Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I have not done the Land’s End to John O’Groats bike ride since 2006. Don’t know why but I
just got the urge to have a second bash at it. My route sticks mostly to the north coast of
Cornwall and Devon then over the toll bridge up to Hereford, Shrewsbury, Wigan, Lancaster,
and Carlisle. The Scottish bit will be Glasgow, Loch Lomond, Fort William, Inverness and
then the A9 to the finish. My lovely wife will do the support in our navy blue Hymer Exsis. If
you spot me or her please give us a honk. All being well we set of from LE on Wednesday,
July 31.

I’ll have a yellow tee shirt with “When can it do Errands?” in big letters on the back, (my
autobiography). Some say it’s the best autobiography since Angela’s Ashes (but to be honest,
it’s mostly me that says it.) You guys gave me a real boost last year with a bit of free
promotion and far more downloads than I dared hope for.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
two masochist ones were ran over just the other week near summercourt not far from itchy feets old place . road was shut on one side for hours . both killed .
be careful .there is talk about banning them as several have been knocked off recently .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
How long do you expect it will take to do this?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
two masochist ones were ran over just the other week .

It is a real problem now. The roads are in such a bad state they can fall into the holes and come off or get knocked off by avoiding them.

The solution is simple, make them ride proper bikes then the traffic is not constantly squeezing past them.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It is a real problem now. The roads are in such a bad state they can fall into the holes and come off or get knocked off by avoiding them.

The solution is simple, make them ride proper bikes then the traffic is not constantly squeezing past them.

Is this them things they lie down on, WTF is the idea of them, nearly had a couple of them knocked off the other day, you have enough things to look for never mind someone lying in the road:Eeek: what do they get out of them, mustn't be able to see anything off them, never should be allowed on roads where there are motor vehicles for their own safety

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
happened on the smoothest road you could want the main a30. between the mitchell turn off and the chapel town end of summer court . the bikes were heading northerly . on the duall carriageway .proper push bikes not anything fancy . seems like theres a lands end to john ogroats leaving nearly every day these days . i only live half a mile from the a30 so see them frequently . think the main roads need avoiding . there are enough small routes they could take .if its not bikes its walkers .
think hildweller is like me real bikes have motors what do you say brian .

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is this them things they lie down on

No, motorbikes. Not mobile chicanes.

We saw a recumbent trike in Germany, a disabled guy "pedalling" with his hands but lying flat on his back with his head propped up a bit. Top of his head was not much over a foot off the road surface. Looked like a suicide attempt.

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
Tim is doing LEJOG (on masochist bike!)as we speak(write)! :Eeek: Today was Day 3 Bristol to Shrewsbury. They got very wet yesterday better today I think. They avoided A30 after hearing about those 2 cyclists getting killed. We spent along time planning the route to avoid main roads where possible.
Good luck Bernardfeay on your 2nd go! :thumb:

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Last time it took 13 days in the saddle and 19 days overall. I was only a young lad then so I should be at bit faster this time at 67.

Wow, just under 70miles per day on a mountain bike ( did you swaped tyres to road tyres) tall order, enjoy your next ride.

AndyPandy

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Is this them things they lie down on, WTF is the idea of them, nearly had a couple of them knocked off the other day, you have enough things to look for never mind someone lying in the road:Eeek: what do they get out of them, mustn't be able to see anything off them, never should be allowed on roads where there are motor vehicles for their own safety

Yes, that's the answer.... I've got too much to look for so ban them :Doh:

To the op, fantastic effort on your part Sir. If you where coming near me I might join you for a day, but good luck and keep us posted :thumb:

Andy

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Wow, just under 70miles per day on a mountain bike ( did you swaped tyres to road tyres) tall order, enjoy your next ride.

Yes, I swapped the nobbly tyres for some that are much slicker. Otherwise it would be like riding with big 50 pence wheels.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Recumbent bike

I rode from Scotland to Dorchester in 2006 on a recumbent tricycle and what was noticeable was how much I was noticed by other drivers who took much more care passing than if I was on a normal bike. In 550 miles, I only had one carve up by white van man on a country lane. For me? Recumbent trike every time!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes, that's the answer.... I've got too much to look for so ban them

Sorry, did I say ban them, don't think so ,we had just been talking about two cyclists getting killed , doesn't matter who was to blame they are still dead and these things that you don't see till the last moment are more dangerous than ever, I was thinking of their safety not who is to blame.
Have you got one,?

AndyPandy

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
never should be allowed on roads where there are motor vehicles for their own safety

Sorry, i thought you did

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Recumbent bikes were originally developed for disabled riders (perhaps they shouldn't be allowed on the road either?)
A recumbent should have an pennant raised high enough for other road users and particularly lorry drivers to see them, especially at junctions.

