Free Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
10 months
Just got me a Vodafone dongle. 3gigs and £15 a month with 18 month contract. Nothing to pay for the dongle. Just plugged it in to USB port and it was up and running in no time. I was told by the salesman that it had brilliant cover in Europe.
I can now log onto the FUN anytime, anywhere.
I'm going off to play with it now.::bigsmile::thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If it's as good as my T-Mobile dongle you will be OK.

Just a caveat on Europe though. The coverage may be good but check the roaming charges before you use the dongle over there to avoid a possible shock.

Graham

OP
OP
B

bigal

Free Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
10 months
Thanks Graham, for the advice re using the dongle in Europe. I'll check with Vodaphone before I use it there.
Al

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
checked out T-mobile on saturday.......same deal, free dongle,£15 on 18mth contract, 3gb fair useage limit. free use of ALL t-mobile hot spots.:thumb::thumb:
then asked about european use.....£7.50 per meg :whatthe::Eeek::whatthe::Eeek:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi the 3 dongle is the same price, with the added advantage that if you connect in Ireland, Austria, Italy and Sweden it will cost you nothing as long as you stay inside your price plan gig limit. Now if they can just do that in France and Spain we will be sorted.

Olley

M

mani01

Deleted User
>>>Now if they can just do that in France and Spain we will be sorted.

can't speak for spain, but i've recently returned from france and will pass on two tips, one may be illegal ?

firstly, stop in busy towns and scan for unsecured wifi networks to log on to. its not a good idea to up/download pictures and videos, but i found a few emails and then a quick scarper probably wont even get you noticed.

secondly, get to like mc.donalds coffee (it really isnt at all bad). maccy deez has free "illimitee" (unlimited) wifi access which worked to some degree or another at every mc.d. i stopped at. i felt obliged to buy *something* in the restaurant in exchange for 15 minutes on their wifi. look at it this way, you get very cheap coffee !!!

ok, i said two ways, but there is a 3rd. many towns seemed to have a commercial wifi system installed and it happened to be the only unsecured network. you get a splash screen that comes up and invited you to pay some money on your credit card to register and use it... i avoided paying for access simply by using the above two methods.

t-mobile data rates are a total rip off. i encountered the same prices quoted me (7.50 per meg) from t-mob customer services, and the lady in customer service APOLOGISED to me for their rediculously high data costs. i kept the nokia software loaded onto the laptop just in case an emergency happened and i needed to use t-mobile web/email urgently, thankfully no emergency happened, and i got away with what i consider free wifi all around france.

hope this helps alleviate some worries !!! cheers, al

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
The warnings about roaming charges reminded me of our short (approx 3 weeks) visit to the Maritime provinces of Eastern Canada.

I have a fixed $29.95/month "unlimited" plan for my air card with T-mobile and was vaguely conscious that they had a roaming charge when we were outside the U.S., but didn't pay much attention to it. I left the air card on all the time, just as I do across the states, and proceeded to do my normal online stuff.

Next month my bill included a charge of over $2,000 (1,000 quid) for roaming.

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Just got me a Vodafone dongle. 3gigs and £15 a month with 18 month contract. Nothing to pay for the dongle. Just plugged it in to USB port and it was up and running in no time. I was told by the salesman that it had brilliant cover in Europe.
I can now log onto the FUN anytime, anywhere.
I'm going off to play with it now.::bigsmile::thumb:

Vodafone

£9.99 per 24 hours in selected countries,
£4.99 per MB in other countries.
Visit vodafone.co.uk/goabroad for more info :Eeek:

so I did not get one will just use my wifi where I can

Ralph

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
The warnings about roaming charges reminded me of our short (approx 3 weeks) visit to the Maritime provinces of Eastern Canada.

I have a fixed $29.95/month "unlimited" plan for my air card with T-mobile and was vaguely conscious that they had a roaming charge when we were outside the U.S., but didn't pay much attention to it. I left the air card on all the time, just as I do across the states, and proceeded to do my normal online stuff.

Next month my bill included a charge of over $2,000 (1,000 quid) for roaming.[/quote]

Crikey Tom.

Bet that came as a shock and a warning to all.

Hidden in the "small print" no doubt.:Doh:

Last edited:
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Bet that came as a shock and a warning to all.

Yes it did, but don't tell the missus.

Hidden in the "small print" no doubt.

