Arsonists set fire to couple's vintage converted motorhome (1 Viewer)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
PM3149641JG240703BUS_3-Medium-5325565.jpg

A couple have spoken of their horror after their beloved motorhome was torched by arsonists.

Matthew Hands and Sinead Carnie were asleep at her Bulkington home when their renovated 1974 Leyland bus went up in flames.

The distinctive vintage vehicle was parked just yards from the village library in School Lane when firebugs struck in the early hours of Sunday .

Not only did Matthew lose almost all of his possessions, but 41-year-old Sinead revealed that police could have been forced to start a murder investigation as the couple often slept in the motorhome.

She said: “We were in bed and heard shouting from outside and a girl was screaming as the bus was on fire and she didn’t know if anyone was inside.

"We could see smoke and Matthew jumped straight off the balcony and kicked in the door to get the fire extinguisher.

"I ran down stairs after and couldn’t see him anywhere and was screaming his name as I thought he was inside it.

“But he was actually around the other side using the extinguisher trying to fight the flames.

"There could easily have been someone in there as we do sleep in it some nights at different locations, so someone could have died.

"To whoever did it, it was probably just vandalism, but it could have been so much worse.”

As well as losing nearly all of his belongings in the fire, Matthew, also 41, is having to come to terms with the loss of the motorhome, which Sinead said was his “pride and joy”.

She added: “He has spent years renovating the bus and it is well-known and loved all over the country.

"Everywhere we travel people stop, wave, smile, take pictures and ask to come on board. We have travelled all over the UK in this bus and this has destroyed a huge part of our life.

“His clothes were all on there and his belongings and everything. He has now just got some shorts and T-shirts to his name.

“We are both devastated but we will get another and move on in our lives despite this horrific attack.”

Warwickshire Police confirmed they were called to School Lane at about 4.25am on Sunday and are currently treating the incident as arson.

However, Sinead said: “The police have done nothing at all and didn’t even take the names of witnesses at the time.

"We have had lots of messages though from people in the village saying how horrible it is that this has happened and how much character it brought to the village.”

Anyone with information can call police on 101 and quote incident 81 of July 21.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/look-arsonists-set-fire-couples-5325637

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think it is only fair and proper to categorically state there is no truth in the rumour that this vehicle had recently been rewired by JJ & Buttons, Electrical Logic Contractors.:ROFLMAO:
Did you have an early night.::bigsmile:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I had a Bedford CF Autosleeper that went up in flames on its own account no arson involved.

It had ben parked outside the house from November and it went up in February. The fire brigade said it started in the steering column and spread to the closed curtains.

I was painting in the house and was only aware of it after a knock on the door by a passer by.

I also lost a lot of items in this fire although most of it was smoke damage as we got there fast. I had a hose and the fire brigade took second to completely extinguish the fire.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
assuming it was arson with no proof !.....

more likely it was an electrical fault....and strangely, the fire was at the back end....where the engine lives

has anyone tried to set a bus alight....where do you start ????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I am impressed. all day and nobody has picked up on the situation of Matthew living in Sinead's home unregistered with the dhss as living at that address etc. Is that not how the thread normally goes. :Sad:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I am impressed. all day and nobody has picked up on the situation of Matthew living in Sinead's home unregistered with the dhss as living at that address etc. Is that not how the thread normally goes. :Sad:

Why?

She works for the council .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I wonder where all my cloths and possessions are...Oh, i know.....i left the lot in the RV.....:Doh:

“His clothes were all on there and his belongings and everything. He has now just got some shorts and T-shirts to his name."

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
assuming it was arson with no proof !.....

more likely it was an electrical fault....and strangely, the fire was at the back end....where the engine lives

has anyone tried to set a bus alight....where do you start ????

Petrol tank? break window and throw petrol soaked rag in? stuff cardboard under the rear wheel arch and torch it?, just a few ideas to mull over

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Oh dear I feel this is [STRIKE]drifting[/STRIKE] rapidly moving off topic.
pages on it will be 'how to torch a bus'!
If it is arson any words I used to comment would soon have me banned!

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
A few facts dont normally get in the way of a good post.

There are things we know that we know.
There are known unknowns.
That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know.
But there are also unknown unknowns.
There are things we do not know we don't know.
And on Motorhome Fun we have Buttons.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Oh dear I feel this is [STRIKE]drifting[/STRIKE] rapidly moving off topic.
pages on it will be 'how to torch a bus'!
If it is arson any words I used to comment would soon have me banned!
What words are these then bigfoot:winky::roflmto:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
There are things we know that we know.
There are known unknowns.
That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know.
But there are also unknown unknowns.
There are things we do not know we don't know.
And on Motorhome Fun we have Buttons.
This is not the only forum where I am held in such high esteem Shifty. :roflmto:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I bet when the claim goes in it was immaculate and full of expensive possessions

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
[FONT=&quot]I have met this lovely family they may not have had a hymer deluxe all singing all dancing but it was there motorhome they had worked so hard on.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]With many fond memories off holidays past but are hardworking would not steel from any one not even an insurance company[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]are probably feeling very upset at this time at the loss of their motor home they are the kind of people who would put out the hand of friendship to help anyone even someone with a top of the range motorhome how many of you can say or be seen to do that [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I see it all the time when out with the motor home someone with a older van broken down in a lonely country lay bye and the nice new van owners nose up in the air just pass by muttering hippies[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most motor homers wouldn’t even pee on them even if they were on fire[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [FONT=&quot]Just an old bus to some of you but there pride and joy [/FONT]
bill[/FONT]

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there was a time some years back that we couldn't afford a "proper"motorhome and had to build our own. at the time we looked on our van as the doorway to our dreams and as much part of the family as we were. we would of been devastated if that happened to us.