The general intolerance in this country to all things cycling is very sad. When cycling in France, Spain or Italy the only aggressive behaviour I have ever come across was from vehicles with a GB plate:Doh:

It doesn't matter whether you ride a race bike, mountain, BMX or recumbent, have a bell or not, someone is always moaning about cyclist. On my commute to the office (all .7 of a mile) I can guarantee that someone will step off the pavement in front of me at least 3 times a week! They don't even look, I assume they think that as they can't hear a car coming it must be clear. :Doh:

To the OP - all the best for your End to End challenge, I hope you have a great time and not too many saddle sores.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Recumbent bikes were originally developed for disabled riders (perhaps they shouldn't be allowed on the road either?)

They will be more disabled if they get f...ing run over:Eeek:
I ride bikes but I wouldn't dare ride one of them things, why does everyone on here take things so personal,
Have you ever seen a cyclist lying in the road after breaking a car windscreen with his un helmeted head, I have and won't ever forget it.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
It's called 'freedom of choice' and this should be protected at all times. No I haven't witnessed a cyclist being involved in a traffic accident, thank goodness, but I have lost two friends who where knocked down by careless drivers. At the end of the day it was their choice to ride their bikes on the road, as it is mine. I would fight tooth and nail to defend that right.

By the way I am not taking it personally, I am putting forward a different point of view to yours.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The general intolerance in this country to all things cycling is very sad.

We have so many narrow roads. Bicycles are a danger to themselves and others.

Germany, what a difference, huge proper cycle lanes all over the place. It can work under those conditions.

And cyclists can be their own worst enemy. They are slow. They are on narrow roads and what do we often see, cyclists riding side by side. Talk about red rags and bulls !

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Believe it or not Bristish Cycling actually encourage riding in twos when in a group. When I did my BC Leaders Course this is the formation they say is the safest way of riding on the roads, something to do with drivers having to overtake you as though your were a vehicle rather than squeezing by and pushing you off the road.

Does it really hurt to slow down a bit on your journey to wait until it's safe to pass? We all drive too fast anyway, especially out in the country side, there could be anything around the next corner?

Anyway, I'm off out to ride my bike!!

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
Day 4 Shrewsbury to Preston. Tim and his cycling buddy, Bill,did today's stint without getting too wet!! 93 miles, average speed 15.3mph.
Tomorrow 108 miles to Carlisle!! :Eeek:

On Saturday they got very wet :rain:(Tavistock to Bristol) including Tim's phone which gave up the ghost! :Doh:

So it is now sealed inside a bag of rice (next best thing to silica gel apparently, good old Google!)

Will let you know how that goes. :whatthe:

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
Day 4 Shrewsbury to Preston. Tim and his cycling buddy, Bill,did today's stint without getting too wet!! 93 miles, average speed 15.3mph.
Tomorrow 108 miles to Carlisle!! :Eeek:

On Saturday they got very wet :rain:(Tavistock to Bristol) including Tim's phone which gave up the ghost! :Doh:

So it is now sealed inside a bag of rice (next best thing to silica gel apparently, good old Google!)

Will let you know how that goes. :whatthe:

blimey thats quick i only can do 25 miles before I get the knock!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Believe it or not Bristish Cycling actually encourage riding in twos when in a group. When I did my BC Leaders Course this is the formation they say is the safest way of riding on the roads, something to do with drivers having to overtake you as though your were a vehicle rather than squeezing by and pushing you off the road.

Does it really hurt to slow down a bit on your journey to wait until it's safe to pass? We all drive too fast anyway, especially out in the country side, there could be anything around the next corner?

Anyway, I'm off out to ride my bike!!

Yes I can see the logic of the bigger target.

OK, so why should we motorists have to slow down to allow you to indulge your inappropriate method of transport. Same applies to horses on roads. There are many out there on tight schedules delivering your bread who do not drive too fast at all and just need to earn an honest living. Get a few cyclists a day, their stress levels go up and we have the makings of an accident.

It's not about being nice, it's about being human.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
93 miles, average speed 15.3mph.

Mighty good going.

But take care, that speed is at best half of the slowest speed limit you encountered and in places one quarter.

That's 6 hours pedalling. Now I'd have enjoyed that in two.

AndyPandy

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Yes I can see the logic of the bigger target.

OK, so why should we motorists have to slow down to allow you to indulge your inappropriate method of transport. Same applies to horses on roads. There are many out there on tight schedules delivering your bread who do not drive too fast at all and just need to earn an honest living. Get a few cyclists a day, their stress levels go up and we have the makings of an accident.

It's not about being nice, it's about being human.

I have heard "motorists" make the same argument about Motorhomes,

Funny that eh

What I find when out cycling is the best drivers time their overtake we'll so don't end up on my shoulder having to floor it to pass, they just pull out and cruise past me like I am a slow car or moped or horse or tractor or anything else that doesn't constantly do the limit

In reality, in my experience there seems to be room for us all

Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back