Top Gear Top Caravanist cars on now.. (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Excellent. Pmsl :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It's their attention to detail that impresses me most :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
you can see how thoroughly they do their research, :ROFLMAO:t the genuine bit was definitely James May laughing at The big daft one. still enjoy the show though, what did the guy from Areoswft look like. :Eeek:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I found nothing funny at all; they bought stuff and threw it into the bin, nothing wrong with it at all. They then destroyed two caravans and its contents, damaged two cars.

Aerosmith plank, destroyed a car, he was 65 going on 12, very juvenile. :Blush:

The Hampster went to Italy to drive a £2M car. Which must have been flown into the UK to go around test circuit the result of which was binned because it’s not road legal. :Doh:

They even ‘admitted’ that there was nothing new (Porsche 911) in their show and their isn’t either, it’s the same stale same old juvenile rubbish.
“They say his eyebrows are made of steel” etc.:Eeek:

They have destroyed a caravan in a previous series, the set it on fire and threw it off a cliff.
Yep, it has its fans, yep it’s funded by the taxpayers, yes its crap, and yes it needs taking off the air and that smug look on the presenters faces wiped off, permanently.

Well past its sell by date.:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sounds brilliant, missed it yesterday, will iPlayer it this evening. Looking forward to it::bigsmile: One of the few shows that everyone in our house finds funny.

As an aside, why do people watch shows they don't like:Doh: Anything on the telly I don't like and its off or over, too many nice things to do that sit through something I'm not enjoying.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Sounds brilliant, missed it yesterday, will iPlayer it this evening. Looking forward to it::bigsmile: One of the few shows that everyone in our house finds funny.

As an aside, why do people watch shows they don't like:Doh: Anything on the telly I don't like and its off or over, too many nice things to do that sit through something I'm not enjoying.

Tis alright,

Shiftzz was doing research for his grumpy old man slot on another channel.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Tis alright,

Shiftzz was doing research for his grumpy old man slot on another channel.

Not at all..
How anyone can find two 'adult' men driving to B & Q filling up their trollies with brand new stuff, then taking it to the recycling centre and dumping it in a skip, that is NOT funny.

If anyone does, then please go to a B & Q spend £200 on goods, bring it to the next meet and I will take it to the tip for you, lets see how much you smile then. Better still add your laptop and mobile phone and that will make it hillarious. NOT. I bet not one funster will take up this offer.

The Lamborghini Sesto Elemento, they have only ever made 20 for track use only, so the relevance to the average UK TV Licence payer is NIL, it was only to fill in air time and fulfill these three morons over inflated ego's.

Aerosmith - Jeeze, a 65 yo who pretended to be Mick Jaggers brother so he could get his leg over. Besides "Walk This Way", very little spring to mind?

Deleted User
Never watch it, an accidental few seconds is enough. Infantile, moronic humour??????

About as funny as a wet f***t

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Richard Hammond of Top Gear discovers the joys of touring in a VW campervan

http://www.caravantimes.co.uk/news/motorhomes/volkswagen/richard-hammond-of-top-gear-discovers-the-joys-of-touring-in-a-vw-campervan-$21379920.htm

Hammond, who has penned two books about caravanning; A Short History of Caravanning and Richard Hammond's Caravan Confidential, has been more of a sympathiser to the Great British touring tradition than his colleagues, Jeremy Clarkson and James May.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I found nothing funny at all; they bought stuff and threw it into the bin, nothing wrong with it at all. They then destroyed two caravans and its contents, damaged two cars.

The Hampster went to Italy to drive a £2M car. Which must have been flown into the UK to go around test circuit the result of which was binned because it’s not road legal. :Doh:

They even ‘admitted’ that there was nothing new (Porsche 911) in their show and their isn’t either, it’s the same stale same old juvenile rubbish.

They have destroyed a caravan in a previous series, the set it on fire and threw it off a cliff.
Yep, it has its fans, yep it’s funded by the taxpayers, yes its crap, and yes it needs taking off the air and that smug look on the presenters faces wiped off, permanently.