I also agree that many turn their noses up at home brew vans, as if the owners were Itinerants or new age travellers and not worthy of respect. in truth these people know every inch of their conversion as the built it with their own hands. few here would be able to do it or even know where to start. when the vehicle breaks down it tends to be a huge deal to them and very emotional.

manys the time that we have helped people on rally fields when their pride and joy has developed a problem. it got to the stage that we visited THS's with the C&CC regularly and people would come knock the door of our van and ask for help. to me it was repaying the kindness of others when i first started out and i was proud to know i had helped and made a difference.

these days I have health issues that stop me doing too much, but i will always stop to see if there's anything we can do, even if its just advice on how to fix the problem. too many snobs out there that couldn't care less about those they see as below them:winky:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
there was a time some years back that we couldn't afford a "proper"motorhome and had to build our own. at the time we looked on our van as the doorway to our dreams and as much part of the family as we were. we would of been devastated if that happened to us.

I also agree that many turn their noses up at home brew vans, as if the owners were Itinerants or new age travellers and not worthy of respect. in truth these people know every inch of their conversion as the built it with their own hands. few here would be able to do it or even know where to start. when the vehicle breaks down it tends to be a huge deal to them and very emotional.

manys the time that we have helped people on rally fields when their pride and joy has developed a problem. it got to the stage that we visited THS's with the C&CC regularly and people would come knock the door of our van and ask for help. to me it was repaying the kindness of others when i first started out and i was proud to know i had helped and made a difference.

these days I have health issues that stop me doing too much, but i will always stop to see if there's anything we can do, even if its just advice on how to fix the problem. too many snobs out there that couldn't care less about those they see as below them:winky:
i like this post a man after my own hart :thumb: and sod the snobs and the ones that se every under privleged family as parisites thay need to get a life :Angry:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
[FONT=&quot]I have met this lovely family they may not have had a hymer deluxe all singing all dancing but it was there motorhome they had worked so hard on.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]With many fond memories off holidays past but are hardworking would not steel from any one not even an insurance company[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]are probably feeling very upset at this time at the loss of their motor home they are the kind of people who would put out the hand of friendship to help anyone even someone with a top of the range motorhome how many of you can say or be seen to do that [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I see it all the time when out with the motor home someone with a older van broken down in a lonely country lay bye and the nice new van owners nose up in the air just pass by muttering hippies[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most motor homers wouldn’t even pee on them even if they were on fire[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [FONT=&quot]Just an old bus to some of you but there pride and joy [/FONT]
bill[/FONT]

I was commenting at the use of the word VINTAGE

VETERAN=From the first Benz till 1910

VINTAGE=1910-1930

PRE WAR= 1931-1939

POST WAR=1945-1955

ETC ETC

It was a 1970s Bus, irrespective of how nice it was, how nice the people that own it are and what a shock it's been to them AND AT WHICH I COMMISERATE WITH THEM AT THEIR LOSS

It wasn't VINTAGE:Sad:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I see it all the time when out with the motor home someone with a older van broken down in a lonely country lay bye and the [HI]nice new van owners nose up in the air just pass by muttering hippies[/FONT][/SIZE][/HI]
[
Nice one bill
[HI]I don't care if some think it was a piece of junk[/HI]
/QUOTE]

and [HI]sod the snobs and the ones that se every under privleged family as parisites thay need to get a life [/HI]:Angry:

Inverted snobbery?

Get over it! it wasn't VINTAGE it was a 70s bus and by the look of the inside, a pit :Angry:

Shinny72

Free Member
Apr 17, 2016
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Bus
Exp
7yrs
Wow. Just came across this ... it was our bus. For the record it was arson. The tyres were on fire and the fire brigade confirmed it. Matt did lose everything because that was his home after he split with his ex and left the family home. All his posessiions were on that bus.All his clothes were on that bus. The contents were NOT INSURED.
We were not living together at the time , it was early days in our relationship. We were both working and paying taxes so we didn't need to inform the DSS of anything.
I can't put into words how something like this affects your whole life. It is devestating.All the ignorant judgemental comments here really upset me at 1st but I realise that nasty minded ignorance is just part of life. I chose not to be like that. I hope something as senseless and hurtful happens to you and maybe you will understand. And thanks for the supportive comments on here, anyone that's met us knows we are good kind people and didn't deserve what happened. Shit happens in life and you move on. We did.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back