Not that small. I can only blame myself for not being conscious of it during the trip and for not being more frugal with my online time. When I received the bill, I called them up and they walked me through it. I couldn't argue and just paid the bill and put it down to experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
hi ive just returned from france and spain.
i bought a 3g payg dongle and stuck £25 on it and bought the 7gig which lasts for thirty days,it works a treat in the uk but in france and spain the signal is a bit iffy but it did the job got my emails etc.
the roaming charge for 3g is £3 per meg i used approx 4 megs while abroad
and theres still plentey left.
i didnt go for the contract because i only need it when im away in the van, so a tenner gets you 1gig for thirty days which is fine for me in the uk:Smile:

mark.

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
Yes it did, but don't tell the missus.

Not that small. I can only blame myself for not being conscious of it during the trip and for not being more frugal with my online time. When I received the bill, I called them up and they walked me through it. I couldn't argue and just paid the bill and put it down to experience.
h tom,
:Eeek:my hubby would have passed out at this especially as i would have had some great mileage from it, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: makes my clothing and shoe bill insignificant, i am sure your missus wold understand as i am sure you would be when she spends a similar amount on herself:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: don't worry your secret is safe with me:thumb:
ruth

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
LOL Ruth, appreciate you being able to keep the secret.

as i am sure you would be when she spends a similar amount on herself

I must be very lucky, because she rarely spends money on herself and, when she does, she shops around for bargains. She gets rewarded though e.g. we're currently in a quilting/embroidery store and I just bought her a new machine that makes my roaming charges look like chump change. She's having her first lesson as I type.

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Lateral move - wifi access on CC sites £5/hour! Rip off or what

Yes its a rip off but as always in this country, people with money will just pay, they are not bothered if it right or wrong, they will just pay up. In other counties if something is wrong (like this is, I only pay £12.00 month for unlimited at home), they will not pay and therefore prices come to a reasonable level, i.e. free if you are a member, or have already paid for a pitch..

Ralph

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Lateral move - wifi access on CC sites £5/hour! Rip off or what

Yes, it's expensive but what alternative did the CC have? When they went for the deal what else was on offer? It's only in the last 3 months or so that competition forced the price of dongle deals down.

We bought weekly deals at CC sites in London & Edinburgh in January & February because, at the time, it was the cheaper alternative. It was only in March that the dongles available from 3 and T-Mobile (the one we went with) came down sufficiently in price to be competitive (for us) on an annual basis. Vodafone has since followed but, on the day we compared prices, wasn't as good as the other two.

The problem is that the Kezone (and BT Openzone) networks are aimed at employees of companies which pass on the charges to their customers along with other overheads - a totally different market from home broadband. There isn't a similar product aimed at holidaymakers so, faced with demand from its members, the CC had no option but to go with what was on offer if it was to go with anything.

It may be a rip-off but, if anyone at all is to blame, it isn't the CC but the providers of the hotspot networks.

Graham

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Slightly off topic but it may interest some of you, I want to use my PAYG 3 dongle on my boat but can't get a signal so i need to reposition the dongle away from the laptop.

In order to do this I have just purchased 5 - 3 metre USB extensions from the 99p store and it works, the only problem is i can only connect 3 of the extensiosn together as any more and the dongle is not reconnised so if any of you need to do the same only buy 3

hope that helps someone

Braunston

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Dongles !!!!

i am in portugal frequently and use the orbitur campsites which are open all year and give excellent discounts for longer stays (3 weeks or more) all their sites are wi-fi ! say no more !!!!!!!!!

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
Hi
There are various reasons why Vodafone is the best which because of the time and i'm trying to relax rather than thinking about more feckin' computers i will post as soon as i can, by the way the hole in my coach is even bigger now:shout:

I will post pics of it tomorrow along with my reasons about vodafone

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
I have managed to us 3 usb dongle in italy without any extra charge.

Used the dongle twice in France and that cost me just over £15 more on top of my usual £15 a month charge.

I used Macdonalds FREE wifi in France and Switzerland. In the one place I tried in Germany at Breisach am Rhine it came up with me to register or pay T-Mobile! i asked at the counter if it was free wifi they said yes but I couldn't get past the registration or pay bit!

I have found some cafes have free wifi but some say its free but when you try to connect nothing happens. they either haven't enabled me to use it or ???

You can sometimes get Orange but have to pay by card 10€ for 3 hours so you can go on line as many times as you like until you have used up your 3 hours. It only last for 30 days though.
Last time in France Apr to June I found far fewer unsecured sites.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back