Seems you watched it all then.:ROFLMAO:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not at all..
How anyone can find two 'adult' men driving to B & Q filling up their trollies with brand new stuff, then taking it to the recycling centre and dumping it in a skip, that is NOT funny.

If anyone does, then please go to a B & Q spend £200 on goods, bring it to the next meet and I will take it to the tip for you, lets see how much you smile then. Better still add your laptop and mobile phone and that will make it hillarious. NOT. I bet not one funster will take up this offer.

The Lamborghini Sesto Elemento, they have only ever made 20 for track use only, so the relevance to the average UK TV Licence payer is NIL, it was only to fill in air time and fulfill these three morons over inflated ego's.

Aerosmith - Jeeze, a 65 yo who pretended to be Mick Jaggers brother so he could get his leg over. Besides "Walk This Way", very little spring to mind?
Bet the crew retrieved all the goods from the tip.Its not real, its a program.::bigsmile:

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
As I understand it the Top Gear brand is owned jointly between Clarkson the shows producer Andy Wilman (making them very wealthy but meaning the BBC don't have to pay them huge salaries) & the BBC so no tax payers money would be spent on the making of the show, the very popular world wide live shows + the magazines DVD's etc, Top Gear the tv show has been the BBC biggest selling export show in recent years generating millions in revenue that can be then spent on other shows for those that don't love Top Gear. If Clarkson is throwing anything away smashing it up or setting it on fire seems like its coming out of his own pocket, With regards to the latest HyperCar test I for one want to see it getting bounced of the rev limiter tyres shredding in clouds of smoke, we are never going to get a chance to try it for ourselves ( unless those 6 numbers pop up ) I don't want to know the boot size or mpg figures of the latest eurobox I can go to my local showroom for that
TOP GEAR... Long may it live :thumb:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
As I understand it the Top Gear brand is owned jointly between Clarkson the shows producer Andy Wilman (making them very wealthy but meaning the BBC don't have to pay them huge salaries) & the BBC so no tax payers money would be spent on the making of the show, the very popular world wide live shows + the magazines DVD's etc, Top Gear the tv show has been the BBC biggest selling export show in recent years generating millions in revenue that can be then spent on other shows for those that don't love Top Gear. If Clarkson is throwing anything away smashing it up or setting it on fire seems like its coming out of his own pocket, With regards to the latest HyperCar test I for one want to see it getting bounced of the rev limiter tyres shredding in clouds of smoke, we are never going to get a chance to try it for ourselves ( unless those 6 numbers pop up ) I don't want to know the boot size or mpg figures of the latest eurobox I can go to my local showroom for that
TOP GEAR... Long may it live :thumb:

Not so, https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/requ...ch/html/3/RFI20081232 final response.pdf.html

The BBC makes the Prog not Clarkson. I think he 'co owns' Bedder 6 a company, responsible for exploiting the Top Gear brand. It was founded by presenter Jeremy Clarkson and executive producer Andy Wilman in October 2006.

So the BBC 'gave them' the rights to exploit TG overseas. He does not spend a single penny of his own money producing the prog.
Therefore the stuff they threw in the skip was not their in the 1st place.

The BBC messed up in allowing Jeremy Clarkson and Andy Wilman the rights to anything, JC was and in a paid employee. Its called a BBC Cockup..

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
May I also add, that, Just because you do not find it funny, does not mean that it is not funny.

Roy Chubby Brown- My mates used to swear he was the most funniest thing in the world. I hated him, he's successful, so he must be funny to some but not me.

I just love top gear and see it for what it is.

I mean, last week they made a Hovervan, now that was classic.

As for Aerosmith? socks and sandles, he's human. :thumb:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98

One question - why did you watch it to the end?

:Eeek:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp

Actually, I think it's good of Dave (Shiftz). He actually goes out of his way, to watch something he clearly hates, all in the name of research.

