mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm in the process of adding some additional 13 amp wall sockets and in the process of doing so I have found that the existing wiring has been installed using 30amp flex cable?? is this normal ???:whatthe:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yes it is normal.

domestic PVC T+E cable isnt flexible enough for a mobile installations and will break with vibration.

even commercial/industrial single core cable , which is stranded, is too rigid so flex is the only real solution.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
2.5 takes 27 amps
1.5 takes 19 amps
often circuits are protected by a 10 amp or a 6 amp MCB so realistically 2.5 is overkill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
2.5 takes 27 amps
1.5 takes 19 amps
often circuits are protected by a 10 amp or a 6 amp MCB so realistically 2.5 is overkill

Thanks Techno100, that's what I think after all if I plugged in a normal household electric fire (1000 watts) into the MH circuit this would throw the trip or the campsite's trip , so, would it be OK to use standard 2.5 flex to spur off (adding two more sockets)?.......30amp flex is also a lot more expensive than 2.5

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Your hook up cable is only going to carry 16 amps max and is protected
Nothing in your van in total can draw more than that.
2.5 flex is completely fine and you can add as many sockets as you like as it is not possible to exceed the current rating.

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
yes it is normal.

domestic PVC T+E cable isnt flexible enough for a mobile installations and will break with vibration.

even commercial/industrial single core cable , which is stranded, is too rigid so flex is the only real solution.

Thanks pappajohn but I cant see were your coming from are you really saying that 2.5
three core flex cable is not flexible enough ? ...bearing in mind that this type of cable is dominate throughout the house/industry where appliances such as kettles, vacuum cleaners,TV, lawn mowers, saw's, lighting equipment... just to name a few
PS, I have been using my electric extension reel for over twelve years, I whine it out , whine it back isn't that flexibility...sorry perhaps you can enlighten :whatthe:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
John is saying flat twin and earth/domestic hard wiring is not suitable. It is hard drawn solid conductors and is not made to accept vibration.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks pappajohn but I cant see were your coming from are you really saying that 2.5
three core flex cable is not flexible enough ? ...bearing in mind that this type of cable is dominate throughout the house/industry where appliances such as kettles, vacuum cleaners,TV, lawn mowers, saw's, lighting equipment... just to name a few
PS, I have been using my electric extension reel for over twelve years, I whine it out , whine it back isn't that flexibility...sorry perhaps you can enlighten :whatthe:

John is saying flat twin and earth/domestic hard wiring is not suitable. It is hard drawn solid conductors and is not made to accept vibration.

Andy has cleared up the misunderstanding. :thumb:

even in a domestic situation we have to securely fix PVC twin/earth cables to the building structure......and houses dont move or vibrate.

the single core i referred to is basically the same stuff, but stranded instead of solid, without the PVC outer sheath.

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I'm not convinced flexible cable has any great advantage over stranded for motorhomes when most of the accessories used have terminals suitable for solid/stranded cable.

Flexible cable conductor will migrate away from the compression screw in a tunnel terminal and could lead to overheating of the accessory, so, connection units (spurs) have clamp terminals to overcome the problem.

I think the best thing to do, for wiring sockets/lighting switches in a MH, is use flexibles and tin the terminations.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I crimp two conductors into one yellow pin crimp

These are extra long and I cut down to suit
Link Removed

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm not convinced flexible cable has any great advantage over stranded for motorhomes when most of the accessories used have terminals suitable for solid/stranded cable.

Flexible cable conductor will migrate away from the compression screw in a tunnel terminal and could lead to overheating of the accessory, so, connection units (spurs) have clamp terminals to overcome the problem.

I think the best thing to do, for wiring sockets/lighting switches in a MH, is use flexibles and tin the terminations.

all flexible cables should either be soldered or have a crimp-on ferrule fitted to stop that very problem, no matter what the installation....but in the DIY world they seldom do.

$T2eC16ZHJGMFFoywWR!5BRucjo(yTw~~60_12.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp

absolutely!! I've just fitted to spur boxes..soldered the wire ends first..as I've always done gives the retaining screw something to bite on!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
not sure about the becker ones but i found cbe 240 stuff to small and there are no earth terminals i just joined the earths with crimps out side of the back boxspurs in particular are difficult to wire well, crimps on spades have to be uninsulated to fit

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
The advice so far is great. You are probably already aware, but looking at safety first, you do also have to take into account cable runs. Unless you are using H07 or similar, you need to ensure that the flex stays away from anything with a heat source. You must also clip the flex to the something firm if it runs anywhere near anything that might move and trap the flex.

I'm not sure what regulations apply, but ideally you need to maintain a distance between a socket and water such that you cannot touch both simultaneously although our Bessacarr doesn't follow that ex-factory!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Close proximity of water and electric points is not an issue with RCD/RCBO protection.

BUT don't put the light switch inside the shower LOL even if it is only 12 volts

All motorhomes /caravans have 230 volt outlets near the sink

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back