by a squadron of Spitfires or Lancasters 'scrambling' to fight the hun!
You don't get any of these 'delights' on a CL or CS.

Still, at least you could start a generator and have air conditioning. Besides, I prefer to park next to a load of rough looking truckers. Safety in numbers.

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
Horses for courses

:Smile:
Convenience and £20 over say £12 is a net diff of £8. So in some circumstances that would be acceptable to me.

Also it is for the spot and not head count which some sites are?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Still, at least you could start a generator and have air conditioning. Besides, I prefer to park next to a load of rough looking truckers. Safety in numbers.

One of my favourite places I have stopped was a truck park in Spain just south of the French border on the way to Zaragoza drivers of all nationalitys , free and a view for miles over the plains plus a roadhouse sort of cafe in the middle, that changed into a restaurant at 8 o clock , don't know exactly where it was but hope to find it again sometime, the atmosphere in the cafe was brill, everyone talking different language and getting along fantastic , we were the only mh there but they all interested where we were from and stuff. Only prob was the fridge lorry s but they all seemed to keep together at one end and we were at the other so not too bad::bigsmile:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
One of my favourite places I have stopped was a truck park in Spain just south of the French border on the way to Zaragoza drivers of all nationalitys , free and a view for miles over the plains plus a roadhouse sort of cafe in the middle, that changed into a restaurant at 8 o clock , don't know exactly where it was but hope to find it again sometime, the atmosphere in the cafe was brill, everyone talking different language and getting along fantastic , we were the only mh there but they all interested where we were from and stuff. Only prob was the fridge lorry s but they all seemed to keep together at one end and we were at the other so not too bad::bigsmile:

I tend to seek out the fridge lorries. They're less likely complain of the noise.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back