How on earth could he manage such an unbiased view and take part in this thread without doing so..... Respect. :winky:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
"Top Gear (2002-) is a BBC show about cars and motorsports, and the UK's number one motoring show. Airing on BBC Two, Sunday nights at 8pm, the show takes a light-hearted and often hilarious look at cars, motoring and destroying caravans. Top Gear is currently hosted by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May.

Top Gear first orginally aired in 1977 as a 30 minute long show. It was a fairly conventional magazine show reviewing new cars and following other car-related issues and news. The show became much more popular in the early 1990s with the arrival of Jeremy Clarkson, who helped steer the show into becoming more humorous and controversial. Following Clarkson's departure from the show in 1999, the show lost over half its audience, prompting the BBC to cancel the series in 2001. The remaining presenters jumped ship to a new network and launched a similar show, Fifth Gear.

Top Gear returned in 2002, under a new format pitched by Jeremy Clarkson and executive producer Andy Wilman. The show was lengthened to one hour and introduced new elements, such as The Stig, and new features: Star in a Reasonably Priced Car, Power Laps, the "Cool Wall", and a car news segment. In addition, there are frequent features such as competitions between the presenters, races, and fairly outlandish stunts."

Any Programme which started being broadcast in 1977, and evolved over the years must be regarded as a success surely??

I think it is probably the only programme which we all love to watch in our house - and that includes myself our son and grandsons!!

Ginny and Mike

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007

Good question,, simple answer , the rest of the progs were worse and I was working on something whilst the TV was on. (The white Queen or soething)

Paul, its not what you see is what you get, its all set up and the hovercraft next week, all the 'punters' in the restaurant are actors.! :Doh:

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Jeremy Clarkson's success was in danger of becoming embarrassing for the BBC. Arguably it already has as the BBC won't say how much it has paid to buy out the Top Gear motormouth from his share of the profits of Top Gear's commercial activities.

But given that the business generated £15m in pre-tax profits in the last year for which full figures are available, at a first glance it might be speculated that a 30% share could be worth as much as £10m, or even £15m. However, on Twitter, Clarkson chose to describe these maths as "seriously wrong" and the word is that it would be fairer to talk about a lower seven-figure number.

No wonder, then, the BBC is reluctant to spell out the exact deal it has struck to remove Clarkson from their Top Gear joint venture. But it is extraordinary how fast Top Gear has become such a lucrative, global property – in which a fortune has been handed to Clarkson even though the programme existed long before its most famous presenter arrived.

It was in 2008, to keep Clarkson on board, that corporation executives agreed to share with him 30% of a company designed to exploit Top Gear commercially. Fellow Repton school alumnus, and Top Gear's producer, Andy Wilman, got 20% – with the BBC putting in £100 to own the rest.

That will have seemed like a good idea at the time, saving the BBC from paying Clarkson perhaps another £1m a year in presenter's fees out of the BBC licence fee. Except, Top Gear turned out to be wildly lucrative, rapidly becoming one of the BBC's most successful brands, alongside Strictly and Doctor Who.

Top Gear spread globally with ease – last year Top Gears launched in China and South Korea, joining the likes of the USA (where it can be seen on the History Channel). The magazine is published in 31 countries. Even Top Gear Stunt School, a £1.99 iPhone, iPad app has been downloaded at least 2.4m times.

The accounts demonstrate how rapid progress was. Top Gear Ltd (actually the company is called Bedder 6, but it amounts to the same thing) generated a modest pre-tax profit of £2.9m in 2008/9 the first full year of trading under the new Clarkson-BBC joint venture. Just two years later, in the year to March 2011, the last full set of accounts available, profits had soared fivefold to £15.2m.

Kinda of reminds of George Lucas saying " I'll make Star Wars for a little payout but I want the rights to all the toys" OK sniggered the studios :Smile:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Good question,, simple answer , the rest of the progs were worse and I was working on something whilst the TV was on. (The white Queen or soething)

Paul, its not what you see is what you get, its all set up and the hovercraft next week, all the 'punters' in the restaurant are actors.! :Doh:

Blimey - you're a fortune teller too...........................:Eeek:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Jeremy Clarkson's success was in danger of becoming embarrassing for the BBC. Arguably it already has as the BBC won't say how much it has paid to buy out the Top Gear motormouth from his share of the profits of Top Gear's commercial activities.

But given that the business generated £15m in pre-tax profits in the last year for which full figures are available, at a first glance it might be speculated that a 30% share could be worth as much as £10m, or even £15m. However, on Twitter, Clarkson chose to describe these maths as "seriously wrong" and the word is that it would be fairer to talk about a lower seven-figure number.

No wonder, then, the BBC is reluctant to spell out the exact deal it has struck to remove Clarkson from their Top Gear joint venture. But it is extraordinary how fast Top Gear has become such a lucrative, global property – in which a fortune has been handed to Clarkson even though the programme existed long before its most famous presenter arrived.

It was in 2008, to keep Clarkson on board, that corporation executives agreed to share with him 30% of a company designed to exploit Top Gear commercially. Fellow Repton school alumnus, and Top Gear's producer, Andy Wilman, got 20% – with the BBC putting in £100 to own the rest.

That will have seemed like a good idea at the time, saving the BBC from paying Clarkson perhaps another £1m a year in presenter's fees out of the BBC licence fee. Except, Top Gear turned out to be wildly lucrative, rapidly becoming one of the BBC's most successful brands, alongside Strictly and Doctor Who.

Top Gear spread globally with ease – last year Top Gears launched in China and South Korea, joining the likes of the USA (where it can be seen on the History Channel). The magazine is published in 31 countries. Even Top Gear Stunt School, a £1.99 iPhone, iPad app has been downloaded at least 2.4m times.

The accounts demonstrate how rapid progress was. Top Gear Ltd (actually the company is called Bedder 6, but it amounts to the same thing) generated a modest pre-tax profit of £2.9m in 2008/9 the first full year of trading under the new Clarkson-BBC joint venture. Just two years later, in the year to March 2011, the last full set of accounts available, profits had soared fivefold to £15.2m.

Kinda of reminds of George Lucas saying " I'll make Star Wars for a little payout but I want the rights to all the toys" OK sniggered the studios :Smile:

Indeed Dave, you are right, the only problem is that TopGear and the BBC refuse to say how much it costs to make, the second question is how JC was allowed to be in charge?

Top Gear may cost £xxx to make which is paid for by the TV licence, the merchandise etc and the exploting the brand abroad is as a result of TopGear and not Bedder, they just exploit something that was made by the BBC, no different from the 'Top of the Pops' LP's in the 1970's the BBC failed to protect themselves and lost a fortune.

Bedder is simply 'exploiting' the failure of the BBC in managing its assets, as always..The cid test would be for JC to produce his own programe and have it aired on ITV, I bet it would fail. A number have thought that they could make it big on 'non BBC' and failed.

George Lucas is different, JC is a paid member of staff of the BBC, he is contracted to them to make the prog. It all stinks of BBC cockup.

Overall winner? JC.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp

Do you really think, that most educated people or even uneducated people do or did not know that?

It's for effect, the thought of them being real punters is a laugh in itself :Doh:

The people on the bridge weren't actors, they were simply told that top gear were filming, and do you really think that if they had of knocked that man in to the water out of his rowing boat we would not of seen it on the front page of the Sun ot Mail

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
About 6 years ago we drew the conclusion that it was the same programme repeated every week or so with slightly different formatting. Stopped watching it as it was a bit predictable and quite puerile.

However, it is the BBC's biggest selling export and apparently makes a lot of money for them all, so clearly this household must be in a minority. If it is on, another channel is selected, but good luck to them for keeping people entertained for so many years

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back